Travel costs to France

11 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Fair enough, but they don’t have to charter a flight. As Oliver pointed out above there are return flights to Girona from Leeds for less than two hundred quid. 

And just on this point the flights out from Leeds to Girona, Barcelona and Carcassone were sold out within an hour of the end of Saturday's game. I know because I watched them disappear as I tried to coordinate a group of people as they disappeared! Manchester soon followed. Leeds would have had to have someone standing over Skyscanner on full timetwaiting to press the button to get what they wanted.

More generally I don't believe Leeds are complaining but they were stating the facts, probably in the futile hope that people reading it thinking £800 was an obscene amount understood why it would cost that much. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Damien said:

Remember when some posters mocked Toulouse when they said they would be out of pocket £500,000 in travel costs for a full season? I expect the same level of derision towards leeds if they are saying it will cost them £100,000 for 1 game.

By what standard though Damien, are Leeds looking at 5 star expense or budget prices?

8 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Have you checked the Friday price? It’s amazing that part time Welsh and Northern Irish football teams fly all over Europe playing European club matches without moaning about the cost, they go to far more inaccessible places too. 

Again who is moaning? You've decided that's what's happening for reasons that I can only speculate about.

• Like 1

I don't know why Leeds don't hire a couple of cars and drive it themselves. Yes this is elite sport and the playoffs, and differences in recovery will affect results, but surely hire car or Ryanair is the most we deserve as a sport?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, M j M said:

And just on this point the flights out from Leeds to Girona, Barcelona and Carcassone were sold out within an hour of the end of Saturday's game. I know because I watched them disappear as I tried to coordinate a group of people as they disappeared! Manchester soon followed. Leeds would have had to have someone standing over Skyscanner on full timetwaiting to press the button to get what they wanted.

More generally I don't believe Leeds are complaining but they were stating the facts, probably in the futile hope that people reading it thinking £800 was an obscene amount understood why it would cost that much. 

Manchester isn’t sold out, I’ve just been on Skyscanner. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Come back with a quote and then we can compare.

I've just booked one for a client, Humberside to Ibiza return. For her party size it was significantly less than buying commercial tickets and comfortably less than £20,000.

There may be an element of last minute in the pricing they got, but it's excessive in my opinion.

Edited by David Shepherd

5 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

They go literally once a year. Maybe twice.

And, from experience of having the ear of some good folk at the MIGHTY BLACK AND GREENS, quite often end up out of pocket as a result.

I'm not even sure what Leeds are doing can count as complaining. They're literally just saying what it costs and that, in order to cover some of that, they can accommodate a few fans too.

No fair enough Leeds aren’t specifically moaning here, but as you know some clubs do moan about the cost of going to France, to the extent that they make Toulouse pay for them to go.

Also our teams only go twice a year too unless they get drawn away in the play offs, and they don’t pay for one of those trips. And the south of France is far more accessible than the far flung places that the likes of Glentoran and Bangor City have to go to, in their much smaller budgets. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, V02 said:

I don't know why Leeds don't hire a couple of cars and drive it themselves. Yes this is elite sport and the playoffs, and differences in recovery will affect results, but surely hire car or Ryanair is the most we deserve as a sport?

We shouldn't have ideas above our station.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

The bit people don't really seem to understand is that when you are taking a squad of 17-20 players plus coaches and support staff, you don't get the Skyscanner price for you and your mate, because almost certainly you are taking up all of the excess capacity. Just like when you take the last ticket on a plane it costs a hell of a lot more than if you bought it three months in advance.

• Like 4

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

5 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Manchester isn’t sold out, I’ve just been on Skyscanner. 

I've spent more time than is healthy looking at these flights so I can tell you in a bit of detail what is going on with them (in short, that MAN - GRO flight was sold out on Jet2's website Saturday evening but there were still a few seats not taken when you got to the choose your seat screen. I suspect these were allocated to agencies as if you looked around you could find them on places like Last Minute). They've since been released back by Jet2 which now has a total of two seats available).

More importantly if I pitched up at MAN at 4am on Friday morning and saw the Leeds players there as bleary eyed as I no doubt will be, waiting for the 6am flight to Girona then I'd think something had gone seriously wrong in their approach to preparing for the biggest game of the season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Gubrats will do a coach for €50 all in if someone can sort parking. He emailed but the reply came back in French.

• Like 2
  • Haha 8
  • Sad 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Sounds like Leeds are moaning to me, if they don't like the cost forfeit the game. 

• Confused 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Just now, M j M said:

Tell us more about this moaning you think you've heard.

You missed the press release. It's a dig at the cost of travelling to France not an add for a an experience of a lifetime.

• Like 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

8 minutes ago, M j M said:

I've spent more time than is healthy looking at these flights so I can tell you in a bit of detail what is going on with them (in short, that MAN - GRO flight was sold out on Jet2's website Saturday evening but there were still a few seats not taken when you got to the choose your seat screen. I suspect these were allocated to agencies as if you looked around you could find them on places like Last Minute). They've since been released back by Jet2 which now has a total of two seats available).

More importantly if I pitched up at MAN at 4am on Friday morning and saw the Leeds players there as bleary eyed as I no doubt will be, waiting for the 6am flight to Girona then I'd think something had gone seriously wrong in their approach to preparing for the biggest game of the season.

Fair enough 👍