1. 1. Who will win?

• New Zealand by 13 points or more
    • New Zealand by 7 to 12 points
    • New Zealand by 1 to 6 points
    • Lebanon by 1 to 6 points
    • Lebanon by 7 to 12 points
    • Lebanon by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/10/22 at 19:00

someone drag Robbie Paul out of the commentary box please -"you see that a lot in rugby union dontcha?"  I have no idea Robbie I  dont watch rugby union 

• Haha 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

11 minutes ago, Wendigo7 said:

I don't want to overstep the mark. Southerner and all that...
Going to my town Poole/Bournemouth, play at the Vitality. Exeter.. Plymouth...
I get rewarding those who love the game etc, but, it's not going to grow the game in any way whatsoever. Going down south should have been the goal, or at least to new locations etc. Pricing is subjective, people will or won't pay but I will this as I've said elsewhere..
The game here is crying out, for someone from the NRL/Prem League/NFL/NBA... in a marketing capacity to oversell it, get the crowd involved, make it an event etc, something that's catchy, gives it a hook for people/kids/adults to latch onto and want to stay with.

Okay, I'll say it again. For this World Cup, government money (for both the tournament and the community game) was predicated on it being situated in the North of England.

And, given that we are coming out of financial crises that were not a factor when England got to host this tournament (COVID, the cost of living apocalypse, the fallout from Putin's willy-waving), cutting down the travel costs of the majority of fans also turned out to be a practical call.

Times were tough then, and they are worse now. Even the new King is looking at a cut-price coronation.

So yes, we can (if we absolutely must) whine about how not everything's ideal and optimal, but facts must be faced. Doing it this way brought about £25 million into the grass-roots of the game, as well as helping fund the tournament itself. 

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 6

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 minutes ago, shrewsbury roughyed said:

Not sure that provoking Solomona is a healthy move-however dirty he is

I dunno - remember when Rob Burrow started swinging haymakers at Effie Lauaki? It can be a discombobulating experience, as well as a very funny spectacle.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

That's a pretty fair effort from Lebanon.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Just now, DavidM said:

Who would you pick if you could pick one of Brandon Smith or Harry Grant ? 
( And you’re not Bellyache )

That's a really tough choice. Bellyache doesn't have to make that choice and he still looks miserable all the time.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, DavidM said:

Who would you pick if you could pick one of Brandon Smith or Harry Grant ? 
( And you’re not Bellyache )

I would take Harry Grant.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

New Zealand 18:6 Lebanon at HT. Gutsy from the Cedars.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Okay, I'll say it again. For this World Cup, government money (for both the tournament and the community game) was predicated on it being situated in the North of England.

And, given that we are coming out of financial crises that were not a factor when England got to host this tournament (COVID, the cost of living apocalypse, the fallout from Putin's willy-waving), cutting down the travel costs of the majority of fans also turned out to be a practical call.

Times were tough then, and they are worse now. Even the new King is looking at a cut-price coronation.

So yes, we can (if we absolutely must) ##### about how not everything's ideal and optimal, but facts must be faced. Doing it this way brought about £25 million into the grass-roots of the game, as well as facilitating the tournament itself. 

Great post. Circumstances have changed in recent months. At the start of this year I was going to at least 5 games in this tournament. I am now attending none simply because I can no longer afford it. 

I first saw Adam Douehi in action in the last World Cup when he was really young and he looked so promising then. I hope he either gets a transfer or that Wests buck their ideas up soon, because he has the talent to do much better than the last couple of dismal seasons. 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

How many games had to be in the heartlands?

I don't know the exact number, but it can probably be found out with a bit of Googling.

• Confused 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Futtocks said:

I don't know the exact number, but it can probably be found out with a bit of Googling.

From memory, 75-80% of matches had to be within the Northern Powerhouse region.

The Northern Powerhouse region includes pretty much all of the north of England from Cheshire and Derbyshire up to the Scottish border - as well as the regions of Wales that straddle the A55 corridor.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

From memory, 75-80% of matches had to be within the Northern Powerhouse region.

The Northern Powerhouse region includes pretty much all of the north of England from Cheshire and Derbyshire up to the Scottish border - as well as the regions of Wales that straddle the A55 corridor.

Thank you for taking over the spoon-feeding duties, GJ.

• Haha 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson