Giants v Salford GF

I think Huddersfield and Salford are both very similar, they both seem like well run clubs who are doing well on and off the field but are both hampered by their stadium situations, ours been way too big for us and us not having a visible presence there anymore and Salford for it's location away from their traditional home, we both also suffer from lack of fans according to most but what i can say is us and Salford have probably got the most loyal and passionate fans in the game, no success but those that do go stay when times are tough, indeed the noise the other week with only 4,000 in the ground was as good as any stadium or sets of fans i've heard in my time watching the game.

It would be interesting to see what would happen to crowds at either were a major trophy to come their way, Salford had their 2019/20 final appearances, we've had a top 4 finish and cup final this year, although in 2009 when we reached the cup final and finished 3rd and in 2013 when we won the LLS our crowds actually fell the following year so it will be interesting to see how we fare next year on the back of a fairly successful season, similarly Salford who were hampered by the covid outbreak following their successful years.

One thing is for certain if both or one of them get to the GF it's bloody well deserved.

• Like 3

Oh and just to clear up what appears to be a fair bit of confusion on here....

Man Utd aka Utd/Red Devils

Man City aka City/Citeh/Blue Noses/Berties

Salford City aka Salford/The Ammies

If you hear the name "City"🤮 mentioned around these parts it most definitely is not referring to Salford City!!!😁

51 minutes ago, SalfordSlim said:

Oh and just to clear up what appears to be a fair bit of confusion on here....

Man Utd aka Utd/Red Devils

Man City aka City/Citeh/Blue Noses/Berties

Salford City aka Salford/The Ammies

If you hear the name "City"🤮 mentioned around these parts it most definitely is not referring to Salford City!!!😁

Why not just put Manchester in front of the team names then to avoid confusion 😉 

1 hour ago, daz39 said:

Why not just put Manchester in front of the team names then to avoid confusion 😉 

Because we aren't as easily confused. We know City means the "Noisy Neighbours"

Salford City are new comers to the professional ranks.

I thought it was great when Salford got to the Grand Final 3 years and took so many fans. Its just a pity Covid meant it was difficult to capitalise on that.

Salford do seem to have a large latent fanbase/interest that comes out for the big occasions, like the last game at the Willows, the play off semi final v Wigan and obviously the Grand Final.

21 hours ago, Damien said:

I thought it was great when Salford got to the Grand Final 3 years and took so many fans. Its just a pity Covid meant it was difficult to capitalise on that.

Salford do seem to have a large latent fanbase/interest that comes out for the big occasions, like the last game at the Willows, the play off semi final v Wigan and obviously the Grand Final.

Don’t forget the famous 1996 5th round tie victory over wigan.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

So what. Iy's how you play not how many fans you have. Silly post.

Chill out marra.

Id take a new name on the super league trophy and lowest grandfinal crowd over another saints, wigan or Leeds win.

• Like 1

On 01/09/2022 at 17:20, daz39 said:

I like the idea of the prefix being the local authority they call home.

Thus Manchester City

Salford City

Trafford United,

• Haha 1

On 29/08/2022 at 17:14, Tosh said:

I agree but potentially the lowest GF crowd?

But that is the problem. They haven't won anything in 30 years so it's a low crowd, because of that the grand final will be low. If they won the grand final their attendance would rise. we can't have the same teams winning all the time.

Just now, The Lad said:

But that is the problem. They haven't won anything in 30 years so it's a low crowd, because of that the grand final will be low. If they won the grand final their attendance would rise. we can't have the same teams winning all the time.

That's fine. The compromise is obvious however; Salford, Huddersfield, Castleford, etc. can all win a Grand Final, but to make it commercially successful they need to beat a Leeds, Wigan or St Helens etc to do so.

13 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

That's fine. The compromise is obvious however; Salford, Huddersfield, Castleford, etc. can all win a Grand Final, but to make it commercially successful they need to beat a Leeds, Wigan or St Helens etc to do so.

Wigan and St Helens are the best two teams, to win anything they must beat them. But anyone can see that the same team winning the grand final 4 years in a row is not good for the game. Salford and Giants is the best GF for the growth of the league in the short term. 

We need to take a page out of the NRL book 90% of the teams have won the grand final in the last 20 years, but we don't have the money. But i think an new team winning the big one will help the league.

10 hours ago, The Lad said:

Again I agree.

I want a new name on the super league trophy and I’ll take a low grandfinal crowd in order to get this.

• Like 1

On 02/09/2022 at 18:40, Tosh said:

Don’t forget the famous 1996 5th round tie victory over wigan.

Was at that game, at the final whistle my mate turned to me and said "thank fek that (cup run) is over with". To which I heartily agreed.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

On 04/09/2022 at 00:06, The Lad said:

Easy peasy: just pick the 2 Grand Final teams at random.  That should pull in the crowds. 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Tosh said:

Again I agree.

I want a new name on the super league trophy and I’ll take a low grandfinal crowd in order to get this.

I don't.  I want the trophy to bear the name of the club that won, no matter which clubs take part. 

It's already been pointed out that 9 different clubs have appeared in the Grand Final. Bradford winning three times hasn't done them a lot of good.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Easy peasy: just pick the 2 Grand Final teams at random.  That should pull in the crowds. 

I know that is a slightly tongue in cheek comment but you are essentially right with what some people are saying.

As history has proven, to win the Grand Final you will have to beat one of Leeds, St Helens or Wigan. If you can't do that, you aren't good enough to be Champions.

We are fortunate that we have 3 really strong clubs. Even when one or even two have an off year, the other(s) are still there to keep the competition honest. Wishing those 3 clubs away doesn't make the competition better at all imo.

• Like 2