What makes a good commentator?

David Coleman's getting the "chopped liver" treatment on this thread, isn't he? One of the most painstakingly professional commentators in the business, across multiple sports, but who could also transmit huge enthusiasm over the airwaves.

• Like 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

David Coleman's getting the "chopped liver" treatment on this thread, isn't he? One of the most painstakingly professional commentators in the business, across multiple sports, but who could also transmit huge enthusiasm over the airwaves.

Indeed , he was eponymous when I grew up . The Swiss Army knife of sports commentary . Add in presenting  and a cross over show like question of sport which was massive and he’s up there at the top of the tree in sports broadcasting .

When I think of my favourite moments of commentary across sport, there’s always one thing that unifies them: unrestrained excitement.

If the commentator doesn’t have an effusive love of the sport he/she is calling, they will never be top notch in my view.

I suppose that’s why many of us rate Andrew Voss on Fox League or Andrew Moore on ABC Grandstand and are colder on some of the British commentators. 

• Like 1

Agreed re Voss, and one of the things that differs from his commentary and what we have is his constant bigging up of the play. You regularly hear something like 'what an incredible piece of skill' or 'how on earth did he do that, amazing!' and the likes, when what's just happened is no different from what we often see pass without comment in SL.

If people are told by an expert what they've just watched is fantastic they don't generally have any reason to think otherwise. We don't do that enough.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Human Punk said:

Agreed re Voss, and one of the things that differs from his commentary and what we have is his constant bigging up of the play. You regularly hear something like 'what an incredible piece of skill' or 'how on earth did he do that, amazing!' and the likes, when what's just happened is no different from what we often see pass without comment in SL.

If people are told by an expert what they've just watched is fantastic they don't generally have any reason to think otherwise. We don't do that enough.

I have an issue with Jonathan Davies regarding your last point. So often he describes something as a `simple try' just because the last person walks it in. No mention of what the play was leading up to it to create the walk-in.

• Like 6

• 5 months later...

that could just have been one of the best pieces of RL  commentary ever by Vossy in the AUS V SAM live game - as payne haas crashes through to score the 1st try and his shorts come down " Haas shows us a crack in the samoa defence" 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

On 03/05/2023 at 21:04, Martyn Sadler said:

There are some great sporting events that stick in the memory, not just because of the action but also because of the commentary.

The so-called greatest try ever scored in rugby union falls into that category. Cliff Morgan was the commentator, but he only got the gig because Bill McLaren was ill. But his commentary on Gareth Edwards' try was the true gold standard.

"Gareth Edwards - what can touch a man like that?"

Played a fair bit of Union in the 50's before leaving the UK and Cliff Morgan was a brilliant fly half for Wales and the Lions. Lightning fast with beautiful hands he was the best FH I have ever seen. Loved that commentary!

Watch the game as a knowledgeable fan & get excited when warranted

Celebrate the fantastic not the ordinary

Keep your catch phrases fresh (not Stevo Bingoesque)

Avoid being monotone

Don't indulge in commentary team in-jokes (SKY team take note)

Understand the value of silence (unlike Rod Studd)

Know the players names & be accurate about the play

Have belief that todays players are at least the equal of yesteryears

Don't try to educate the listener

• Like 1

I wish fans would have a say on the commentary both in the NRL and SL. After all the fans are the ones who listen to it so they should be able to say who’s good and who’s not. 

So many times this season I have had to watch a game silent just because of how revolting some of the commentators are. Something has to change, and I hope that having every super league game being broadcasted will unlock a heap of good new commentators but I’m not optimistic.

For me the perfect commentator would be an amalgamation of the incisive comments of Barrie McDermott, the flowery prose of Terry O'Connor,  the ability to engender excitement like Bill Arthur, the wisdom of Phil Clarke, the calm analysis of Jon Wells and all spoken with the diction of JJB. 

• Haha 3

It's unbelievable to me that JJB actually has a commentary gig. He may be knowledgeable (I don't know, I can't understand him) but a broadcast commentator needs to be able to speak well. I have the good fortune of watching games on delay so can fast forward his parts - and I always do, that's how intolerable I find it listening to him. Truly horrible.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HawkMan said:

For me the perfect commentator would be an amalgamation of the incisive comments of Barrie McDermott, the flowery prose of Terry O'Connor,  the ability to engender excitement like Bill Arthur, the wisdom of Phil Clarke, the calm analysis of Jon Wells and all spoken with the diction of JJB. 

And the dress sense of Jon Wilkin.