Sun 26th Feb: SL: Castleford Tigers v St Helens KO 13:00

Who will win?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Castleford Tigers
    • St Helens

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 26/02/23 at 13:30

37 minutes ago, Magic Superbeetle said:

You can’t have it both ways. To say it was reckless and a professional foul is a contradiction in terms - either Welsby meant to do it to stop the try or he didn’t and was reckless - it can’t be both.

I think if that’s a sin binning there were 5 or 6 which should have walked today. Initial contact was on the shoulder but moved to the head due to the step. It was a marginal penalty but in any other situation no one would have mentioned it further. 
The only thing notable about it was its position on the field. Given Lomax and Hurrell sliding over it’s absolutely crazy the ref could be definitive he would score without fumbling or putting himself in touch - just look at Fairamo. 

I watched this game in The Railway pub in Featherstone, a place not known for favourable opinions towards Castleford and even viewers in there were surprised at the leniency shown by the ref towards this incident

• Like 3

Gotta love channel 4 bringing out a Greggs sausage roll as a prize, whoever did that - well played!!!

Strange game really, Cas had enough chances to put the game to bed twice over but bombed everyone, even the penalty try wasn't convincing enough to say they'd score.

Credit to Saints though for sucking it up and then taking control, guess that's why they have 4 rings a piece.

Faraimo wants fining for that unexcusable 'effort'.

Entertaining enough for a Sunday afternoon though.

• Like 2

Just so you know, I did end up in the Junction and yes I was grumpy though I did cheer up after beer and bread and dripping and beer.

One suggestion was that if Greg Eden had been LW then the half time score may have been different....therefore.....

OK, OK this is ifs and buts and maybes but My Word there was a shed load of them. That's what Cas must take from this game.

I'd congratulate St Helens but Superleague is too far down this this track I think. 

Time for the lesser significances of the St PieLoins to make SL great again. 

OK, well done Saints, great performance. 

• Like 1

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

2 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

At the end of the day, it was a professional foul that prevented a try, so should have warranted a sin bin.

To compound that, it was a reckless head high tackle.

And he stays on the field?, remarkable.

My feeling at the time was that the referee gave the penalty try to avoid making a decision about whether a red card was applicable.

It was just his manner and how he explained it to the touch judge. Usually they would go to the screen to be sure. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Niels said:

My feeling at the time was that the referee gave the penalty try to avoid making a decision about whether a red card was applicable.

It was just his manner and how he explained it to the touch judge. Usually they would go to the screen to be sure. 

I don’t think there was any avoidance. The referee, who had another good game, was clear about the penalty try and, in my opinion, back his judgement which is what we have all been crying out for.

There seems to have been less use of the VR this season. Maybe a change of culture now that Ganson is away from the office

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Niels said:

You can't give a penalty try and a yellow card. The giving of one negates the other.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

7 minutes ago, Padge said:

You can't give a penalty try and a yellow card. The giving of one negates the other.

But wouldn't dangerous play, which includes head tackles, have to be considered separately from the award of the penalty try? 

I have had a look online but I can't find anything clear.

In this game, St Helens weren't really punished. Castleford would have scored anyway. So there was no detriment for the head high tackle. 

Just now, Niels said:

But wouldn't dangerous play, which includes head tackles, have to be considered separately from the award of the penalty try? 

I have had a look online but I can't find anything clear.

In this game, St Helens weren't really punished. Castleford would have scored anyway. So there was no detriment for the head high tackle. 

The try was given under the sticks, he would have scored in the corner.

I believe the choice is, penalty try no card for 'accidental' foul play when the ref considers a try would have been definitley scored, or a penalty try and sending off is an option for 'deliberate' foul play. 

You can't be punished for the same crime twice but the sentence can be a lot harsher if premeditation is, in the judgement of the ref, involved.

If in the normal field of play the tackle warrented a yellow then a penalty try can be given instead. If in the field of play the tackle warrented a red then a penalty try and a red can be given.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

2 minutes ago, Padge said:

The try was given under the sticks, he would have scored in the corner.

I believe the choice is, penalty try no card for 'accidental' foul play when the ref considers a try would have been definitley scored, or a penalty try and sending off is an option for 'deliberate' foul play. 

You can't be punished for the same crime twice but the sentence can be a lot harsher if premeditation is, in the judgement of the ref, involved.

If in the normal field of play the tackle warrented a yellow then a penalty try can be given instead. If in the field of play the tackle warrented a red then a penalty try and a red can be given.

Thank you Padge.

I tried looking online but your answer is more detailed and helpful. 

I may ask you again in the future about the rules if it's ok?🙂

3 hours ago, snapski said:

Glad some agree OF. Fans can see when their team is well beaten. We just want fairness. At that time it could have changed the game. Amor wouldn’t mention it, too far stuck up saints

#PrayForsnapski

#ImDoneWithRugbyLeague #CasWuzRobbed #JokeMate 

#NoWonderTheSportIsOnItsArse  😂

3 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

At the end of the day, it was a professional foul that prevented a try, so should have warranted a sin bin.

To compound that, it was a reckless head high tackle.

And he stays on the field?, remarkable.

A proffesional foul is a deliberate act, a swinging bad judged arm is a bad judged tackle. There is nothing to suggest he deliberatley made a choice to clean him out, only that he got the tackle wrong. If every player who got a tackle wrong was sent off we would be playing 5 a side.

I can't believe I am defending Saints, but it is the logic of the laws and not the reaction of the lynch mob I follow.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Damien said:

The thing is the penalty try is correct but Cas are hard done by with no action taken against Welsby. If no further action can be taken when a penalty try is awarded then that rule is wrong. If I was Cas I would prefer a red card there and no penalty try.

I think Saints could’ve gone down to ten players and Cas would have continued with their Keystone Cops antics. 

8 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

Jordan Turner utter garbage 

I thought i was the only person who thought that johnny. He was garbage at Saints as well. I think we only signed him after he scored a length of the field try when he skinned Shenton at the then Langtree Park.

I saw him have one decent game in a Saints shirt at Wire. Most of the time he looked overweight and ponderous. 

8 hours ago, bobbruce said:

Ritsons attempt before the penalty try and that attempted tackle are probably why he’s been in the championship so long. 

He’s got a lot of learning to do bob. Grace was the same, but the advantage Grace had he over Ritson is Regan had a couple of years left on his contract. I do hope Saints sign him and give him a couple of years, because he is exciting when he gets the ball. I love seeing players who come up from the lower leagues make it in the top tier no matter who they play for. 

• Like 2

I reckon that some bookies will make a quid or three from that small subset of fans who want to have a flutter, but just can't bring themselves to bet on an expansion club win.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I thought Broadbent had a good game for Cas. 
I would sooner have Bennison at fullback for Saints than on the wing because i think he is too small at the moment. But yesterday he was excellent and safe under a high ball. This time last season id never heard of the lad, he could have a promising future. 

2 minutes ago, Josef K said:

I thought Broadbent had a good game for Cas. 
I would sooner have Bennison at fullback for Saints than on the wing because i think he is too small at the moment. But yesterday he was excellent and safe under a high ball. This time last season id never heard of the lad, he could have a promising future. 

Bennison is flying under the radar, due to other names at Saints making headlines, like Welsby, Walmsley and Dodds. He's quietly over-achieving with the pressure elsewhere, and should make the most of that. He makes very few mistakes and reads the game pretty well too.

• Like 3

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Niels said:

I think it was a yellow and no penalty try as hurrell was in the back ground. He stopped running to cut back inside and if welsby missed hurrell would have stopped him. Deffo a yellow for the high tackle although a few high shots went without a yellow....

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Bennison is flying under the radar, due to other names at Saints making headlines, like Welsby, Walmsley and Dodds. He's quietly over-achieving with the pressure elsewhere, and should make the most of that. He makes very few mistakes and reads the game pretty well too.

Hes great, just needs to beef up a bit