Sun 20th Aug: The Betfred League One Match Thread

We're in a spell of not playing since our win against Doncaster, but obviously I'll be going to Rochdale to support Oldham and home we cling onto our 6th place! That will be a battle royal I expect!

Winners: Doncaster, Hunslet and Oldham....

For those whove been following our nomadic existence this season, we should be playing at Eirias Park next weekend - as RGC, the union side, will have already played twice on the new pitch. Amazing how it all came together for them to play there first!

• Like 2

On 17/08/2023 at 12:02, gogledd said:

We're in a spell of not playing since our win against Doncaster, but obviously I'll be going to Rochdale to support Oldham and home we cling onto our 6th place! That will be a battle royal I expect!

Winners: Doncaster, Hunslet and Oldham....

For those whove been following our nomadic existence this season, we should be playing at Eirias Park next weekend - as RGC, the union side, will have already played twice on the new pitch. Amazing how it all came together for them to play there first!

So frustrating how the Crusaders have been messed around with grounds.  How have crowds held up?  Any gossip on what might happen next season with the home games?  I live in Aberystwyth in the summer and would like to get to a game some time, but I'm put off by the feeling of chaos and lack of progress to be honest.  It would be great for the sport to see the Crusaders get promoted berfore long and have a Welsh team on the up, helping to break up the small footprint of the sport.

Edited by Hello

21 hours ago, Hello said:

So frustrating how the Crusaders have been messed around with grounds.  How have crowds held up?  Any gossip on what might happen next season with the home games?  I live in Aberystwyth in the summer and would like to get to a game some time, but I'm put off by the feeling of chaos and lack of progress to be honest.  It would be great for the sport to see the Crusaders get promoted berfore long and have a Welsh team on the up, helping to break up the small footprint of the sport.

The talk is that we return to Eirias Park next season and there shouldn't be an issue. The ground is now a 4G rugby standard and is available for both union and league. In theory no matter what games are played there shouldn't be the issues that we've had in the past - for example not being allowed to play prior to the 6 Nations Under 20s games. To be honest, I'll believe it when I see it. 

Of course the nomadic lifestyle has effected our crowds....and matchday income as most of the grounds weve played at, rightly take the bar takings. But its great that we've shown rugby league to places like Llanrwst (Nant Conwy), Rhyl, and Chester and hopefully attracted some new supporters.

Last season (2022) was a cracking year where we showed decent progress in the Challenge Cup and finished 3rd in the League only to lose out in the play-off. Of course we lost our coach and a few players stepped down or moved to other clubs, so this season was a rebuild with the target of getting into the top six. At the moment we are clinging on to that place with Rochdale Hornets close on our heels.

We'd love to welcome you from Aberystwyth - we get fans travelling from all over - a couple of  regulars from Ynys Mon, and some from the North West of England too. 

Lets hope we have a more settled season in 2024 and see North Wales Crusaders back near the top of the table again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 18/08/2023 at 22:10, Hello said:

We’ll be back at Eirias Park next season. Due to all the grief we’ve had this season our landlords have offered us a real cheap deal for next year. Hope you can join us for a few games mate. The railway station is within spitting g distance of the ground and you’ll be made very welcome.

• Thanks 1

Phew, that was close, had me worried for a couple of minutes (oh, alright, hours) but thank you Oldham for saving the Cru's play-off bacon! Rochdale are now 2 points behind us with games against the Skolars at home (wonder what sort of team they'll put on the park for a mid week game oop north?) and away at Cornwall to come and the Cru's last game being Skolars at home. With Rochdale's points difference being -137 and ours +41 we should be safe for the play-offs although I've been watching the game long enough not to count my results until the final hooter blows!!

Edited by Chronicler of Chiswick
Spelling

Back home after an entertaining game at Spotland. Oldham seemed nervous, spilt the ball and passes were lacking accuracy but they still should have been ahead at half time given the chances they had.

Rochdale scored some excellent tries but the one try before half time was the result of some shocking tackling from Oldham.

The clock in the stadium passed 80 mins with Rochdale ahead by two points...but we hadn't accounted for time stoppages by the ref. Incredibly Oldham scored right at the death and won the game to the delight of a good few hundred Roughyeds.....and 4 Cru fans who went along to see if we could hang on to 6th spot.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Skolars at home (wonder what sort of team they'll put on the park for a mid week game oop north?)

They have decided not to come oop north on Wednesday night, so Hornets will finish its season in Cornwall on Sunday.

Well, assuming that our team coach can get there on the Bank Holiday for 1pm.    Will Skolars manage a trip to Wales to finish the season?  Enjoy the play-offs.

https://t.co/kGsNKDtOkr

2 hours ago, glemiln said:

They have decided not to come oop north on Wednesday night, so Hornets will finish its season in Cornwall on Sunday.

Well, assuming that our team coach can get there on the Bank Holiday for 1pm.    Will Skolars manage a trip to Wales to finish the season?  Enjoy the play-offs.

Just seen that.

Who in their right mind at th RFL decided that a barely semi-pro side should have to play a mid-week game 200 miles away.

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

58 minutes ago, The 4 of Us said:

Just seen that.

Who in their right mind at th RFL decided that a barely semi-pro side should have to play a mid-week game 200 miles away.

I don't think there was any other choice. Once it was originally postponed, the only ordinarily free weekend was the challenge cup weekend, but Skolars always move one of their other fixtures to that week to attract people going to the cup final to their 'friday night lights' match.

The coming weekend is the last regular round in League 1 and then they are straight into the play-offs.

Until yesterday Rochdale had a real chance of making the play-offs (they still have a very long odds chance), so it couldn't have been organised for during the play-offs.

So midweek was the only thing available.

Edited by Barley Mow

17 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

I don't think there was any other choice. Once it was originally postponed, the only ordinarily free weekend was the challenge cup weekend, but Skolars always move one of their other fixtures to that week to attract people going to the cup final to their 'friday night lights' match.

The coming weekend is the last regular round in League 1 and then they are straight into the play-offs.

Until yesterday Rochdale had a real chance of making the play-offs (they still have a very long odds chance), so it couldn't have been organised for during the play-offs.

So midweek was the only thing available.

If the RFL award Hornets the game 48 - 0 they'd still be on -89 to Crusaders +41 going into the last game - very long odds indeed!

2 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

Unless, of course Skolars beat Crusaders 😉

Theres always that permutation to add into the mix. If we draw Hornets would have to beat Cornwall by over 130 points. I think if we win were in 6th....finger are crossed, squeeky bottom time!

3 hours ago, glemiln said:

What a shock. Integrity of the league and all that. Should be booted out end of.

1 hour ago, The 4 of Us said:

Just seen that.

I dunno but regardless it's a poor show not to fullfill a fixture in league 1. All doesn't seem well and I would guess that Skolars will have a long hard think in this off season if they can continue in league 1. It would be a huge shame but indicative of the challenges faced by clubs outside the heartlands 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SUPERSTUD said:

What a shock. Integrity of the league and all that. Should be booted out end of.

Expecting a side to play 3 games in a week, all of them involving 400 mile round trips is ridiculous. Can't believe the RFL would expect a club just off the M62 to do that these days, with their focus on player welfare.

Expecting Rochdale to play Oldham at home on Sunday, Skolars at home on Wednesday and then travel down to Cornwall for Sunday is a mighty ask as well. 

Integrity went out of the window 2 years ago when Barrow and Workington managed to avoid re-arranging their game thus not risking either of their win percentages.

• Like 2