Leigh changing their name? Bored journo doing a rumour?

I've been trying to think who that African dictator was that always wore leopard skin. I think it was an African dictator anyway, seem to remember seeing a picture in a book. I know there was Mabuto Sese-Seko (might be spelt wrong) from Congo who always wore a leopard skin hat but can't think of the other guy. 

Do we think Leigh are gonna do some sort of pre-match war dance or song or something like the leopard clad Zulus do in the film of the same name? 

4 minutes ago, The Ghost of 99 said:

A marketing expert tweets.

sadler-leighleopards.jpg

All I will say about that is that he's the only person I've ever seen say that Halifax Blue Sox was great branding and he is a person who has defended that branding quite vigorously on here.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yes, I think abandoning club colours like this would be a big no/no. That's for awat shirts. And maybe that'll be the twist here. 

Not sure which word you've mis-spelt there... should it be a "y" at the end instead of a "t" or a "t" at the start instead of the "a"?

Either works... 

Edited by RP London
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, JohnM said:

What's wrong with Beaumont rebranding the club in the way he has?

Has the thread not loaded for you?

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

All I will say about that is that he's the only person I've ever seen say that Halifax Blue Sox was great branding and he is a person who has defended that branding quite vigorously on here.

Matey mate mateliness in the world of RL?

Say it ain't so.

• Haha 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 minutes ago, RP London said:

I got very annoyed when eagles went to a white shirt with a red v mainly based (I believe) on someone high enough up to have a say being a saints fan... we won't the 1895 cup in it but it didn't feel quite right.. 

Back to the red with gold and white and all is good in the world.. (I also hated the Pepsi style shirt of 1998, thank god we won the challenge Cup in a change shirt which we would have had to wear anyway!)

One of the many reasons I was unimpressed with the Broncos move to Wimbledon was that we just surrendered our home colours to look like AFC Wimbledon.

It matters.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JohnM said:

I'm as quick as anyone at having a laugh at the expense of Beaumont, Leigh and its perspiring  representatives on here. Easy targets. They give it and they take it. 

However, it's undeniable that Leigh are shaking things up and setting an example in grabbing the headlines. 

Is ambition bad? What's wrong with Beaumont rebranding the club in the way he has? Come next season, they are going to ruffle some feathers on the field as well as off. 

Dropping the traditional colours and replacing them with that godawful shirt is the issue for most.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, The Ghost of 99 said:

A marketing expert tweets.

sadler-leighleopards.jpg

Well, to be fair I was having some minor doubts about the Leigh Leopards, but now Martin has given it his seal of approval I'm all for it. He must have seen that slide that said "Why leopards? Degsy likes them". I certainly found that research very convincing.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 5

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

54 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

And if it is true, the kit looks like something Boycies wife 'Mar-Leeen' would have designed. 

This has all the makings of a really tacky gimmick that will disappear if they get relegated back to the Championship particularly if they go overboard on the leopard merchandise. I can just see it now Bet Lynch handbags & dresses on sale in the club shop, the team walking out to some cringey 80s tune from Def Leppard 😄

• Haha 1

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

1 minute ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Well, to be fair I was having some minor doubts about the Leigh Leopards, but now Martin has given it his seal of approval I'm all for it. He must have seen that slide that said "Why leopards? Degsy likes them". I certainly found that research very convincing.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

There was also the fact that Centurions was a typo anyway! 🤣

Compelling stuff. 

7 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I've been trying to think who that African dictator was that always wore leopard skin. I think it was an African dictator anyway, seem to remember seeing a picture in a book. I know there was Mabuto Sese-Seko (might be spelt wrong) from Congo who always wore a leopard skin hat but can't think of the other guy. 

Do we think Leigh are gonna do some sort of pre-match war dance or song or something like the leopard clad Zulus do in the film of the same name? 

Are you thinking of Eddie Murphy in coming to america 2

spacer.png

Or James Earl Jones in coming to America 1? 

spacer.png

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Oh no you mentioned Seals.... 

Salford are listening!!

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, RP London said:

Are you thinking of Eddie Murphy in coming to america 2

spacer.png

Or James Earl Jones in coming to America 1? 

spacer.png

I wasn't but either are a good likeness of Beaumont in that hoody. 

No, I think it was Haile Selassie. I believe he had some pet leopards but I can't find any pictures of him wearing leopards. But yeah, I'm going with Derek Beaumont trying to be Haile Selassie. 

• Like 1

Just now, Dave T said:

There was also the fact that Centurions was a typo anyway! 🤣

Compelling stuff. 

It's the attention to detail that makes all of this such a powerful rebrand. The "centurians", the use of a snow leopard on the logo instead of an actual leopard. The image of a jaguar on at least one of the slides. Oh, and what looks like a paedophile's mascot outfit. It's all there. 

• Haha 3

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

1 minute ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Contrarianism is useful sometimes, perhaps especially in a journalist.

But very often, all too often in this case, it leads the contrarian into being so desperate to go against the grain that they refuse to believe what is blindingly obvious.

They are left in the end calling a bowl of steaming hot **** "a tasty, well-presented and well-garnished dish".

3 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

It's the attention to detail that makes all of this such a powerful rebrand. The "centurians", the use of a snow leopard on the logo instead of an actual leopard. The image of a jaguar on at least one of the slides. Oh, and what looks like a paedophile's mascot outfit. It's all there. 

No need to be racist, why isn't a snow leopard an actual leopard?