Where would a second NZ team play?

Seeing lots of people in favour of the NRL admitting a second NZ team. But there seems to be a shortage of detail on any official bids. Is there genuine interest and more specifically where would they play and what would they be called?

Christchurch in the new Te Kaha Stadium is one option if so, would they be called Christchurch? Canterbury? Southern or South Island?

Would Wellington be a good place for an NRL team? Auckland has nearly 2 million people in the city which is more than enough for a second NRL team, how about that?

Christchurch is the obvious option to me, at Rugby League Park no less. Largest population outside of Auckland, South Island based. 

Wellington a fair way behind as an ideal option, plus I think the Phoenix have a decent chunk of the non RU crowd and money there already.

Auckland 2, or Hamilton, might work, but I feel it would be a wasted opportunity. That said I can see derby matches between any of the NZ2 options and the Warriors being held at Eden Park.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

Seeing lots of people in favour of the NRL admitting a second NZ team. But there seems to be a shortage of detail on any official bids. Is there genuine interest and more specifically where would they play and what would they be called?

Christchurch in the new Te Kaha Stadium is one option if so, would they be called Christchurch? Canterbury? Southern or South Island?

Would Wellington be a good place for an NRL team? Auckland has nearly 2 million people in the city which is more than enough for a second NRL team, how about that?

Ideally and logically it would have to be Christchurch as it instantly gives you that north v South Island rivalry. Plus Christchurch/Canterbury has a big rivalry with Auckland.

christchurch is also a sports mad city compared to wellington and the caketin stadium is awful for RL.

• Like 3

I hear people interested in a PNG team based out of Cairns, so maybe there?

In seriousness, it has to be Canterbury. Any other location is incomparable.

There isn’t a need for a second team in Auckland. There is no disdain for the Warriors in Auckland as we are said there is for the Broncos in Brisbane. Why dilute a city which is really getting behind their team?

• Like 1

As a New Zealander I have my doubts about a second NRL team, it is hard enough attracting and retaining talent in Auckland, let alone one of the provincial centers. That being said, if a second NRL team does happen, Christchurch is the obvious answer as it will immediately get the entire South Island onboard.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, The Daddy said:

I thought we were dispensing with place names now. Call them the Alligators and you don't anchor them to one location and you can have them play at 18 different stadiums.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, frank said:

Would have to be CH CH. Great league support (in the past)for big games  and  a NRL team there would be well supported.

Christchurch bulls or the South Island bulls.

canterbury bulls wouldn’t work because of the Canterbury bulldogs.

7 hours ago, Havenlad80 said:

Christchurch bulls or the South Island bulls.

canterbury bulls wouldn’t work because of the Canterbury bulldogs.

Just call them the Canterbury Bulldogs - having two teams in the competition with the same name would be something worth marketing. 

At one point the Canadian Football League had both the Ottawa Rough Riders and the Saskatchewan Roughriders in a 9-team competition.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, eal said:

Just call them the Canterbury Bulldogs - having two teams in the competition with the same name would be something worth marketing. 

At one point the Canadian Football League had both the Ottawa Rough Riders and the Saskatchewan Roughriders in a 9-team competition.

Too messy.

christchurch bulls or South Island bulls works better.

12 hours ago, eal said:

And that didnt end well did it.

Who wouldn’t want to see NRL here https://ccc.govt.nz/the-council/future-projects/major-facilities/canterbury-arena/project-overview

If a second NZ team retained the South Island or Southern tag, they would likely have the hearts of Wellington as well as Christchurch, and could play games in either, as well as Dunedin with most in the new stadium.

The Wahs (Auckland or not) would then have the run of the north, and have any secondary matches at Hamilton and Napier if needed.

I suspect the NZ timeslot 2 hours ahead and opportunity for an additional game ahead of Sydney and Brisbane markets may be attractive as far as new TV deals are concerned, and of course means there is an additional game each week with 18 teams.

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

Christchurch with some one off on the roads games in Wellington.

North Island/Te Ika e Māui- NZ Warriors

South Island/Te Waipounamu - NZ (Insert appropriate moniker)

Add Perth/Adelaide (yes)/extra Qld club.

21 clubs, three sections-Qld invitation/Sydney City/ANZAC trophies-12 games

One off round robin of teams in other sections-14 games

Plays off and Grand Final.💣😆💣

Edited by idrewthehaggis

5 hours ago, The 4 of Us said:

Who wouldn’t want to see NRL here https://ccc.govt.nz/the-council/future-projects/major-facilities/canterbury-arena/project-overview

If a second NZ team retained the South Island or Southern tag, they would likely have the hearts of Wellington as well as Christchurch, and could play games in either, as well as Dunedin with most in the new stadium.

The Wahs (Auckland or not) would then have the run of the north, and have any secondary matches at Hamilton and Napier if needed.

I suspect the NZ timeslot 2 hours ahead and opportunity for an additional game ahead of Sydney and Brisbane markets may be attractive as far as new TV deals are concerned, and of course means there is an additional game each week with 18 teams.

The warriors would surely have to and hopefully would revert back to being known as the Auckland warriors?

• Like 2