Match thread: Championship Rd 24. Bradford v Featherstone Rovers. Sunday 3rd September 2023.

marklaspalmas

Just four league fixtures left now (won 21 lost 2) and a big test coming up at Odslum against a team who are certainly looking for a home "quarter final" into first round of the playoffs.

In terms of players, it was one step forward (Jono Ford managed 40 minutes and seemed to come through ok) but possibly two steps back as Adz Hau (head knock) and Luke Briscoe (ankle) had to come off.

With Springer, Wildie, Hall, Longstaff and Lacans all available, plus talk that Yei, Day and Bussey could be back soon, competition for places will be as high as ever.

The results of the next four matches hardly matter at all, but good, positive performances and the momentum generated from that will be vital come the playoffs.

Up The Rovers. 

• Like 3

It’s been 1604 days since the Bradford Bulls last defeated Featherstone Rovers. Lee Greenwood says this week presents a tough challenge for his side but firmly believes if his players perform to their ability and are at their best, then they will be rewarded with a good result.

The Bulls have been pretty inconsistent, but in some good performances, with some shockers, like against Barrow. However, they are sure to be motivated on Sunday and this looks like a really tough task. A couple of injuries, but we’ve got more than enough strength in depth, for this not to be an issue. Think it’s important that we make a good fast start.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

The results of the next four matches hardly matter at all, but good, positive performances and the momentum generated from that will be vital come the playoffs.

I'd normally fancy us to beat Bradford at their place, because the narrow pitch favours a power game and we've had the better of that against most opponents this year. Bit of a different vibe to this game though. We're still feeling our way under a new coach, with one half back recently returned to the club and another just returning from injury.

More importantly, as MLP says, the next 4 games are essentially dead rubbers for us, in terms of the outcome at least, whereas this is a massive match for Bradford. They desperately need points to ensure a top 4 finish and a home game in the first round of the play-offs. I'm sure they will see this as a big opportunity, with us looking a bit srcatchy at the moment, likely to be missing one or two key players, and that extra bit of intensity might be missing from us now until the play-offs.

Still, as Mark says, it would be nice to build in the right direction for the play-offs, and of course a win would officially seal the league leaders' shield (do they still present something for that or is it going to have to be a Widnes away-style home-made celebration?).

Interesting to see that it was Chisholm, not Aekins, who made way for Ford at half time, and that Aekins once again started on the right hand side. I did think that if Chisholm was his preferred partner for Ford it made sense to play him on the right hand side, because Ford has spent all his career on the left.

Edited by The Phantom Horseman
  • Like 1

I see this game as a stern test unless rovers put in a good performance as there has been some woeful performances against some teams with no chance of super league. Play well with a half decent ref at hostile bradford and it’s in the bag but not by a big margin. No injuries dropped balls or yellow cards please.

Rovers need to lay a marker also to get the league leaders which i think they will do i know there is an element of both sides not as good as they think they are but Bradford are the worst third placed team at this stage in many years in this old mans view.

No injuries must be the main thing plenty to play for in the next 8 weeks

Be interesting to see the team line up. I would like to see Davies and Moors starting with Springer back. Hall on the wing. My team would be: Kheiralla, Hall, Hankinson, Leilua, Gale, Ford, Chisholm, Springer, Jones, Kopczak,  Davies, Moors, Taylor.   Bench from: Lockwood, Cozza, Smith, Aekins and Wildie.. 

36 minutes ago, Normy_Rover said:

Hopefully the alleged incident involving Mark Campbell doesn't have a negative effect on the playing and coaching staff.  Hard to see it not though..

It doesn't rain at Fev it pours ,what next.

11 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

I think we should concentrate on the Rugby until the end of season.The players are good enough it's up to them and the coaches to finish the job.

I agree 👍, let whatevers happened leave  it for the Police and Mark to sort out. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

I think we should concentrate on the Rugby until the end of season.The players are good enough it's up to them and the coaches to finish the job.

Good enough, just nowhere near as good as the last 2 promoted teams, which leaves possibilities for Toulouse, Sheffield and maybe even Bradford . We’ll wrap a ribbon around a measuring wheel for Fordy on Sunday. It’s amazing Odsal still lives in his head after  his experiences there with York !

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, TrueBull said:

Good enough, just nowhere near as good as the last 2 promoted teams, which leaves possibilities for Toulouse, Sheffield and maybe even Bradford . We’ll wrap a ribbon around a measuring wheel for Fordy on Sunday. It’s amazing Odsal still lives in his head after  his experiences there with York !

How many times have Bulls been good enough since getting relegated?

1 hour ago, Bulls2487 said:

The one year in 2015. 

How many times have Fev bottled promotion?

We've been good enough to get to two championship grand finals when promotion was on the table and four others when it wasn't, winning one. I can't remember Bradfud getting to any.

• Haha 3

"Out of the way,son. Where's my medal?" Alex Murphy's immortal words as David Hobbs scores his 2nd try in the '83 Cup Final!

22 minutes ago, POR said:

Bradford Bulls CEO Jason Hirst says that the club currently have their best chance of a return to Super League in 8 years 

They are much better than previous seasons and given that the top 2 have been unconvincing at times, what he says is true. Let’s see how Sunday goes.

52 minutes ago, Daft old hooker said:

I think Sunday will be a tough fixture and we will have to be better than last weekend. I think we will have a better idea of where Bradford are after the weekend.

If we  play like we did at Sheffield we will win.How many Bradford players would make us a better team about 3 at the most. i have said before the players are good enough Its just putting a joined up performance together which we have only done about 4 times this season.

• Like 1