NRL to play Double header in Perth

14 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

I guess that when games are thousands of miles away from heartlands then double-headed make sense. 

In the UK, 150 miles at most, not so 

Is Perth not 200 miles or so away from SL headquarters? - its north of Edinburgh anyway.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Eddie said:

Tbf unless this Perth one is part of a bid to expand the NRL into WA it’s not part of a strategy either. 

If the WA government is willing to pay a lot of money for it, it could be.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

Is Perth not 200 miles or so away from SL headquarters? - its north of Edinburgh anyway.

Yes, I think it is 270 miles from West Yorkshire.

I visited last year, it's further than I imagined from the central belt.

53 minutes ago, Jughead said:

The NRL have had games in Perth for a few years. It would appear to be part of some kind of strategy to me. 

This is rugby league. Let's not jump the gun.

• Haha 1

new rise.jpg

The Western Australian Government have spent $160m up-grading HBF park and are desperate to have more tenants for it.

Another interesting reason that often gets put forward for the  W.A. Gov`t`s enthusiasm for hosting League games and wanting a club is that W.A. has one of the lowest interstate immigration rates of all the states in Oz -  i.e. W.A. has a hard time attracting permanent workers from the Eastern states for its` booming resource rich economy.

Having their own Rugby League team in that state is seen as offering one aspect of something culturally similar to the eastern states, in particular to potential workers from N.S.W. and Queensland. Both of which like W.A. have large resource industry sectors and a corresponding large amount of  potential employees trained in the resource sector. And are often very keen followers of Rugby League.

Edited by The Rocket
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Jughead said:

The NRL have had games in Perth for a few years. It would appear to be part of some kind of strategy to me. 

Could be, but the RFL have had games in Blackpool for a number of years and there doesn’t seem to be much of a strategy there. 

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Could be, but the RFL have had games in Blackpool for a number of years and there doesn’t seem to be much of a strategy there. 

I think there’s a big difference between games of the magnitude of Origin and NRL games to second tier games in a weekend nobody really gets. 

8 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Was there ever any strategy about holding the big bash in Blackpool?  If there was a never see it. I just regarded it weekend on the lash and watching TGG at Championship level. I wasn't aware of any plan to get a semi professional club in Blackpoll again, but others will know more than me

Edited by The Future is League

10 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Was there ever any strategy about holding the big bash in Blackpool?  If there was a never see it. I just regarded it weekend on the lash and watching TGG at Championship level. I wasn't aware of any plan to get a semi professional club in Blackpoll again, but others will know more than me

If there was a plan it would have come from people in Blackpool, not the RFL. I guess that’s where the English and Australian games differ, ie they plan a lot of things centrally and we leave it all up to individuals. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Eddie said:

If there was a plan it would have come from people in Blackpool, not the RFL. I guess that’s where the English and Australian games differ, ie they plan a lot of things centrally and we leave it all up to individuals. 

Eddie mate we`re along way from being geniuses on the planning front as well otherwise we`d have a team in Perth for at least ten years by now ( 25 if the Reds had never been left to fold ) a second team in Brisbane years ago and we`d be looking at heading into a 20 team comp by the end of the decade. Instead we`ve let our main rival get the jump on us nationally and now we`re paying the price with the value our contrasting broadcast deals.

Any way hopefully things are on the move now just like you blokes are pushing into France.

• Like 5