Attendance thread

5 hours ago, Dunbar said:

To be fair, I don't do nightlife so much these days.  I much prefer a nice restaurant or pub with good food and a decent drink menu.  Of which there are loads to choose from.

yes theres loads of macdonalds and burger kings to choose from in that there London - 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

1 hour ago, Tre Cool said:

You can not like London, fine, I'd rather live in a small town or village in the north tbh, but you can't say "I don't understand why anyone lives in London or would want to go there".

Yes you can , I did 😀

14 hours ago, JonNgog said:

The improvement in Liverpool in 30 years is truly staggering. Will be interesting to see how it progresses from here, I do hope it keeps its very strong identity.

It will, it’s the most parochial city in this country by far, and possibly Europe and the whole world. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

More true than many admit ....

It's incredibly impressive how union has managed it though 

I 100% believe it. Such a terrible game. Nobody can tell me they think it's a decent sport and expect me to take them seriously.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Something to cheer everyone up who hasn't seen it 

https://www.cityam.com/premiership-rugby-attendances-down-by-over-1000-per-match/

Cross code I know but want everyone to see 

Particularly bad considering in theory there are 3 sets of fans who should be out there as a market to attract for the existing 10 clubs (Wasps, Warriors and Irish)

#heartwarming

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Something to cheer everyone up who hasn't seen it 

https://www.cityam.com/premiership-rugby-attendances-down-by-over-1000-per-match/

Cross code I know but want everyone to see 

Particularly bad considering in theory there are 3 sets of fans who should be out there as a market to attract for the existing 10 clubs (Wasps, Warriors and Irish)

#heartwarming

Don’t see why anyone should celebrate the decline of any sport to be honest.

id rather concentrate on making RL better and more successful than cheer on the demise of another sport even if it is our rival.

The bigger question to ask is why this decline is happening in both codes of rugby and the alarming rise of the football behemoth that just seems to be getting bigger and bigger year on year.

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, On the buses said:

Don’t see why anyone should celebrate the decline of any sport to be honest.

id rather concentrate on making RL better and more successful than cheer on the demise of another sport even if it is our rival.

The bigger question to ask is why this decline is happening in both codes of rugby and the alarming rise of the football behemoth that just seems to be getting bigger and bigger year on year.

Totally disagree 

I'll cheer the decline of kick and clap until I die or it does 

And league attendances were up last season by the way

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Totally disagree 

As is your right to do so but I think it just looks bad on our sport.

good news that our attendances were up last season. Now that’s something I can get behind.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, On the buses said:

Why is it alarming? Sky have £21m (loose change) to spend on RL because they rake in millions from soccer subscribers and advertising during Prem matches. Also I'm not sure we're competing for the same audience anyway.

1 minute ago, HawkMan said:

Why is it alarming? Sky have £21m (loose change) to spend on RL because they rake in millions from soccer subscribers and advertising during Prem matches. Also I'm not sure we're competing for the same audience anyway.

Every time I go back to my home town of Whitehaven and the wider west Cumbrian region I see less and less people wearing RL jerseys and kids playing with rugby balls compared to seeing plenty of Man City, Newcastle and Liverpool jerseys as well as kids playing football.

1 hour ago, On the buses said:

good news that our attendances were up last season. Now that’s something I can get behind.

I should probably add I still play a bit of third team union approaching 50 so I'm happy for it to continue for say another 3 years before I jack it in....then union hopefully will collapse .....probably will once it loses me as an athlete anyway 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, On the buses said:

Every time I go back to my home town of Whitehaven and the wider west Cumbrian region I see less and less people wearing RL jerseys and kids playing with rugby balls compared to seeing plenty of Man City, Newcastle and Liverpool jerseys as well as kids playing football.

That just says more about how dominant football is than it does about anything else.

37 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I should probably add I still play a bit of third team union approaching 50 so I'm happy for it to continue for say another 3 years before I jack it in....then union hopefully will collapse .....probably will once it loses me as an athlete anyway 

Why do you play it if you hate it so much 😂 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, footy_fan_nrl said:

That just says more about how dominant football is than it does about anything else.

Absolutely but in the late 80’s and a good part of the 90’s RL was king in west Cumbria even compared to football.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Totally disagree 

It might be in decline in terms of domestic attendances in England, but internationally the tournament smashed viewing figures again and is becoming significantly more popular overall worldwide.  RL needs to take note and act to improve interest in its international game, a lot.

Edited by Hello
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Hello said:

It might be in decline in terms of domestic attendances in England, but internationally the tournament smashed viewing figures again and is becoming significantly more popular overall worldwide.  RL needs to take note and act to improve interest in its international game, a lot.

The 6 nations and autumn internationals are massive money spinners for union.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, On the buses said:

It looks bad wishing ill on a sport that actively tries to destroy ours at every opportunity?  Don't be soft.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, On the buses said:

The 6 nations and autumn internationals are massive money spinners for union.

Internationals make the money; the club game loses it.

In Rugby League, it's the other way round because getting all the major powers to take international RL seriously as a long-term investment makes herding cats look as easy as falling off a log.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

13 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Internationals make the money; the club game loses it.

In Rugby League, it's the other way round because getting all the major powers to take international RL seriously as a long-term investment makes herding cats look as easy as falling off a log.

And the laughable thing is that RL only has 2 major powers and still can't get it right.

• Like 1