Fighting in Catalan

4 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Never felt threatened at Craven Park weirdly.....in fact I've found people the fans there to be on the more friendly side then most

Good for you. I take it you don't doubt me? I've no reason to make it up. It was 20 years ago and believe me they did not take kindly to being thumped at home. I'll go further. We were spat at and had everything they had to hand thrown at us. The stewards stood on stony faced and let it pass.

Edited by Rene_Artois

13 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

There is 100% a real anti-french club mentality creeping in being led by a few SL and Championship clubs and if one digs deeper it's not Einstein to see who is one of the major persons behind it (No names mentioned but easy to work out) 

I have absolutely no idea which persons you're referring to, would you care to enlighten those not in the know?

There’s always a ###### or #######s wherever you go. Thankfully most of them are policed by their mates, or at least few in number in RL.

• Like 1

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

Sadly in football, alcohol is not the only ‘fuel’ some sad acts will turn to in order to get their kicks.

Its pretty well public knowledge, that a certain drug can cause an even greater loss of inhibition and a heady and dangerous combination of self confidence (bordering on arrogance) plus feelings of great energy.

Add to that the fervour of a sporting occasion and it’s not hard to see why things like England football matches can be a magnet for idiots.

I’m not saying drink isn’t the main problem, but sometimes what happens in football fan culture can seep into rugby league fan culture.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Rene_Artois said:

Good for you. I take it you don't doubt me? I've no reason to make it up. It was 20 years ago and believe me they did not take kindly to being thumped at home. I'll go further. We were spat at and had everything they had to hand thrown at us. The stewards stood on stony faced and let it pass.

Not saying you are lying just presenting another side 

The take him is that single incidents matter 

It takes huge amounts of effort for clubs to make new fans. Takes 30 seconds to lose them forever 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, David Shepherd said:

What a bizarre thing to write

Not at all as its exists there are a handful of SL clubs that are 100% against French clubs in SL and a few Championship clubs as well and they are 100% becoming more vocal as their backs are against the wall.

Expect as we approach the IMG big announcement this to increase as the turkeys are not going to vote for Christmas are they?

Paul

Edited by ATLANTISMAN
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, David Shepherd said:

Let's be honest about it, there are incidents at a lot of games.  In my 30 odd years watching Fev, I think the only place I've never seen any bother is Batley.

There's always a few knuckle draggers on both sides ready to duke it out, especially when they're full of Stella.

Really? 🤔

2 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

sometimes what happens in football fan culture can seep into rugby league fan culture.

The belief that they are separate cultures often leads to RL sticking its head in the sand.

The videos that people put up showing outright thuggery towards other players and abuse of the ref that come out of amateur RL would result in life bans in soccer. They often pass in RL circles with variations of the RU "high jinx" defence.

• Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 hours ago, Rene_Artois said:

We had bottles and pints of warm, yellow liquid thrown at us at Craven Park around the same time, even now there's always a few numpties appear when they lose or are losing.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The belief that they are separate cultures often leads to RL sticking its head in the sand.

The videos that people put up showing outright thuggery towards other players and abuse of the ref that come out of amateur RL would result in life bans in soccer. They often pass in RL circles with variations of the RU "high jinx" defence.

I take your point and to be honest it’s probably already here.

I do think there’s a fuzzy area where trends in football fan culture are borrowed and applied.

Also of course there’s a big crossover between people liking both sports.

The best tool is to make the crowd as family orientated as possible and self police or use the stewards where appropriate.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

40 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

IMO the main reason we get less trouble in RL is simply a numbers game.  We have fewer fans overall,  which means fewer nob-heads too. But they can behave equally as bad. 

3 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Sadly in football, alcohol is not the only ‘fuel’ some sad acts will turn to in order to get their kicks.

Its pretty well public knowledge, that a certain drug can cause an even greater loss of inhibition and a heady and dangerous combination of self confidence (bordering on arrogance) plus feelings of great energy.

Add to that the fervour of a sporting occasion and it’s not hard to see why things like England football matches can be a magnet for idiots.

I’m not saying drink isn’t the main problem, but sometimes what happens in football fan culture can seep into rugby league fan culture.

I think the Football and RL culture are much closer than this and always have been. I think some clubs certainly have an element of kids wanting to be wannabe football hooligans at a RL match (probably because they dont actually have the balls to do so at football).

It's not particularly a recent thing either, as a kid in the 80s I saw plenty of trouble and my Dad point blank refused to take me to Warrington in particular. I also remember a fair bit of trouble at a Wigan v Salford semi final at Burnden Park and being **** scared as a young kid with Salford fans attacking cars and jumping all over them on the way home. Small numbers yes but it has always been there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Damien said:

I think the Football and RL culture are much closer than this and always have been. I think some clubs certainly have an element of kids wanting to be wannabe football hooligans at a RL match (probably because they dont actually have the balls to do so at football).

It's not particularly a recent thing either, as a kid in the 80s I saw plenty of trouble and my Dad point blank refused to take me to Warrington in particular. I also remember a fair bit of trouble at a Wigan v Salford semi final at Burnden Park and being **** scared as a young kid with Salford fans attacking cars and jumping all over them on the way home. Small numbers yes but it has always been there.

I agree and perhaps should have been clearer in my post.

There’s certainly a lot of crossover between football fan culture and rugby league fan culture.

My point really is to flag up that it’s not just idiots on the booze causing the issues.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Not at all as its exists there are a handful of SL clubs that are 100% against French clubs in SL and a few Championship clubs as well and they are 100% becoming more vocal as their backs are against the wall.

Expect as we approach the IMG big announcement this to increase as the turkeys are not going to vote for Christmas are they?

Paul

I think that the scenario you describe only exists in your head.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Dave T said:

IMO the main reason we get less trouble in RL is simply a numbers game.  We have fewer fans overall,  which means fewer nob-heads too. But they can behave equally as bad. 

you get trouble at low level soccer matches where crowds are very low. Hooliganism in rugby league was rife in the 1970s. It is nothing like that now. 

https://fanbanter.co.uk/non-league-match-abandoned-by-police-after-trouble-breaks-out-at-half-time/

Edited by Gordon Street