England v Tonga series

9 minutes ago, Eddie said:

If they could fill, or be close to filling that it would be a result, and a cracking atmosphere. 

I don’t get why the RFL are so lacking in ambition that they won’t fully open a 25,000 capacity stadium for a match that will still be a valid contest i.e. not a dead rubber.

• Like 5

England Team if it were selected right now?

• 1.Wellens
  • 2.. Young
  • 3. Wardle
  • 4. Farnworth
  • 5. Johnstone
  • 6. Williams
  • 7. Dodd
  • 8. Burgess
  • 9. Ackers
  • 10. Havard
  • 11. Whitehead
  • 12. McMeekin
  • 13. C Smith

14. Lewis 15. Knowles 16. Oledski 17. Thompson

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

England Team if it were selected right now?

• 1.Wellens
  • 2.. Young
  • 3. Wardle
  • 4. Farnworth
  • 5. Johnstone
  • 6. Williams
  • 7. Dodd
  • 8. Burgess
  • 9. Ackers
  • 10. Havard
  • 11. Whitehead
  • 12. McMeekin
  • 13. C Smith

14. Lewis 15. Knowles 16. Oledski 17. Thompson

Would probably go with Welsby over Wellens these days to be honest...

• Haha 10

15 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

I don’t get why the RFL are so lacking in ambition that they won’t fully open a 25,000 capacity stadium for a match that will still be a valid contest i.e. not a dead rubber.

It’s prob worth seeing how sales go before opening the whole stadium. Does anyone really think at this stage that the game will get over 16k spectators? 

29 minutes ago, Eddie said:

It’s prob worth seeing how sales go before opening the whole stadium. Does anyone really think at this stage that the game will get over 16k spectators? 

This doesn't answer your question necessarily but I will say that out of the 3 games in the series, this is the one I am planning to attend because travelling from Hull this is by far the easiest ground to get to; its just an hour long train journey and a 10 minute walk to the ground. If I'm choosing this one for accessibility maybe others travelling from further afield will do so as well. 

Edited by The Hallucinating Goose
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Eddie said:

Think small, get small. 16,000 is smaller than the TW for the opening game. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

We have to pretend that we've never played internationals outside the heartlands to bigger crowds.

Not sure why but it's apparently a thing we have to do.

• Like 6

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

44 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

Agreed, but as the thinking is small do you think they’ll get more than 16k at Huddersfield? I don’t. I doubt the RFL have even advertised tickets yet, hopefully they’ll be pushing them at the CC final. 

Edit - looks like they’ve sold about 500 so far https://www.eticketing.co.uk/rugbyleague/EDP/Event/Index/137?position=5

Edited by Eddie

9 hours ago, Gomersall said:

It really is pathetic. The three venues are small time enough as it is without not even backing yourself to sellout a 25k stadium. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Agreed, but as the thinking is small do you think they’ll get more than 16k at Huddersfield? I don’t. I doubt the RFL have even advertised tickets yet, hopefully they’ll be pushing them at the CC final. 

Edit - looks like they’ve sold about 500 so far https://www.eticketing.co.uk/rugbyleague/EDP/Event/Index/137?position=5

If the RFL don't think they can get more than 16k at Huddersfield then this match certainly should not be played at Huddersfield. This is all wrong no matter what way you look at it.

The RFL undermine every event they sell with this nonsense. If they don't believe in their events and the appeal of them I'm not sure how they can expect anyone else to.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Damien said:

It really is pathetic. The three venues are small time enough as it is without not even backing yourself to sellout a 25k stadium. 

All 3 venues should have had a minimum capacity of 20k and maximum capacity of 30k for the 1st Tongan tour to gauge interest.

8 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

This doesn't answer your question necessarily but I will say that out of the 3 games in the series, this is the one I am planning to attend because travelling from Hull this is by far the easiest ground to get to; its just an hour long train journey and a 10 minute walk to the ground. .

From Hull Headingley would be a slightly longer train journey (with a change at Leeds) but a shorter walk to the ground?

13 minutes ago, Damien said:

If the RFL don't think they can get more than 16k at Huddersfield then this match certainly should not be played at Huddersfield. This is all wrong no matter what way you look at it.

The RFL undermine every event they sell with this nonsense. If they don't believe in their events and the appeal of them I'm not sure how they can expect anyone else to.

Yes exactly this. If I was promoting a band, I wouldn’t put them on at a huge venue that there was absolutely no chance of filling, or even half filling. You’d go for an appropriate size venue. 
OR

If for whatever reason you did choose the big venue, you’d push it for all it was worth and seriously promote it. 
Yet more “build it and they will come” thinking and relying on the same old people to turn up. 

For all most people know, Tonga could be as prestigious as the Kangaroos. But presenting it in a half assed way and mumbling about it instead of shouting about it from the rooftops will result in the usual half assed attendances we always get.
(With a pre tournament warning about the games being close to selling out of course) 😏

Edited by The Masked Poster
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, The Masked Poster said:

For all most people know, Tonga could be as prestigious as the Kangaroos. But presenting it in a half assed way and mumbling about it instead of shouting about it from the rooftops will result in the usual half assed attendances we always get.
(With a pre tournament warning about the games being close to selling out of course) 😏

Not even sure it is a "half assed way" anymore.

It is just the Rugby League way.

5 hours ago, gingerjon said:

We have to pretend that we've never played internationals outside the heartlands to bigger crowds.

Not sure why but it's apparently a thing we have to do.

The only way the RFL will risk a london test would be if AUS toured.  Otherwise its M62 all the way