RLWC Positivity Thread

PDRL and watching the Women's RL documentary really bought home to me, beyond the excitement of the game itself, why RL is great. The WC is a showcase for all that is good about the game (and it is on the BBC!)

• Like 4

Eggchasers podcast (rugby Union pod) spent about 15 mins in RL World Cup and suggested that Australia could be the best pure rugby team in World. Words used were Australia’s about opening defensive sets were “ There is absolutely nothing in Union I can compare it to”. 

Internationals get coverage and deep into wider sports coverage the rest of the game simply don’t.

• Like 9

7 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Eggchasers podcast (rugby Union pod) spent about 15 mins in RL World Cup and suggested that Australia could be the best pure rugby team in World. Words used were Australia’s about opening defensive sets were “ There is absolutely nothing in Union I can compare it to”. 

Internationals get coverage and deep into wider sports coverage the rest of the game simply don’t.

I just hope the powers that be can see what we’re seeing and hearing and don’t let the grass grow under their feet AGAIN!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, redjonn said:

Still buzzing on the no try... even it just touched the line the acrobatics of the player trying too keep it in was exceptional...

That was just shown on SSN this morning. Once again good for them to show the WC. 

• Like 1

One good thing the NRL is doing in their coverage of the WC is posting the highlights of every game on their Youtube channel which has 242k subscribers. 

They obviously post the highlights of every NRL game so to get some comparison the viewing statistics for the NRL finals games are as follows: 

• Average views - 170k
  • Lowest views - 138k
  • Highest - 222k (Grand Final Highlights)

Keep in mind these highlights have all been up for at least a month now and closer to 2 months in the cases of the earlier weeks.

Looking toward to WC highlights we're seeing some positive viewing numbers for the big teams: 

• So far 6/15 highlights posted are over 100k views
  • Both Kangaroos games are over 200k views (Fiji 202k) and Scotland (232k) has already exceeded the 2022 NRL Grand Final after just 3 days online

I'm no expert on the Youtube algorithm but I understand it works understandably to push content to viewers that reflects other content of a similar nature that is getting views, as such the performance of these highlights will likely push all RL content up the algorithm so to speak and indeed the WC highlights should continue to get more exposure on Youtube the longer the tournament goes on. Overall this could be considered a fairly positive response so early on with the oldest WC highlights only being up on the channel for 9 days compared to the month or more the Grand Final/Finals series has been accumulating views.

• Like 2

Wales. I know it’s been widely commented upon, but this is the dream model for all emerging nations. Hard had work can pay off - that gap to the really big boys can be bridged.

France. Competitive, improving and with a discernible plan for how to play and who to pick. Everything crossed they go toe to toe with Samoa. And that we get to see England - France tests every year going forward. Take out our NRLers and play it in France and that’s a great contest.

PNG. They’re touching distance from the Big 5.

A potential 8 team comp… I know it’s a pipe dream, but, as PNG and France emerge, there is a fantastic 8 team tournament waiting to happen. Who couldn’t sell a tournament comprising Oz, NZ, Tonga, Samoa, PNG, France, England and NH/SH next best depending where it’s held.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Wales. I know it’s been widely commented upon, but this is the dream model for all emerging nations. Hard had work can pay off - that gap to the really big boys can be bridged.

Wales's last opponents in reverse sequence:

Tonga, Cook Islands, Lebanon, France, Ireland, Scotland, France, Ireland, Fiji, PNG, Italy, Jamaica, Serbia

I'm putting this up as a balance to "teams need to play England and lose by 100 to get better".

• Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Having all the games on BBC is a real positive. One of the lads who's coming with us on Saturday to England Greece (who has never been to a League game before) watched the Wales game last night and said he found it really entertaining (esp. in first half). I think once we get to the knock outs the TV audiences should grow as well as attendances (hopefully).

• Like 3

The amount of support for Greece, Fiji, Tonga & Lebanon - in terms of numbers of supporters, flags/ colour, noise and appreciation of their team. There's a great show reel right there.

The off-field behavior of players (so far) - no drug test fails, arrests, punch-ups in nightclubs, damage hotel rooms etc; lots of positive stories of school visits and so forth.

The positive UK media coverage (so far) - no hatchet jobs in the press, as far as I know.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JonM said:

The amount of support for Greece, Fiji, Tonga & Lebanon - in terms of numbers of supporters, flags/ colour, noise and appreciation of their team. There's a great show reel right there.

My memory may be failing me, but I don't recall that level of support for non UK teams in previous WCs (and actually the level of support for Wales seemed greater than I remember from the past). Am I remembering this right though?

13 minutes ago, EssexRL said:

My memory may be failing me, but I don't recall that level of support for non UK teams in previous WCs (and actually the level of support for Wales seemed greater than I remember from the past). Am I remembering this right though?

I think you're right. Perhaps one more advantage of scheduling things a year ahead rather than weeks ahead?

Maybe there has been some effort to ensure that various immigrant communities know what's happening too?

Thanks to the RLWC, I now know a bit about the tall building planning regulations that are in force in the Cook Islands.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Thanks to the RLWC, I now know a bit about the tall building planning regulations that are in force in the Cook Islands.

We all hope you now take advantage of your newly found knowledge and move over there at the earliest opportunity! 😉