Shaun Wane vows to carry on

Wane is a good coach, and I'm open to him staying, but the key is will he, and the wider elite RL program, figure out why the team got it all wrong on the day. The women's team also seemed ill prepared for what they were going to face in the semi, regardless of any talent disparity. Is it something structural in the set up? 

I suppose he's right that the only way you learn to prepare for such games is through experience, and SL itself doesn't seem to provide the right experience. But he and the RFL need to show capacity for accurately diagnosing and fixing what went wrong. 

I've more faith in him to do that than the RFL. Who is even in charge of the international program on the RFLs side?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

I don’t think there is a better candidate 

I think this is correct, I don't think there are really any other real contenders.

I do think Wane's hands were tied somewhat in this World Cup due to Covid and the forced delay. I think some of his decisions can certainly be questioned, like Tomkins and McIlorum, but there were positives too and I really like the way he backed players like Young, Farnworth and Welsby.

2025 is the true test. By then he will have had 3 Covid free years of preparation and it will be his team.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Damien said:

I think this is correct, I don't think there are really any other real contenders.

I do think Wane's hands were tied somewhat in this World Cup due to Covid and the forced delay. I think some of his decisions can certainly be questioned, like Tomkins and McIlorum, but there were positives too and I really like the way he backed players like Young, Farnworth and Welsby.

2025 is the true test. By then he will have had 3 Covid free years of preparation and it will be his team.

If playing three of the best options in their respective positions is something that we’re looking at as a positive in Wane’s tenure, I think that says a lot of Wane’s tenure. 

9 minutes ago, Jughead said:

If playing three of the best options in their respective positions is something that we’re looking at as a positive in Wane’s tenure, I think that says a lot of Wane’s tenure. 

If you just want to look for negatives that's up to you. I see it as a strong positive that he gave youth a chance, plenty of others haven't. There was also plenty of debate over all three of those players prior to the World Cup.

29 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Remember the worlds best RL coach playing Blake Austin on the wing??

Wane is a good coach and his teams are hard to beat, give him more chances to show how he develops the team - especially with a few of the 2022 team probably done with the national team, new faces will probably come into the squad now.

• Like 2

Until England have a player for each position playing week in week out in the NRL then the chances of competing against the SH on anything other than a one off game are a pipe dream. 

Who cares who coaches them you should all be more interested in who is currently coaching the next generation

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Damien said:

If you just want to look for negatives that's up to you. I see it as a strong positive that he gave youth a chance, plenty of others haven't. There was also plenty of debate over all three of those players prior to the World Cup.

I don’t choose to see playing players in their correct positions and playing lads who were the stand out candidates, regardless of age, in their respective positions as a particular positive and look at it as looking for false positives, personally. It’s a basic requirement of the job, unlike many years gone past where England/GB were short in certain areas and isn’t particularly a barometer for success, IMO. 

1 hour ago, Mr Frisky said:

Remember the worlds best RL coach playing Blake Austin on the wing??

Wane is a good coach and his teams are hard to beat, give him more chances to show how he develops the team - especially with a few of the 2022 team probably done with the national team, new faces will probably come into the squad now.

What a low bar of comparison. You’re seemingly forgetting, probably choosing to do so, that Bennett took England to a World Cup Final. Wane failed to do so despite an easier route than ever to a final during a home World Cup. I think it’s fair to then reevaluate whether a full time coach is needed and whether that man is Wane. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Midlands hobo said:

Until England have a player for each position playing week in week out in the NRL then the chances of competing against the SH on anything other than a one off game are a pipe dream. 

Who cares who coaches them you should all be more interested in who is currently coaching the next generation

I think you can care about both because youth/club and national team coaching are entirely different things. 

My concern is that Wane sent out a team for the semi final  - a talented team that appeared to be in good form - in completely the wrong headspace, and they underperformed across the park. He admits as much himself, which is good to see. 

The good thing is that sort of error is fixable, the question is is the incumbent the man to fix it. Probably, but no need to rush the decision. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Midlands hobo said:

England have beaten New Zealand in two series, beaten Fiji, Samoa, PNG, Tonga and PNG in the past five or so years.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Damien said:

The sf loss was a disaster. 

• Confused 1

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

2 hours ago, moorside roughyed said:

I firmly believe Wane is a very good coach. You certainly would struggle to get someone more patriotic than him. He has my vote 100%. We have some cracking young players and Wane will bring them on in the England set up.

Being patriotic... What does it have to do with coaching?

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

1 hour ago, Midlands hobo said:

Don't we want to see our best players in SL then?

Better players will mean a better league.

• Like 1

Its always going to be a balance, but if young players are looking at RL as a career choice having a route to the NRL will help especially as our salary cap level is not only not increasing its in real sense reducing due to inflation. 

Accept it SL is a mile off the NRL.

We should be aspiring to have players playing at the highest level regularly. If that means them going abroad then so be it. Currently SL is a feeder league for young players and a pension plan for end of career Aussies 

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

Hardly- it was a shame but Samoa were 3rd favourites for the WC with England 4th favourites- hardly a disaster. 

It was a disaster. Easiest route to a final ever, pumped Samoa four weeks previous to just about hanging in there against them, more so when they were down to sixteen for much of the game. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Midlands hobo said:

Accept it SL is a mile off the NRL.

We should be aspiring to have players playing at the highest level regularly. If that means them going abroad then so be it. Currently SL is a feeder league for young players and a pension plan for end of career Aussies 

It maybe in some aspects, but if the NRL style rugby is what the aussie national team were playing. Then they can happily keep the boring 1%rugby. The aussies honest to god, bored me. Other than the odd flash of brilliance it was so robotic, I was shocked. 

For me, only way to beat this is play high risk rugby and throw it about. Don't try to match them at the % game. And for god sake dont allow all our players go over there and get drilled into this style of play. 

We need our own style that is entertaining and attracts people to watch and play 

• Haha 1