Rework of IRL/RLWC

21 minutes ago, londonrlfan said:

Exactly. We're told sides have to rely on heritage players because of blowouts, but we're still getting blowouts. Would Scotland have been any worse off if David Scott played tonight?

Exactly, Thank you. If Scotland selected the entire Edinburgh Eagles squad Tonight but got battered 110-0 I would be immensely proud. When PNG Used to get Destroyed by aus, nz and GB they would play with there heart on the sleeve. Most of the Scotland team couldn’t care less about Scotland, but the opportunity to play in a World Cup was the only motive for most of them boys.

1 minute ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Exactly, Thank you. If Scotland selected the entire Edinburgh Eagles squad Tonight but got battered 110-0 I would be immensely proud. When PNG Used to get Destroyed by aus, nz and GB they would play with there heart on the sleeve. Most of the Scotland team couldn’t care less about Scotland, but the opportunity to play in a World Cup was the only motive for most of them boys.

You are being very disrespectful. I'm not a fan of heritage players but you are out of order criticising the Scotland players as you are. Yes they lost but there wasn't a lack of effort, they were simply outmatched in every department and are a team of part time players and players way off this level. There is no shame in getting battered by the best RL nation on the planet. Geez Fiji conceeded half as much and they are a team of NRL stars.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Damien said:

You are being very disrespectful. I'm not a fan of heritage players but you are out of order criticising the Scotland players as you are. Yes they lost but there wasn't a lack of effort, they were simply outmatched in every department and are a team of part time players and players way off this level. There is no shame in getting battered by the best RL nation on the planet. Geez Fiji conceeded half as much and they are a team of NRL stars.

I would have 0 Problem if this team consisted Scottish players. However it didn’t, these English and Aussie lads have been given an opportunity to play in a World Cup and they suffered the second worse loss ever, Not to mention a terrible performance last week against Italy (A team they should be beating on Notoriety). This game is the definition of a lack of effort, 45 Missed Tackles, Only 673 Metres compared to Australia’s 2310.

I get your trying to be sympathetic but there was no effort there what so ever. If you want to see effort in a losing side take a look at PNG and Wales.

• Like 1

Who didn’t expect this? This will likely be the worst this World Cup only maybe England Vs Greece or NZ Vs Jamaica a chance of getting close. No need for knee jerk reactions, 16 is fine. Focus on building the 10-16 teams to a better standard instead of dropping back in numbers.

If you get rid of the heritage players for Scotland, Ireland, Tonga etc. it won’t magically mean the game will improve in those countries, let’s not cut off our nose to spite our face. 

• Like 5

I'm for EXPANDING the WC. 

Let's add four of Serbia, USA, South Africa, Germany, Algeria etc.

Blowouts happen in competitions with salary caps FFS. Pull your head in.

Other sports have much worse blowouts but unlike other sports the problem is the fans. 

• Like 2

new rise.jpg

5 hours ago, Gomersall said:

Twelve teams, four groups, winners of group straight to semi finals.

Problem with that simple format is there being little doubt of eng, aus, nz and tonga being almost nailed on certs for the semis. Makes the whole group games pointless. And eradicates any possibility of creating success stories, even if that is for a lower ranked team making it to the quarter finals.

Edited by Jack Russell
  • Like 1

To avoid the big scorelines what about introducing a set up like the 20/20 World Cup? It is essentially played in two phases. First phase finds the strongest of the minor nations who then join the top 8-10 nations.

Also with the 6 again rule this rule has made the game way too fast and increased chances of blow outs. This was seen in the NRL. It destroyed the season last year. Another dumb V'landys introduction.

Edited by rlno1
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Pulga said:

I'm for EXPANDING the WC. 

Let's add four of Serbia, USA, South Africa, Germany, Algeria etc.

Blowouts happen in competitions with salary caps FFS. Pull your head in.

Other sports have much worse blowouts but unlike other sports the problem is the fans. 

I agree. THis game was always going to be a blowout. Scotland did well to keep it under 100. NZ and Jamaica will be a blow out also as will England and Greece. Overall most games have had respectable scorelines. A couple of blow outs isn't the end of the world.

People want development but when the IRL try to maximise revenue from the WC with ticket prices etc people complain. We cant win.

Edited by rlno1
  • Like 1

It wont happen as the IRL will get more money from broadcasting revenue from having more games and knowing how light they are for money World Cups are their major cash cow. I doubt Greece get recognition from the government if they don't make the World Cup. There will youngsters in Jamaica who will inspired seeing their nation on the world stage. More likely for increase in teams then a decrease . The Union world cup has  had plenty of blowouts. Lebanon were competitive against  NZ , PNG almost beat Tonga.  More teams in it more exposure they will have and hopefully start more domestic players playing in the future.

• Like 1

The All Blacks batter fully pro international sides all of the time. Their excellence is celebrated, their skills appreciated. 

This isn’t WWE, we don’t get to map everything out into comeback stories, nail-biting victories or underdog surprises. We get to enjoy and celebrate elite athletes, and occasional blow-outs are a small price to pay to enable smaller countries to aspire to play in a tournament with the best players in the world. Let’s keep some perspective, and have enough confidence in ourselves and our sport to allow things like last nights game to happen. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

Greece were losing 26-0 when they scores their first-ever WC try and a packed bar in Athens erupted in celebrations. 

Try telling them that a bored neutral Englishman switched their game off at halftime because he found it boring. It will not make that try any less special to them. 

This (new markets) should be the ones we are trying to impact with a World Cup, and not so much the indifferent observers.

16 teams is perfect and should be here to stay. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Young Blood said:

Not at all. More nations more exposure more opportunities. 

Adding 4 more nations too the World Cup would Excel blow out scores to an unimaginable rate. The games simply wouldn’t be entertaining, I get you want more nations exposed but we simply can’t handle that many nations, we can’t even handle 16 and your talking about adding 4 more.

1 hour ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Adding 4 more nations too the World Cup would Excel blow out scores to an unimaginable rate. The games simply wouldn’t be entertaining, I get you want more nations exposed but we simply can’t handle that many nations, we can’t even handle 16 and your talking about adding 4 more.

I'm not sure you have much of a grasp of rugby league outside of the top 10 or so.

• Haha 1

new rise.jpg

3 hours ago, Young Blood said:

I want to see 20 teams - 6 Oceania, 6 Europe, 3 Americas, 3 MEA, 2 Asia

Wouldn't mind seeing one South America, one North and then a repêcage for the 3rd spot.

new rise.jpg

8 hours ago, SydneyRoosters said:

but there was no effort there what so ever

I mean, we had 35 pages discussing a leopard's anus featuring on a rugby shirt and this is still the most embarrassing post on here in the last 24 hours.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, Pulga said:

I'm not sure you have much of a grasp of rugby league outside of the top 10 or so.

Are you joking, I know for a fact that I have much more Knowledge than most of the people on this forum. I know all the ins and outs of all 34 Nations in rugby league. I’ve watched all of the players from the lowers nations play domestically in lower grades and internationally,  and I have been following all the those nations 5+ years, even a lot longer for some. I’ve watched Jamaican domestic games this season, USA, Serbian Games, Dutch Domestic Games and just about all the available rugby league to watch. I know for a fact I have much for a grasp than you about International rugby league mate.

Phoinex Venom never even existed so don’t know why you’ve got as your profile picture.

Edited by SydneyRoosters
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I mean, we had 35 pages discussing a leopard's anus featuring on a rugby shirt and this is still the most embarrassing post on here in the last 24 hours.

Mate, The lads were falling of tackles left, right and centre, I know your but hurt but if you know anything about rugby league you’d no they was no effort shown there after the first 25 Minutes. It’s just a fact stop getting defensive, You don’t gain only 600 Metres and fall off almost 50 Tackes if your putting in effort buddy.

1 minute ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Mate, The lads were falling of tackles left, right and centre, I know your but hurt but if you know anything about rugby league you’d no they was no effort shown there after the first 25 Minutes. It’s just a fact stop getting defensive, You don’t gain only 600 Metres and fall off almost 50 Tackes if your putting in effort buddy.

They didn't play well.

That's because they're not very good when compared to the Kangaroos.

If you knew anything about rugby league then that would be a pretty fundamental point to understand.

Buddy.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, gingerjon said:

They didn't play well.

That's because they're not very good when compared to the Kangaroos.

If you knew anything about rugby league then that would be a pretty fundamental point to understand.

Buddy.

There’s a difference between being out skilled and out worked.

Wales put in everything against a team full of NRL players, they were just outskilled at the death, Too much first grade talent for the Welsh To handle.

Then there’s Scotland’s performance, don’t get me wrong Skill was a massive factor but most of the tries Australia were scored through sheer lack of effort from the Scottish, for example the Cleary Try, Alex Walker didn’t even feel like tackling him. Another was Kieran Buchanan simply not tackling Jack Wighton in what was a easy tackle and about 10 other Aussie tries. There was no signs of effort and they simply wanted to go home after the first 20 minutes.

You don’t miss 50 Tackles if your only being Out-skilled.

5 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

There’s a difference between being out skilled and out worked.

Wales put in everything against a team full of NRL players, they were just outskilled at the death, Too much first grade talent for the Welsh To handle.

Then there’s Scotland’s performance, don’t get me wrong Skill was a massive factor but most of the tries Australia were scored through sheer lack of effort from the Scottish, for example the Cleary Try, Alex Walker didn’t even feel like tackling him. Another was Kieran Buchanan simply not tackling Jack Wighton in what was a easy tackle and about 10 other Aussie tries. There was no signs of effort and they simply wanted to go home after the first 20 minutes.

You don’t miss 50 Tackles if your only being Out-skilled.

You do miss 50 tackles if your mostly part timers playing against the best Rugby League squad in the world over 80 mins.

• Like 1