Mike Cooper : Season ending injury. (Merged Threads)

GRADE  

NORMAL SUSPENSION RANGE

PREVIOUS SUSPENSION RANGE  

A

0 – Fine

0 – 1  

B  

Fine - 1

1 – 2  

C

1-2(and fine) 

2 – 3

D  

2-3(and fine) 

3 – 5  

E

4-6(and fine) 

4 – 8  

F  

6+ or period suspension (and fine)  

8+ or period suspension  

8 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Thanks.  Are there strict regulations, or just guidelines do you know? (On my phone on the tube but will look later).

As for bans... agreed.  And we reduced them across the board this year as well didn't we.

Mcguire was given a ban higher than the band. The RFL came down hard on him, hopefully Dudson and Knowles will get similar treatment, both IMO were as or not more serious as what Mcguire did. 

That’s a real shame , I’ve always liked Cooper . He stood up and was a success in the NRL doing a solid consistent job week in week out and has had a good career . He does what it says on the tin . I don’t like these tackles where you’re off your feet and drag a player down , it’s another way where you’re out of control . I wish him well 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Dave T said:

In the last 10 months Morgan Knowles has been found guilty either by MRP or tribunal 8 times. This will be the 9th.

At what stage do we address that there is a real issue here. 

When Morgan Knowles' solicitor has paid off the mortgage on his huge house, made of gold and located on Mars. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Dave T said:

So last season, based on poor record and a Grade D offence, Knowles would get 5 matches. This season, it's 3 matches. 

Just remember this is what the players, coaches, owners, journalists and fans apparently all wanted.

As we have both agreed previously it was a poor change rather than getting the players and coaches to amend their ways

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, LeeF said:

Just remember this is what the players, coaches, owners, journalists and fans apparently all wanted.

As we have both agreed previously it was a poor change rather than getting the players and coaches to amend their ways

It's funny how they highlight a fine to try and gaslight us into thinking that this isn't a softening of the disciplinary, despite the fa t there was always a fine that accompanied a ban anyway. 

• Like 1

It's a shame for a player who has had an excellent career. I wasn't best pleased with the way he left Wire but I wouldn't wish that on any player.

As for Knowles, well we keep coming back to him don't we. I think he is a nasty guy who has conducted some horrible acts on the field, especially in the last year and has been responsible for much worse injuries than the usual pantomime villains like Bentley. But others insist he is a 'proper', 'tough' player.

• Like 2

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

51 minutes ago, Dave T said:

In the last 10 months Morgan Knowles has been found guilty either by MRP or tribunal 8 times. This will be the 9th.

When fellow professionals are calling you out there's a major problem.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Tippytoe said:

When fellow professionals are calling you out there's a major problem.

That is absolutely true but if like was posted earlier he didn’t get charged for the McGilvary one then the games getting something wrong somewhere. This is all fairly simple do we want to protect players or listen to the games gone soft brigade. This is not just these tackles but high shots, shoulder charges late hits we need to start taking them all seriously. Cooper been the unlucky player to get a serious injury but it could’ve been anyone. There’s no point giving Knowles 8 games if the next time it happens we just ban them for a game because no one was injured. 

• Like 2

• Like 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

22 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It's funny how they highlight a fine to try and gaslight us into thinking that this isn't a softening of the disciplinary, despite the fa t there was always a fine that accompanied a ban anyway. 

I'm not so sure I agree.

I think the new system means that if there wasn't cause to send a player off in a game, then there should be a significant amount of reasoning behind subsequently banning a player. Effectively a ban works as a series of Red Cards from the start of a match, if the initial incident didn't warrant a red card, it seems illogical, unless something has been missed, to start doing otherwise. Bans should be for incidents either too major for a red card, or not punished sufficiently, if at all, during a game.

This also therefore refrains from undermining referees on the pitch following MRP decisions - simple penalties or yellow cards aren't unnecessarily and consistently turning into multi match bans.

MRP's should be able to take into account previous behaviour and then punish appropriately and if necessary. 

57 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Mcguire was given a ban higher than the band. The RFL came down hard on him, hopefully Dudson and Knowles will get similar treatment, both IMO were as or not more serious as what Mcguire did. 

Mcguire couldn't have been given a higher ban for 'previous' though as it was his first charge in the UK.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Just now, Dunbar said:

Mcguire couldn't have been given a higher ban for 'previous' though as it was his first charge in the UK.

Bringing the sport into disrepute is probably a legitimate cause for a lengthy ban imo.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Bringing the sport into disrepute is probably a legitimate cause for a lengthy ban imo.

It is. But it just isn't the subject of that part of this thread's chat.  We were discussing players getting lengthier bans due to previous incidents. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

I am sure Saints fans will have yet another excuse for him ....

There is playing the game hard and there is being a grub......shame he is becoming the latter 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I'm not so sure I agree.

I think the new system means that if there wasn't cause to send a player off in a game, then there should be a significant amount of reasoning behind subsequently banning a player. Effectively a ban works as a series of Red Cards from the start of a match, if the initial incident didn't warrant a red card, it seems illogical, unless something has been missed, to start doing otherwise. Bans should be for incidents either too major for a red card, or not punished sufficiently, if at all, during a game.

This also therefore refrains from undermining referees on the pitch following MRP decisions - simple penalties or yellow cards aren't unnecessarily and consistently turning into multi match bans.

MRP's should be able to take into account previous behaviour and then punish appropriately and if necessary. 

The new system doesn't mean that. It is simply a lowering of the grading. 

58 minutes ago, LeeF said:

Journalists ...

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

I thought Mcguire was charged at F which is 6 plus. He got 7.

Knowles has been given 5 matches though at grade D. 

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The new system doesn't mean that. It is simply a lowering of the grading. 

I'm not saying it can't be refined. But players not doing actions worthy of red cards shouldn't routinely be getting banned for future matches without good reason.