RLWC Attendance-O-Meter

51 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Never done it, never seen anyone do it in Oz in my whole life. In fact the only people I have ever seen do it has been foreign politicians having done it in their younger days being reported on the news.

Then why on earth did you bring it up... seems very odd... I've never done it, I will be at the world cup final supporting Samoa (as England aren't there) and the thought didn't even cross my mind about "black face" let alone going through my brain, through my fingers and onto a keyboard (therefore passing by lots of points to say, I am not want to say this out loud!)

ย 

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, RP London said:

Don't disagree, I don't mind a bit of spin when its pretty "harmless" (as in not really hurting anyone) and I think that's the case here. I also don't think its necessarily a bad thing to portray this as a success to the "outside world".. its better than saying "this world cup has been a disaster".ย 

As long as internally this isn't what they are thinking..ย 

agreed, this is just PR, there would be nothing to gain from them publicly coming out with doom and gloom messages. Theyโ€™ve mad a load of comms mistakes I donโ€™t think this is one of them.

I'm still really lost.ย 

Saturday felt weird. I was in the pub closest to the stadium and said to my mate that this just doesn't feel right. It was lovely to meet some people from down South and the St Albans shirt is lovely, but it was odd. I have no idea why, but it was odd.ย ย 

Walking into the stadium was very deflating, my seats had a very decent view, but it was too empty. I've not been to many RL games in the UK other than Fev finals and with Fev, we would have 00s singing in the concourse and despite a few thousand at one end of a massive stand, being sat next to people actually helps build a feeling for the game. Sitting on an empty row around me, in front and behind made it feel anything but a Semi-Final.

Quick thought, i bought a World Cup beanie thing last Monday for the game in case it wa nippy. It's just arrived today, 9 days later. This sums up my feelings for the sport right now; what's the point!ย 

I've got tickets for Old Trafford and the wheelchair before is genuinely an event i'm looking forward to. The women's final as well. Then you see the news that the women are playing a double header at Warrington and i think, what's the point!

On the train back to airport Sunday, thousands of fans all going to Tottenham for a pointless Barbarian game against a 2nd team All Blacks. Not jealous at all.ย 

I'll go to Fev finals out of a fear of missing out if we win rather than a true love of the sport at the moment and i'll probably go France in 3 years. That's it.ย 

I am so disappointed in Saturday, not the game fully, but just how ###### everything was and looks for the future. In a few years, my son (if he likes sport) will dictate where we spend time and money, i don't think he'll be choosing RL and i certainly won't be pushing it based on this World Cup's experience. Overseas trips will likely be the Lions or cricket tours.

Christ, what a terrible mess of a post but i'm still milling over how apathetic i am.

ย 

ย 

ย 

• Like 5

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

Where does 65k take us to overall for the tournament vs. itโ€™s original targets?ย 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

1 hour ago, Leonard said:

I personally would take more money in the game - assuming it is a decent increase - over crowds. Which I think I have said before.

The international game is broke and if this funds some use when the next WC probably won't be here for 11 years, then that is good with me. The main thing holding back the game, imho, is money.

Of course you can then flex the no. of tickets sold v price to maximise revenue model all day and that is a fair argument.

I think if the plan was similar crowds but more money, we'd all agree. That is undoubtedly a positive result.ย 

I'd have gone with an aim of higher crowds at more modest income per customer, which could have delivered similar or better financial than now.ย 

But the problem is that they aimed for both. Huge crowd uplift at premium prices. Without doing any of the heavy lifting over the last decade to set us up.ย 

I don't think anyone was advocating 2013 prices, but, even if we did go with that, huge increases in crowds would have obviously translated into huge financial benefits even at those levels.ย 

In every scenario, the outcome is more money, which is a good thing, the issue here really is missing plan, and whether that plan was a good one in the first place.ย 

20 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Where does 65k take us to overall for the tournament vs. itโ€™s original targets?ย 

Takes us to around 421,000.

About 37,000 under 2013, about 329,000 behind the 750,000 target, and 130,000 behind the football Euros.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.ย (Terry Pratchett)

Once the decision had been to make this a "heartlands" World Cup every effort should have been made to engage with the traditional fan base. This is an audience that knows the game and the prices they are willing to pay and somewhere between the prices of 2013 and 2022 would have been realistic. In thisย traditional fan base there are a lot of people whose interest in the game has lapsed but with the right kind of effort I would have thought they would have been an easier "sell" than those who barely know about the game.

If this had been more successful in the opening games "the event crowd" would more likely have become involved.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crashmon said:

Amazingly for the England v France game in April I can select my seats ๐Ÿ™„

So it can be done, so why could they not do it for the WC games

I have already booked mine. I know the result, but the WC has given me a real buzz.

I don't understand how 65K+ without the home nation is seen as a disaster by some. There are only 3 other sports in the world who could dream of such figuresย 

In three years, it will be half of that (if we are lucky), what will be the comments then ?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I think if the plan was similar crowds but more money, we'd all agree. That is undoubtedly a positive result.ย 

I'd have gone with an aim of higher crowds at more modest income per customer, which could have delivered similar or better financial than now.ย 

But the problem is that they aimed for both. Huge crowd uplift at premium prices. Without doing any of the heavy lifting over the last decade to set us up.ย 

I don't think anyone was advocating 2013 prices, but, even if we did go with that, huge increases in crowds would have obviously translated into huge financial benefits even at those levels.ย 

In every scenario, the outcome is more money, which is a good thing, the issue here really is missing plan, and whether that plan was a good one in the first place.ย 

Agree with that.

My main beef, I am an easy going sort and never expected 750k (selling out every ground), is the borderline untruths. You can dress it up how you want, but there were comments made that at best look very odd with hindsight.

For example, we have already sold more tickets than 2013.

My guess is that they thought once it kicked off there would be a mad rush and that would cover comments. In reality, it seems that other than SJP, Bolton, DW and Tonga v Samoa there really was very little in the way of a sudden demand for tickets and once the tide went out....

ย 

Just now, Gambass said:

I don't understand how 65K+ without the home nation is seen as a disaster by some. There are only 3 other sports in the world who could dream of such figuresย 

In three years, it will be half of that (if we are lucky), what will be the comments then ?

I have to ask - is that avatar the Russian guy from Frank Bruno's boxing on the C64 from way back?

21 minutes ago, Gambass said:

2013 was 73k so going backwards

1 hour ago, MattSantos said:

ย Overseas trips will likely be the Lions or cricket tours.

ย 

Having been in SA in 2009 for the Lions and cricket tour back then (champions trophy in cricket was on at same time), I would say for all sports fans, being on a lions tour should be a bucket list event, I've never had an experience like it.

Hopefully in my lifetime, RL will have something which will provide a similar experience. I think the closest you could get would be the SOO right now.ย  I bet the ashes tours of the 80's and 90's might have had the same experience, but I was younger then, and not into RL at that time.

Edited by crashmon

5 minutes ago, crashmon said:

Having been in SA in 2009 for the Lions and cricket tour back then (champions trophy in cricket was on at same time), I would say for all sports fans, being on a lions tour should be a bucket list event, I've never had an experience like it.

Hopefully in my lifetime, RL will have something which will provide a similar experience. I think the closest you could get would be the SOO right now.ย  I bet the ashes tours of the 80's and 90's might have had the same experience, but I was younger then, and not into RL at that time.

Not a chance. RL can succeed, but we are so far behind those international events that i don't see it happening in the next 25 years.

As i don't live in an RL world, that's how i consume live sport now and RL is pretty much the bottom of a long list. I suspect my son will not care a jot about RL, why would he?ย 

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

3 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

So to sum up the consensus itโ€™s been an abject failure and the organisers are liars.ย 

Nope.

Successes have been limited but there have been some. Figures put out about tickets sold were shown not to be true once the actual games they referred to were played. No one has any real idea yet of the financial position the tournament has left international RL and the RFL in.

Many of the things people had concerns about well in advance of the tournament have been shown to be things they were right to be concerned about.

The women's tournament was more successful than many predicted and the wheelchair events sold out.

Overall, there has been no breakthrough on the men's side and crowds are lower now than in 2013.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.ย (Terry Pratchett)

22 minutes ago, crashmon said:

I couldn't lower myself personally.

And that is someone who's best man has tickets for both RU WC semis and the lions tour - and knew not to even ask if I was interested.

Now - an ashes tour for cricket and we are talking.

11 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

So to sum up the consensus itโ€™s been an abject failure and the organisers are liars.ย 

It's been an abject failure and posters are liars.

16 minutes ago, Damien said:

Which had some tickets from ยฃ5 and the rest were incredibly cheap compared to this year.

But SL crowds bounced massively off the back of it........