RLWC Attendance-O-Meter

5 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Definitely, throw the lot at France if you ask me, that`s where there is already a `rugby ` culture and plenty of room for a more attractive alternative. Greater prospect of immediate returns to your own League as well.

Only if it's £5 a game and also has concessions.

35 minutes ago, Dave T said:

With over 8k at £25 though I'm remaining hopeful of a 5 figure crowd. 

But I expect to be disappointed again. 

I can’t see them filling both ends. And that’s what would need to happen to get over 10k. We live in hope. 

34 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The only place I've seen reduced prices was at St James the other day. 

I paid £30 for brilliant seats that were originally £70.

Gallowgate end? 

Didn’t the Doncaster game last night change it’s price structure? 

41 minutes ago, Dave T said:

With over 8k at £25 though I'm remaining hopeful of a 5 figure crowd. 

But I expect to be disappointed again. 

If tonight's game isn't a 5 figure crowd then we aren't going to get too many in the group stages bar the England games and maybe some of the Australia and NZ ones. Tonight is a standout for me and has all the ingredients that should make fans want to go. Its a bit of a test to be honest.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Leonard said:

There does seem to be a special breed of London fan that will refuse to watch a London team and also internationals. 

Completely different issues

Over the last 20 years I've spent close to 15K on London Broncos, 3 season tickets each season (apart from last 2 but thats more a protest on the current ownership at the moment), replica tops pretty much every season, programs when they actually printed them, I have the 2009 quins mug still etc.

I'd happily watch internationals if I did not have a 8 hour rund trip (4 hours up and 4 hours back) to get to each game. Even Coventry would be 2 hours to get there.  I'd have gone to Coventry if it was a different game, but I have no wish to watch Aus put 90 points on scotland. I'd have gone if it was Scotland v Fiji or Scotland v Italy though. Would also have gone if it had been France v Greece

Edited by crashmon
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Because we need to be making money for the whole game by playing Tests against bigger nations in full venues.

But we won't grow the international game if we only play Australia and NZ. Hate to use union as an example, but they're regularly playing Japan and Argentina now, when before it was just South Africa, Aus and NZ. The games were very one sided to begin with, but they kept at it. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

I was interested in going to The Riverside to watch the World Cup match - until I looked into the ticket prices. Top rate is £70. Best is £25 albeit behind the posts (i.e. terrible view). For what is essentially a sport alien to Middlesbrough, the ticket prices for The Riverside are insane. They'll be lucky to get a couple of thousand attendees.

I'm going from Guisborough with my wife (complete RL noob, lol). I bought £25 tickets on the reasonable assumption that there will be plenty of space for us to move to a better area.

Looking forward to it - even though I don't expect much by way of a "crowd"

6 minutes ago, londonrlfan said:

But we won't grow the international game if we only play Australia and NZ. Hate to use union as an example, but they're regularly playing Japan and Argentina now, when before it was just South Africa, Aus and NZ. The games were very one sided to begin with, but they kept at it. 

Not just regularly but frequently.  But then, their club games are merely something for players to do, training games almost, between internationals. 

4 minutes ago, londonrlfan said:

England's upcoming match against Japan will their third match against them in history.

Like I say, we don't need to look at union just cos they play with an oval ball.

• Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, JohnM said:

exactly. Ticket prices not the issue.

On this specific game no. But they are in the discussion around the whole tournament, and may very well have impacted people considering travelling from WF postcodes that are half an hour away.

Looking at PNG vs Cook Islands in Warrington.

I would probably have to get a train home before HT given the rubbish service.

So that makes it a choice of not going or staying over on a work day.

Just now, gingerjon said:

England's upcoming match against Japan will their third match against them in history.

Like I say, we don't need to look at union just cos they play with an oval ball.

But because it already has more nations at a level relatively similar to England, it doesn't have to be "just England". When in RL we talk about the likes of England playing X, we're talking about 3 countries, in RU they have 8, and have built a fair few more to challenge too.

2 minutes ago, JohnM said:

exactly. Ticket prices not the issue.

Not last night, no.

We've failed very badly to market and sell the games. Prices are a factor but so too is the failure to excite existing and potential RL fans. Over and again, I'm reading that we never expected [international RL team that we rarely see in the flesh] vs [same] at [perfectly accessible venue] to get a crowd anyway. What a failure.

• Like 2