Leeds Rhinos Captain

Similar to what Wigan did when Maguire first arrived at the club and announced a leadership team. However, I doubt this will make any difference whatsoever. Every top club needs multiple leaders within the team. The one person who is named captain doesn't necessarily make a huge difference in RL. Similarly, any good coach can develop leadership qualities within the squad even if there's already a captain. I can only see this as something that won't have a positive or negative benefit, but people will absolutely feed into whichever narrative fits how Leeds perform this year.

Wigan had a leadership group of five but it only lasted 1 season before reverting to Sean O'Loughlin. The leadership group came about as Michael Maguire wanted to encourage more leaders in the team and also because Sean O'Loughlin had a few injury hit seasons prior. The players actually preferred to revert back to a single captain after that season but a team obviously needs the right person who commands the respect of the team.

I think going down this route is a sign that Leeds have no obvious leader and Smith thinks it is probably better to try and foster more leadership across the team as a whole rather than just picking one player that isn't really cut out for it.

Edited by Damien

5 minutes ago, FearTheVee said:

I think Leeds will fall back again this season.  There’s something about Smith that makes me think things will collapse, I can’t quite put my finger on it though.

Weve got a far better set of forwards this year, I don’t think we’ll win anything this year but will be there or thereabouts, and I think Smith will do a fair few unorthodox things, hes that kind of coach (and all the better for it)

When he came in he clearly instructed the defensive line to not rush up and keep the line intact which is totally opposite to how all other teams defend, it worked though.

Scouring the lower leagues for younger fringe players is a gamble I admit but could also unearth some hidden gems.

2 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

Confusing for who? The players will be given a game plan and will know their roles, just like they did last year when we had various different captains.

Good captains gains a good rapport with officials,respect from players for and against over time its like Smith is playing fantasy league. 

43 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Weve got a far better set of forwards this year, I don’t think we’ll win anything this year but will be there or thereabouts, and I think Smith will do a fair few unorthodox things, hes that kind of coach (and all the better for it)

When he came in he clearly instructed the defensive line to not rush up and keep the line intact which is totally opposite to how all other teams defend, it worked though.

Scouring the lower leagues for younger fringe players is a gamble I admit but could also unearth some hidden gems.

No question he did a good job last year and I have no basis for my view - but I just think he likes to muck about a bit too much for his own good and could come unstuck.

hope I’m wrong as I love a bit of unorthodoxy in sport 

1 hour ago, FearTheVee said:

I think Leeds will fall back again this season.  There’s something about Smith that makes me think things will collapse, I can’t quite put my finger on it though.

I have seen the indecision in his face

I agree

1 hour ago, FearTheVee said:

No question he did a good job last year and I have no basis for my view - but I just think he likes to muck about a bit too much for his own good and could come unstuck.

hope I’m wrong as I love a bit of unorthodoxy in sport 

We'll just have to see, I much prefer his approach to a boring one.

He's been doing some fabulous work by all accounts with the whole squad and is really a 'team first' coach his favourite buzzword is connectivity.

His issue, and you can see by the social media reaction is our fans are one of the quickest to turn on the coach and the team so I hope for his sake we don't have a bad run at the start of the season.

12 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

We'll just have to see, I much prefer his approach to a boring one.

He's been doing some fabulous work by all accounts with the whole squad and is really a 'team first' coach his favourite buzzword is connectivity.

His issue, and you can see by the social media reaction is our fans are one of the quickest to turn on the coach and the team so I hope for his sake we don't have a bad run at the start of the season.

I think that is your take on it,it's almost as if your offended by anything other than praise for anything Rhino,  Smith may turn out to be a maverick but people are allowed an opinion not turning on the coach or team that smacks of insecurity.

ALAW.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Does rather feel like this decision has been made because there's no obvious leader in the team - rather than the angle they would have you believe, that there's too many to pick from. I think it will become Oledzki in years to come but I am surprised the likes of Sezer/Austin/Myler aren't even mentioned when it comes to this kind of discussion. Don't think Leeds have had a captain for more than one season since Sinfield retired so overall it won't make much difference but I still think it's an odd move to not appoint one. 

I think this is a very important point.

In Sezer, Austin and Myler they have three very experienced pivot players who just don't seem to be in the mix for the captaincy or at least discussions on the leadership group.  For a player like Sezer in particular this says a fair bit as you would want him to be the loudest voice on the pitch managing the team around the park.

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 hours ago, Tippytoe said:

I think that is your take on it,it's almost as if your offended by anything other than praise for anything Rhino,  Smith may turn out to be a maverick but people are allowed an opinion not turning on the coach or team that smacks of insecurity.

ALAW.

Of course it’s my take on it, that’s why I posted it

Where have I said others aren’t allowed an opinion?

19 hours ago, Damien said:

Wigan had a leadership group of five but it only lasted 1 season before reverting to Sean O'Loughlin. The leadership group came about as Michael Maguire wanted to encourage more leaders in the team and also because Sean O'Loughlin had a few injury hit seasons prior. The players actually preferred to revert back to a single captain after that season but a team obviously needs the right person who commands the respect of the team.

I think going down this route is a sign that Leeds have no obvious leader and Smith thinks it is probably better to try and foster more leadership across the team as a whole rather than just picking one player that isn't really cut out for it.

tend to agree... If their was a stand out, that others gravitated too,  that would always make the team then I think he would have choose such a person.

Last season captain Leemings form  dropped off last season after his injury and maybe hasn't shown the leadership credentials the coach would like. Plus he doesn't maybe see him being a 80 min player.

Plus I still not sure he has fixed his mind on the starting 17, especially listening to his comments after the Hull KR friendly. Although maybe his comments then was for some players performances to step up more.

Edited by redjonn

3 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I think this is a very important point.

In Sezer, Austin and Myler they have three very experienced pivot players who just don't seem to be in the mix for the captaincy or at least discussions on the leadership group.  For a player like Sezer in particular this says a fair bit as you would want him to be the loudest voice on the pitch managing the team around the park.

This is so true every team needs a talisman. 

1 hour ago, redjonn said:

tend to agree... If their was a stand out, that others gravitated too,  that would always make the team then I think he would have choose such a person.

Last season captain Leemings form  dropped off last season after his injury and maybe hasn't shown the leadership credentials the coach would like. Plus he doesn't maybe see him being a 80 min player.

Plus I still not sure he has fixed his mind on the starting 17, especially listening to his comments after the Hull KR friendly. Although maybe his comments then was for some players performances to step up more.

I don't agree with that assessment of Leeming, especially given he was playing halfback half the time too due to injuries. Was a perfectly decent enough Captain for me, I just think Rohan Smith doesn't rate him: but evidently Smith has a lot of strange and out there views on Rugby League.

On 07/02/2023 at 22:19, Chrispmartha said:

Why isn't it a good idea? why do you need a single person with the title Captain?

If you have players that are leaders the only real thing a captain does in a game is be able to talk to the ref, and that person will be decided on depending on the game plan.

Like the short kick off thing we need people in the game to break the mold and try new ideas

It’s a hierarchy thing. There must be a leader in all walks. Even Kumbaya!

How can anything be achieved without a supreme ruler and in turn, followers?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

I don't agree with that assessment of Leeming, especially given he was playing halfback half the time too due to injuries. Was a perfectly decent enough Captain for me, I just think Rohan Smith doesn't rate him: but evidently Smith has a lot of strange and out there views on Rugby League.

I don't think he'll start much....O'Connor is clearly preferred by Smith (rightly)

Might have to cover in halves but that's his only way in....and he doesn't have the boot or vision to play in the halves 

On 07/02/2023 at 22:04, Chrispmartha said:

Agreed, worst fans in the game  by some way. 

Edited by Ragingbull
  • Haha 1