BBC - The Longest Rugby League Road Trip

8 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

Nice piece by the BBC Sport team on the new record about to be set by Cornwall RL

It’s a very grown up article that talks positively about Cornwall and looks at the potential issues surrounding such a long coach trip.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/65779868

It's a bonkers journey. I don't envy Cornwall making away trips like this and they do it regularly whereas other clubs it's once a season. 

It's a real shame Workington couldn't accommodate the Cornwall request for an earlier kickoff 

50 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

It's a bonkers journey. I don't envy Cornwall making away trips like this and they do it regularly whereas other clubs it's once a season. 

It's a real shame Workington couldn't accommodate the Cornwall request for an earlier kickoff 

It's just something you get used to when you live in the deepest SW of England.

It's 1.5hrs to the nearest large(r) city. It's part of the compromise of living in such a beautiful part of the world!

With hybrid working now so prevalent, a lot of people I know are living in Cornwall and commuting right across the UK for work on a weekly/bi-weekly basis. Certainly offsets the poor local wages and lack of industry.

• Like 4

My son’s amateur sports team had a nearly 1000 mile round trip to an away game in Australia without using a plane but it was a one off. I can’t imaging doing it every fortnight.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Copa said:

My son’s amateur sports team had a nearly 1000 mile round trip to an away game in Australia without using a plane but it was a one off. I can’t imaging doing it every fortnight.

Yeah, well back in my day, my son used to walk 20 miles to school every day!

3 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Yeah, well back in my day, my son used to walk 20 miles to school every day!

Tell that to the kids these days, they'll never believe yer! 

2 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

Workington have moved it from 3pm to 2.30pm, thats unfortunately the best they can do.

1 hour ago, Copa said:

Had to do 414km round trip last weekend. I had to drive the bus and play. I love it though.

new rise.jpg

i went to Cornwall RLFC las weekend - took me 5 days from North Wales (365 miles).....however 1 did cycle there to raise money for Motor Neurone Disease....you can read about it here!

https://www.leaderlive.co.uk/news/23560754.crusaders-fan-cycles-wrexham-cornwall-aid-mnd/?fbclid=IwAR0-r94GByzaBG1GLE84tS9_6iWZ2a9dvagqa6eu92pitOogG-67OEgeimQ

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Copa said:

I remember a fella coming to play for Sheffield as a trialist in Darwin back in 1997. Travelled 1500 km, played 8 minutes, didn't do all that well, travelled 1500 km back.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"