Quickfire Q & A - Put your questions to York Valkyrie star Kelsey Gentles

Up next in the Rugby League World Quickfire Q&A hot seat is York Valkyrie star, TV pundit and new mum Kelsey Gentles.

Leave us your questions below or email them to quickfire@totalrl.com and we'll publish the best in our next issue!

spacer.png

Rugby League World magazine is published every month, available on print subscription (worldwide) and online for desktop, tablet and smartphone
Follow us on Twitter/X @rlworld / Instagram @rlworld / Threads @rlworld
Like us on Facebook - facebook.com/rugbyleagueworld

I think most of the people on TRL are middle-aged blokes, so we have absolutely no idea how the physical changes involved in becoming a mother impact on playing sport in general and Rugby League in particular. Could you talk about your own challenges as you were coming back to action?

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Here’s one: 

Women’s Rugby League is way better than their Football and RU equivalents., not my opinion, it’s a fact 😉

So I’d like to ask if the girls feel slightly frustrated by the mainstream media and it’s sidelining of Women’s RL, as compared to other sports. Do they feel they get a fair deal? (Pro rata)

And before someone points out that women’s football is popular, this wasn’t always the case and it got a huge push. 

What would you say to encourage girls to take up rugby league - as opposed to the other sporting options now available to them?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

If we want the women's game to grow is it time we stopped telling potential international players they should move to one of the top 3 teams to enhance their prospects, thereby weakening every other team apart from the self serving top 3 clubs thereby allowing other teams to keep their best players and make the playing field more fair and equal?

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, daz39 said:

If we want the women's game to grow is it time we stopped telling potential international players they should move to one of the top 3 teams to enhance their prospects, thereby weakening every other team apart from the self serving top 3 clubs thereby allowing other teams to keep their best players and make the playing field more fair and equal?

Thats a very good question in its own right. Its a conundrum because ideally you want talent to be spread out through the league but at this stage its very much a similar situation to when Wigan went full time back in the 80's. As a player you want to be at the very top and that means having the best training, facilities, and coaches and at this point most teams can't compete with the top 2 or 3 teams in that respect. Its a reality your team will face this winter as players like Brown, Naidole etc get chased by those elite clubs. It would be really interesting to hear Kelsey's view on this.

2 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Thats a very good question in its own right. Its a conundrum because ideally you want talent to be spread out through the league but at this stage its very much a similar situation to when Wigan went full time back in the 80's. As a player you want to be at the very top and that means having the best training, facilities, and coaches and at this point most teams can't compete with the top 2 or 3 teams in that respect. Its a reality your team will face this winter as players like Brown, Naidole etc get chased by those elite clubs. It would be really interesting to hear Kelsey's view on this.

Indeed, i've had 1st hand views from members of our setup who have all confirmed this 'persuading' does happen and has happened to us on a couple fo occasions already, but as long as the top 2/3 clubs are happy with going round battering everyone else then why would they want it to change?

Anyway that's all for a different topic at a different time.

I had a conversation the other week and one of the things being suggested/rumoured for the women's SL is an American style roster system whereby each team are allocated 3/4 of the international players meaning the top talent is spread out.

I'd like to know what Kelsey's view on this would be if it happened.

I saw comments on Facebook but just wondered what your overall view is on the RFL moving the age limit of the Ladies open age from 16 to 17 potentially leaving a number of Year 12 girls that are too old for junior rugby but not old enough to play open age. With many teams even at Championship and above levels struggling to raise teams week in week out this decision seems ludicrous.