The 2024 Kit Thread

1 hour ago, Gomersall said:

It’s not just two months. Do clubs really wait until the season has finished before sorting out a deal fir the next season’s kits. Blaming the suppliers when you’ve dragged your heels is poor IMO. Clubs should absolutely be aiming to get the deal sorted and the shirts available to buy well before Christmas. 

Its so basic really and demonstrates the level most of these clubs operate at. For example, and I guess this is an extreme comparison, Leeds United's current season kit was designed and signed off on with Adidas prior to the end of the 2021/22 season, with nearly an 18 month lead in.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Its so basic really and demonstrates the level most of these clubs operate at. For example, and I guess this is an extreme comparison, Leeds United's current season kit was designed and signed off on with Adidas prior to the end of the 2021/22 season, with nearly an 18 month lead in.

The most pitiful thing for me is that it’s just basic common sense. Common sense seems to be at a premium in RL.

11 hours ago, Hopie said:

I don't think clubs should be allowed to have as many shirts as they want, there should be a maximum number per season. That's my preference and when I got my first home replica shirt it was worn by the team and by me the next season too, they just changed the away shirt that season.

But the big problem I have with it is this is so small time and shows a lack of ambition. They need to sell X number of shirts a year, but instead of finding X number of people to buy into the brand/team/club so they want to buy a shirt, they make several shirts and try and sell several to the same people. It is not a long term plan!

Think I won't waste much time worrying about that over here until we get clubs rivalling the NZ Warriors, until then I think we're safe.

Just now, JonM said:

Widnes one seems to have divided opinions pretty sharply. I really like it, a lot of fans seem to hate it. Unusual to have the home kit without the team name or logo on it.

Is it tied to a specific anniversary or anything - I haven't read around, just seen the pictures on the post.

I like it as a good example of doing a simple design well.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Those Halifax ones are probably the worst I’ve seen, sponsors at a jaunty angle, faded panther logo at the bottom of the V for some reason, odd colour blue, just a mess. Like they’ve been designed by Stevie Wonder. 

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Is it tied to a specific anniversary or anything 

Not as far as I know, although there is a a certain proportion of the fanbase who have been campaigning for the town crest to be on the jersey for many years, and I suspect those people are also of a vintage to appreciate the nod to the 1980s design.  Not sure whether they are the demographic who buy replica jerseys though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JonM said:

Widnes one seems to have divided opinions pretty sharply. I really like it, a lot of fans seem to hate it. Unusual to have the home kit without the team name or logo on it.

The Widnes one has a spelling mistake on it. The latin wording on the town crest on the home shirt  is incorrect. 

Their fans have quite rightly gone in to meltdown.  An absolute laughing stock. 

12 minutes ago, Ragingbull said:

The Widnes one has a spelling mistake on it. The latin wording on the town crest on the home shirt  is incorrect. 

Their fans have quite rightly gone in to meltdown.  An absolute laughing stock. 

Surprisingly, it seems to be a not uncommon error.

I can find a Widnes town shield t-shirt (I'm sad so I've been googling) that has the same mistake. And the open source 'logopedia' (I know) site, has this:

https://logos.fandom.com/wiki/Widnes_Vikings?file=Widnes-coat-of-arms.png

(Still not excusable but clearly not just the rugby team getting it wrong).

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 06/12/2023 at 09:15, Barley Mow said:

I think Hunslet's kits were put on here a while back when they were released, but I've just noticed they are doing something I haven't seen before.

For an extra £10 you can buy a reversible shirt which is the home kit one way round and the away kit the other.

https://hunsletrlfc.com/store/pre-order-2024-reversible-replica-principal-shirt/

Do any other clubs do this?

They quote ‘two for the price of one’, but that’s not the case surely if it’s an extra tenner? 😊 

Not something I’ve ever seen other than the England football kit 2001ish that was reversible with a training top that would give Sports Direct (or, god forbid, the RFL) a run for their money in their quest for the tackiest ‘flag replaces emblem’. 

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Surprisingly, it seems to be a not uncommon error.

I can find a Widnes town shield t-shirt (I'm sad so I've been googling) that has the same mistake. And the open source 'logopedia' (I know) site, has this:

https://logos.fandom.com/wiki/Widnes_Vikings?file=Widnes-coat-of-arms.png

(Still not excusable but clearly not just the rugby team getting it wrong).

Been taking an off season break had a bit of stuff to deal with, but this has raised me from my slumber like nothing else could.

So firstly the town crest issue, someone did a vector of the crest a few years back which the club have used from time to time but it's always been small enough for no one to notice the error. Blowing it up and using it as the watermark style design on the front of the shirt has drawn attention to it.

The correct spelling of the town motto Industria Ditat (Industry Enriches) is present on every single pre-1996 piece of memorabilia the club has in it's possession so as you say not excusable. They could have cross referenced with any of the shirts in the glass cases at the stadium but that feels like a level of due diligence we can't expect from the current Ops Manager.

Onto my more general complaints. The shirt is apparently a nod to the anniversary of our last Challenge Cup Win, but they couldn't do anything to reference that in the design because that was an Adidas kit and use of the three stripes is controlled. Also the crest is fully gold which makes it look like the Whitehaven badge. In any case this isn't an anniversary many fans have in their diary and it's a bit left field to be honest unlike the WCC ones that have been done.

Also, it looks like a Widnes Football Club kit, who play in the Unibond Alehouses and Police Custody North division.

download.jpeg.f56fc86059d03fe891403ad25d9e424e.jpeg

Finally, the sponsor, a bailiff famous from the TV show Can't Pay? We'll Take it Away is somehow one of the lesser crimes in this whole debacle.

• Haha 1

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

On 06/12/2023 at 20:15, Barley Mow said:

I think Hunslet's kits were put on here a while back when they were released, but I've just noticed they are doing something I haven't seen before.

For an extra £10 you can buy a reversible shirt which is the home kit one way round and the away kit the other.

https://hunsletrlfc.com/store/pre-order-2024-reversible-replica-principal-shirt/

Do any other clubs do this?

Rochdale did a reversable shirt in 2016 which had the away and the third shirt combined. 

PicturePicture