SL Club Rebranding

1 minute ago, Chrispmartha said:

Did you read the rationale?

‘Degsy likes leopards’

Did you? That was the part that frustrates me, everybody is hanging their hat on that comment “Derek likes Leopards” when In  actual fact there was loads of other stuff in there that I was more impressed with.

Now I’m not dereks biggest fan I think he does stupid stuff but my club is now light years from the shambles it used to be, we have a great ground, attract good players, the crowd is massively up on where it was for the last 20 years, we have a PDRL team, a scholarship, is full time, have a decent reputation over in Australia and have ambition. 

If he thinks this is the right decision and what IMG want from a Cat A club then I’ll let him get on with it even if I wish someone had told him not to put that one line in the presentation.

7 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

If he came out and said that straight away in the press conference last week rather than backtracking after the whole thing nosedived, folk would be plenty more understanding.

York managed their rebrand to the same deadline and haven't had any of these issues. That's the whole point of the criticism.

York aren’t in SL

1 minute ago, binosh said:

Did you? That was the part that frustrates me, everybody is hanging their hat on that comment “Derek likes Leopards” when In  actual fact there was loads of other stuff in there that I was more impressed with.

Now I’m not dereks biggest fan I think he does stupid stuff but my club is now light years from the shambles it used to be, we have a great ground, attract good players, the crowd is massively up on where it was for the last 20 years, we have a PDRL team, a scholarship, is full time, have a decent reputation over in Australia and have ambition. 

If he thinks this is the right decision and what IMG want from a Cat A club then I’ll let him get on with it even if I wish someone had told him not to put that one line in the presentation.

There was loads of great stuff in the presentation, at least you seem to now admitting that the shambolic rebrand has taken away from that.

Thats the point we are making

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

This is the thing though - if it was executed with a bit more care and attention, it would be a lot easier to attract those potential new fans, and more of them too.

I don't hate Leigh, I don't hate any club. I want every club to be the best version of itself that it can be. The game would be much better for it.

This is pretty much it.

The problem isn't the rebrand as such (I'm not particularly keen on the Leopards name but it is what it is). The problem is the unprofessional and chaotic execution of it. 

People might think it's an irrelevance or it might not bother them personally but this is professional sport and these things really do matter.

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, Damien said:

If its not important then why are Leigh doing it?

I said ' that ' important , it is a business decision primarily aimed at younger fans and potential fans , do you really think the 5/6/7 year olds of Leigh will refuse to go because of a dodgy ' font ' ? 

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

I said ' that ' important , it is a business decision primarily aimed at younger fans and potential fans , do you really think the 5/6/7 year olds of Leigh will refuse to go because of a dodgy ' font ' ? 

Most 5/6/7 year olds could have done a much better job with the font 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Classic whataboutery right there.

so because the country is in a mess we shouldn’t comment on a RL rebrand in a RL forum?

Send a letter to the Telegraph , it'll make you feel much better 

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

A very diplomatic gesture to backtrack, anyone who will never admit to a mistake is either a liar or stupid, have you always been correct in everything you have said or done Chris?

Of course not, but if you backtrack you should try make the thing actually better than the first effort.

Has there been any official communication that the logo is to actually change? Or the shirt?

8 minutes ago, binosh said:

At first it was a shock but in all honesty now he’s explained it needed to be in on a deadline and the final design is subject to change I can live with it. It’s actually growing on me and I 100% understand the rationale behind it.

Firstly, there is nothing inherently wrong with Leigh Leopards. It could absolutely work. I don't think anyone (save some old fogies) would argue with that.

Secondly, the rationale is "above all the owners well known love of the leopard". It doesn't matter who you are its rubbish.

Thirdly, this was not initially done as a holding logo till the real thing was revealed. The extensive presentation made zero mention of this, it was the finished article to go on all the kits etc. Its no surprise that there has been an attempt to change the narrative in light of the backlash.

Fourthly, even if we take everything said in the presentation at face value, the digital ready transition doesn't have a website or fully translated social media profiles. Facebook they are waiting to change (when surely this has been months in the planning) and Twitter they binned off their old page and followers altogether!

Lastly, the deadline is no excuse at all. York managed very professionally, Leigh we are told have the resources to do at least as well if not better.

• Like 3

There was loads of great stuff in the presentation, at least you seem to now admitting that the shambolic rebrand has taken away from that.

Thats the point we are making

Im not admitting to anything, the only bit that was embarrassing was the inclusion of that sentence. Do I like the leopard? Don’t mind it! 

Derek could have hired the most expensive company in the world to launch it and people would still be complaining.

I seem to recall Leigh hiring a good company to professionally produce a 700+ page application for SL in 2021 which was successful and still got ridiculed for it. Some people just like to have a pop at leigh because of Derek but they haven’t got the balls to be honest about it.

• Thanks 1

Of course not, but if you backtrack you should try make the thing actually better than the first effort.

Has there been any official communication that the logo is to actually change? Or the shirt?

There's no website to make an official communication on...

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

If only your club had thought a bit more deeply about their rebrand eh?

if my club had come out with that shambles id be the first to call them out.

Yep that's it , I'm done with them , never going again 

Till first match next season in SL 😉

1 minute ago, binosh said:

Derek could have hired the most expensive company in the world to launch it and people would still be complaining.

Perhaps they would - no one can please everyone. But at least it'd have been done properly. 

We owe that to the sport.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

I don’t particularly like Wigan’s badge but it was done professionally and with thought and care.

you should care, your club is being ridiculed

We get it every day for not having a train station , heaven knows how I'll get to the games next year ?🙁