1O,000

2 hours ago, Pulga said:

No, no, no, no, no, P&R works. Or so we're told. If you change anything about P&R you are taking away from the very fabric of the game. 

Id love to know what leigh fans thought about P&R last season…..and what they think about it now.

11 hours ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

I think maybe the lesson we should take from this "advantage" is to do it like that again, seeing as it has demonstrably worked, rather than to dismissively say the club got 'lucky'?

If we want to grow the game, and make clubs sustainable, maybe we could learn some things from the Catalans model. I'd be pretty confident we'd have a much more robust Toulouse this season had they been able to implement a 3-year plan instead of start some expensive yo-yo process, and rugby league would be all the better for it.  

The Catalans club entered the English league which benefited from a broadcast deal.

Over the next dozen years the sport of soccer will have the best players moving to Saudi Arabia. 

Apart from Toulouse,which other club should be allowed 3 years in Super League? -if your friends at IMG can manage to arrive at a new name for Super League, and get a broadcast deal.

Maybe it is going to be another French side.Perhaps they now have a government,local government, council,schools and wealthy individuals who encourage sport.

I don't see the same thing(s) in England. 

It won't benefit the English national side to have a league of French clubs - but as an individual the international game doesn't interest me.

What are your hopes for the next 5years,and 10 years,for rugby league in England?

I am going to France,by the way,but my interest is the whole development of the sport and raising the standards,altogether. 

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

1 minute ago, Angelic Cynic said:

The Catalans club entered the English league which benefited from a broadcast deal.

Over the next dozen years the sport of soccer will have the best players moving to Saudi Arabia. 

Apart from Toulouse,which other club should be allowed 3 years in Super League? -if your friends at IMG can manage to arrive at a new name for Super League, and get a broadcast deal.

Maybe it is going to be another French side.Perhaps they now have a government,local government, council,schools and wealthy individuals who encourage sport.

I don't see the same thing(s) in England. 

It won't benefit the English national side to have a league of French clubs - but as an individual the international game doesn't interest me.

What are your hopes for the next 5years,and 10 years,for rugby league in England?

I am going to France,by the way,but my interest is the whole development of the sport and raising the standards,altogether. 

I've always advocated for a protected league, with new clubs joining when the business case is there. The obvious next team in terms of market growth opportunity is Toulouse, yes. 

It is in English rugby league's interests for the French game to be supported. We need to take care of our own backyard, the international game is what will grow new audiences for RL and we can't rely on the southern hemisphere to help us anymore. The English national side you want to help needs more opponents.

Regardless, it's the sport I love not which country it gets played in. I've no more loyalty to Barrow than Toulouse, just because the former happens to be in England. Both are important, I don't do nationalism. 

• Like 5

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

5 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

Id love to know what leigh fans thought about P&R last season…..and what they think about it now.

It’s part of Sport. 

I don’t know if a Leigh fan who is adverse to P&R. 

Leigh have bounced back. Problem is, some bigger clubs haven’t !

59 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

I've always advocated for a protected league, with new clubs joining when the business case is there. The obvious next team in terms of market growth opportunity is Toulouse, yes. 

It is in English rugby league's interests for the French game to be supported. We need to take care of our own backyard, the international game is what will grow new audiences for RL and we can't rely on the southern hemisphere to help us anymore. The English national side you want to help needs more opponents.

Regardless, it's the sport I love not which country it gets played in. I've no more loyalty to Barrow than Toulouse, just because the former happens to be in England. Both are important, I don't do nationalism. 

At what point does the Sky/TV contract come into play? 

Do French fans in France pay SKY subscriptions ? (Can they?) 

If they don't is this offset by the increased value of having French teams in SL (to SKY customers and/or SKY?)

No agenda here from me and I don't know the answer myself....I wonder what research has or has not been done 

Is there a plan to get another French TV deal and the associated income to the game? 

1 hour ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Also I like all fans want a strong French team for internationals

However the way the French had so many 'injured' players in the last game who miraculously played for their clubs the next week was a disgrace.....and actually makes me doubt that even if they did have a starting 17 to compete on the yearly test would they/could they ever insist they all play and not fake injuries to suit their club

9 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

The club is totally sustainable revenue min of 15 million a year Bernard is the president (Like an elected leader) he doesn't need to put money in that's a myth.

Take away the salary cap and the club would walk it match day VIP shop and bar revenue is around 250K alone and that's before a ticket is even sold.

Which other clubs could say the same/similar ?

1 hour ago, Pen-Y-Bont Crusader said:

Which other clubs could say the same/similar ?

As someone else says Leeds Rhinos for sure.

They have over the years put huge focus on the commercial revenues, e.g. sponsorship and hospitality.  Significantly further increasing that revenue with the new stadium and enhanced commercial facilities.

Benefiting from the increased revenue and widening the attendance to an higher income demographic - particularly of benefit during a difficult economical cost of living period - maybe helping with overall income sustainability.

In addition having Catalan is a great trip for fans here and although maybe not a huge revenue for Catalan certainly makes watching SL more interesting from a keen fan perspective.  WE don't have like some other sports exciting away trips across Europe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, daz39 said:

XIII Catalan left Jean Laffon in 1962 didn't they so i doubt you saw them there 20 years ago.

They played there for several years around 1997 to 2002 I went many times in fact I am certain that John (Webmaster) went to a match there around the year 2001 v Avignon if my old brain serves me correctly:) It was a Monday night TV match.

Edited by ATLANTISMAN

5 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

At what point does the Sky/TV contract come into play? 

Do French fans in France pay SKY subscriptions ? (Can they?) 

If they don't is this offset by the increased value of having French teams in SL (to SKY customers and/or SKY?)

No agenda here from me and I don't know the answer myself....I wonder what research has or has not been done 

Is there a plan to get another French TV deal and the associated income to the game? 

I've seen this point made before, and understand the perspective to an extent, but genuinely think what Sky is buying is content. One or two French clubs, when competitive, contribute equally to the value of that content. 

Sky "sell" a Wigan versus Catalans game to the same people they "sell" Wigan versus Wakefield to, in the UK, and with how Catalans are running at the moment I'm sure the former product is more valuable. Just because a club is based in France doesn't mean it isn't an equal part of value creation for Sky's UK audience. Champions League TV deals aren't predicated on whether Sky can sell subscriptions in Germany. British viewers are buying matches including non-British teams, that's the product. 

Ideally there would be an additional TV deal in France, totally agree. I'd argue that having 2 French clubs long-term may help make that more likely, by improving our sport's profile. I'm not sure the same is true in the UK about whether we have 11 English teams or 10. We still have plenty, from the media company's perspective - that's only a 10% move either way, so marginal, whereas a shift from 1 French club to 2 has a +100% impact.  

• Like 6

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

3 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

My guess would be 

Leeds Rhinos

On the march

Hull KR

Certainly getting better. I couldn't get into the restaurant against Cas which is a first-ever, the mid-level supporters 'Legends Lounge' is sold out for the season and all of the new Exec Boxes in the North Stand are likewise sold for the first time ever. But a couple of things hold Rovers back, firstly even though its now full that's from a low corporate capacity versus Catalans, and secondly because of price point. The value of the corporate dollar in Hull is quite low, because of the nature of the local economy. I could buy a seat in the restaurant for £1,000 per person per season, I'd imagine Catalans charge a lot more than that?  

17 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Certainly getting better. I couldn't get into the restaurant against Cas which is a first-ever, the mid-level supporters 'Legends Lounge' is sold out for the season and all of the new Exec Boxes in the North Stand are likewise sold for the first time ever. But a couple of things hold Rovers back, firstly even though its now full that's from a low corporate capacity versus Catalans, and secondly because of price point. The value of the corporate dollar in Hull is quite low, because of the nature of the local economy. I could buy a seat in the restaurant for £1,000 per person per season, I'd imagine Catalans charge a lot more than that?  

Good to hear it’s improving though. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Take away the salary cap and the club would walk it match day VIP shop and bar revenue is around 250K alone and that's before a ticket is even sold.

And a fantastic place for away fans to go. Terrific atmosphere 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Yes it's around 2500 euros 

2 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Yes it's around 2500 euros 

And I'd imagine more than 120 covers.

Do they sell it by the match as well? I might try it out next time I'm over if so

12 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Around 500 at that price and another 700 at other prices 

PM me i have 6 places at all matches 

Cool, will do that next time, thanks

This is why Rovers need to redevelop the West Stand with more restaurant space (it's next on the list after the 3G pitch we just got planning permission for this week). We can't sell at Catalans prices, but I think Craven Streat shows there is a market for a "more than just a match" food offer at a medium price point so more volume can be achieved.

If we can start winning trophies then we can switch some of the bigger corporate dollar which let's be honest currently prefers the MKM Stadium and Hull FC, which has better lounge & box options. Step by step though.