Leigh changing their name? Bored journo doing a rumour?

Ambivalent to the rebrand , the Centurions was always difficult , if worked at this could be better ( as with most things , they require working at ) , the badge would have been better if just the eyes as I've seen on other literature , that looks smart and simpler , not happy with a colour change , no real reason we couldn't work within our traditional colours 

We've got 4 months to get used to it till they run out on the pitch , if we start winning most if not all will soon forget about it ( maybe not those with tattoo's 🤔 ) , start losing and it'll just be another thing to complain about 

Never quiet at Leigh 😂

I've been away from the world of rugby league for a few hours and just before getting into bed have picked my phone up. Now, I don't know if I'm seeing this correctly or if there was something in that dodgy curry I had earlier but is everyone else seeing Leigh rebranded as the Leopards and them advertising a load of gear for transvestites or is it just me? 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Waynebennettswinger said:

In fairness, I have never seen a Rhino in Leeds but that was a bloody brilliant rebrand in my opinion.

Rhinos is interesting because, objectively, it's a terrible name (and was unpopular when chosen) and a lousy logo but Leeds absolutely embraced everything about it and worked hard to get it accepted to the point where it is inconceivable they could be anything else.

There is no way, none at all, that Degsy will put in the hard yards that Leeds put in to make his leopards name work.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, gingerjon said:

Rhinos is interesting because, objectively, it's a terrible name (and was unpopular when chosen) and a lousy logo but Leeds absolutely embraced everything about it and worked hard to get it accepted to the point where it is inconceivable they could be anything else.

There is no way, none at all, that Degsy will put in the hard yards that Leeds put in to make his leopards name work.

Fair comment, my response due to Vossy’s opinions around Leopards being in no way connected to the town of Leigh, you’re right though Rhinos has worked because Leeds made it work. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

It helps if you're winning 

• Like 1

Well, I've lurked on this board for years but as a Leigh fan I decided to join today to thank everyone for the brilliant humour on this thread which has made me crack a smile.  Frankly, there's not much else to smile about today - at this moment I couldn't care less about the new signings; that's for analysis another day.   What bothers me right now is what Derek has done to the club and the way he has done it.  It's an omnishambles of Trussian proportions - in Derek we Truss is about right.

There is such a missed opportunity here, which makes the debacle all the more frustrating.  Some form of rebrand makes sense - the Centurions brand never quite resonated for many, and I don't think many will really miss it that much.  All the iterations of the logo have been pretty amateur, although I am learning the true depth of the word today.  Still, where was the fan engagement to bring as many people along instead of alienating what seems to be the vast majority of the current fanbase? The bombshell was dropped on us with no warning and it really feels like Derek has stuck two fingers up to the fans and saying 'It's my club and I can do whatever I want with it.  I like leopards, so we're going to be Leigh Leopards.' (I can hardly believe I am typing this!).

The problem with the whole thing, apart from the fact that the designs have been done by a schoolkid, is that it severs the club from its history.  It's completely unnuanced with no nod whatsoever to the heritage - an evolution, not a revolution, if you will.  That could have been achieved by a clever new name and/or logo, or by the choice of kit. The logo is amateur, insipid and won't be impactful across the various media it will need to be used in.  Microsoft Paint, ClipArt etc. etc. - every bit of criticsm is valid.

And the shirt?  It's a clear rip-off of the Wolfpack from 2016, which seemed innovative at the time but isn't any longer (and their logo was genius).  It looks cheap, tacky and guaranteed to make the average fan wearing it look absolutely ridiculous.  At least it might only exist for a season before we get something better.  But the loss of the club's colours is a bitter and unnecessary blow - I get the desire to differentiate from Wigan, just down the road.  But I am not even sure what our colours are now - white and black, and yellow? 

The thing is, what new fans are going to be attracted by this crackpot concoction?  And what on earth will our new consulting friends be making of it? Surely they won't have endorsed it? If they have, then the future of the sport is in real jeopardy (or should that be leopardy?!).

We're now going to be in the situation of a large number of Leigh fans refusing to embrace the rebrand, so we will effectively have 2 brands going for the next few years.  I just hope someone can help Derek to see sense, rather than double-down on this vanity project.  But, like a certain bloke in charge in Russia, I am not sure what his exit ramp could possibly be. 

• Like 23

1 minute ago, Waynebennettswinger said:

Fair comment, my response due to Vossy’s opinions around Leopards being in no way connected to the town of Leigh, you’re right though Rhinos has worked because Leeds made it work. 

What is his opinion on Penrith ? , Or West's ? 

• Like 2

I've got back out of bed and had a quick look out of the window. Now it might be bloody cold tonight but I can confirm that hell-I mean Hull, has not frozen over. No, all that's out there is my drunken neighbour loudly woofing at my other neighbour's house because they have an annoying little yappy dog. 

15 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I've been away from the world of rugby league for a few hours and just before getting into bed have picked my phone up. Now, I don't know if I'm seeing this correctly or if there was something in that dodgy curry I had earlier but is everyone else seeing Leigh rebranded as the Leopards and them advertising a load of gear for transvestites or is it just me? 

Go back to sleep. You’re just hallucinating

• Haha 1

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

17 minutes ago, Waynebennettswinger said:

In fairness, I have never seen a Rhino in Leeds but that was a bloody brilliant rebrand in my opinion.

Are there a bunch of dead bodies turning up in mysterious circumstances and a lock up garage somewhere piled high with excrement? Because if there is then there's a good chance there's a rhino loose in the city. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

What is his opinion on Penrith ? , Or West's ? 

Yeah, his criticism is a bit odd given the proliferation of similar names in Leeds, Cas, Wakefield, just to name a few.  Still Leopards is a terrible name.  Where I currently live is a steel town and they've named their football team Hamilton Forge - it's great because it honours the town's heritage and it tells part of their story.  That's what was needed here, not some generic 'clever' alliteration, but something tribal that local fans can feel a connection to and everyone else respect as part of a genuine identity.  Few other SL clubs have really managed to achieve this, to be fair.