Leigh changing their name? Bored journo doing a rumour?

13 hours ago, Davo5 said:

I think the difference is that those NA sporting organisations adopted those names & logos at their inception or shortly afterwards & they are now embedded in their history whereas it’s a relatively new addition over here, Boston Red Sox is a huge brand, Halifax Blue Sox wasn’t quite as successful.😂

North American sporting organisations, however, can also move to an entirely different city and change nicknames.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2017/01/27/list-of-major-sports-leagues-franchise-relocations/97125258/ 

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

21 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Rhinos is interesting because, objectively, it's a terrible name (and was unpopular when chosen) and a lousy logo but Leeds absolutely embraced everything about it and worked hard to get it accepted to the point where it is inconceivable they could be anything else.

There is no way, none at all, that Degsy will put in the hard yards that Leeds put in to make his leopards name work.

Leeds also kept the traditional playing colours and made sure the history of the club wasn’t lost.

As you say objectively Rhinos is a terrible name but they did an unbelievable job in making it work.

What they didn’t do is stick a massive picture of Gary hetheringtons favorite animal on the home shirt.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Mapleyther said:

Yeah, his criticism is a bit odd given the proliferation of similar names in Leeds, Cas, Wakefield, just to name a few.  Still Leopards is a terrible name.  Where I currently live is a steel town and they've named their football team Hamilton Forge - it's great because it honours the town's heritage and it tells part of their story.  That's what was needed here, not some generic 'clever' alliteration, but something tribal that local fans can feel a connection to and everyone else respect as part of a genuine identity.  Few other SL clubs have really managed to achieve this, to be fair.

Vossy completly showed his ignorance, he eliminated many brands that have no connection of the towns to their clubs so why pick on Leigh, Wouldn't mind if he could even pronounce what he was trying to say, stupid shackle dragger.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

I proudly have a replica shirt that I take on holiday as other clubs Fan's do it us a kind of introduction and gets some good conversation going.

Would I take this new one with me, would I heck, people would think I have just escaped from Ru Paul's Drag Race.

Haha.. fat chance! Even they wouldn't wear it!!

3 minutes ago, Mapleyther said:

I tell you what, last year's kit will be selling for 500 quid a go!

Maybe Ellis Sports will see an opportunity & release a Leigh retro shirt,often when teams release an awful shirt you can fall back on some decent training gear but in Leigh’s case even that is awful..

• Like 1

The more I think about this the more I think it must be an absolute genius bit of marketing for the club and tomorrow they’ll come out and say it’s all a windup. If so, bravo. If not … well!! 😂

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

I need to throw my cat into the ring here, i mean.... hat.

This is actually worse than the Mexico 94 world cup goalie top. It's so bad it would make an onion cry. Imagine how the players reacted when they were presented with this. I hate our badge (Wigan) but compared to this, it's small fry. It's beyond belief that somebody could be so stupid. Even Del Boy would refuse to wear it. 

May as well ask this here: a couple of years on, anyone know if Halifax Panthers is sticking as a name?

People using it? Seem like Halifax are always going to be the Panthers now?

I remember being quite cynical about it at the time.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)