The law.. What if..?

Bearman

An attacker attempts a drop kick at goal.

The ball hits an upright and then goes over the crossbar and completes the one pointer.

BUT, an ON side team mate who us following up catches the ball and touches it down in goal.

Is the 1 point given or is it a try or even both?

I know it's very unlikely and I am sure someone will know the answer ?

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

2 hours ago, Bearman said:

An attacker attempts a drop kick at goal.

The ball hits an upright and then goes over the crossbar and completes the one pointer.

BUT, an ON side team mate who us following up catches the ball and touches it down in goal.

Is the 1 point given or is it a try or even both?

I know it's very unlikely and I am sure someone will know the answer ?

You've almost described the Jack Welsby winning try at the 2020 Grand Final!

Only difference is the ball bounced out and back over the crossbar!

Edited by Chris22
  • Like 1

Just like when a ball's touched down and let go. A defender could then bat it out of play, or run the length of the field and touch down, but once the points have been scored, that's it.

I did once know a very mad Scotsman who saw a goal scored in Football, where the ball came out again and was slammed back into the net by a celebrating player, and he asked me if that counted as another goal.

But, as I said, he was seriously nuts.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Haha 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

8 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Just like when a ball's touched down and let go. A defender could then bat it out of play, or run the length of the field and touch down, but once the points have been scored, that's it.

I did once know a very mad Scotsman who saw a goal scored in Football, where the ball came out again and was slammed back into the net by a celebrating player, and he asked me if that counted as another goal.

But, as I said, he was seriously nuts.

If he was Scottish I assume he was drunk so it's unfair to say he was nuts ....xenophobic even 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

That would be the same then if a team got to the end of their set and the kicker just put a big kick in on the last play and it accidentally went over the crossbar? 

If it were a drop kick, yes.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

22 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

That would be the same then if a team got to the end of their set and the kicker just put a big kick in on the last play and it accidentally went over the crossbar? 

No if it stayed in play that would be play on. 

Is a 3 point drop goal a thing?  If a player is fouled while he executes a successful drop goal, can the ref give the drop goal and a penalty the same as an 8 point try?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, bobbruce said:

No if it stayed in play that would be play on. 

If you think about the two kinds of kick in this situation what you say is a fundemental result of the technique isn't it? What I mean by that of course is the angle and power you put into a drop kick, it is very unlikely to stay in play whether it goes over the bar or not whereas a big spiral bomb or something, high up in the air from, say, 20 metres out, your intention is to land it somewhere close to the try line so there's a good chance it might pass over the bar and stay in play, but then again if that bounced and went out of play after crossing the bar, that would then be a score? 

Edited by The Hallucinating Goose

I was reading in one of Tony Collins' books that prior to the proper codification of the rules Hull FC had a bylaw on their books that a player couldn't stand on the crossbar to prevent a goal going over. 

• Haha 1

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

Is a 3 point drop goal a thing?  If a player is fouled while he executes a successful drop goal, can the ref give the drop goal and a penalty the same as an 8 point try?

Yes.  I've seen one.  Frank Tickle was the referee.

I've asked around and nobody's even heard of someone who's heard about another one being given.

Rarest event in Rugby League.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

If you think about the two kinds of kick in this situation what you say is a fundemental result of the technique isn't it? What I mean by that of course is the angle and power you put into a drop kick, it is very unlikely to stay in play whether it goes over the bar or not whereas a big spiral bomb or something, high up in the air from, say, 20 metres out, your intention is to land it somewhere close to the try line so there's a good chance it might pass over the bar and stay in play, but then again if that bounced and went out of play after crossing the bar, that would then be a score? 

Jeez - I didn't understand that.

If it's not a drop kick, you can't score a drop goal.

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

If it was under the posts, I wonder if a referee would give a penalty and disallow the drop goal, as the greater advantage may be an opportunity at two points, rather than one? Or maybe even give the attacking team a choice?

4 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I suppose it will be determined by the wording of the law. Does it say fouled in the act of scoring or does it specify in the act of scoring a try. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

I suppose it will be determined by the wording of the law. Does it say fouled in the act of scoring or does it specify in the act of scoring a try. 

It states for both the try and the drop kick.

Drop Goal Foul Play on Kicker 10. (a) If a player fouls an opponent who is attempting a drop goal, a penalty kick shall be awarded in front of the goal posts.

Laws of the Game (rugby-league.com)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

A drop kick is the only in open play scoring kick I think there used to be a field goal where players could kick a ball that was on the ground through the uprights and score. That doesn’t exist anymore though. 

12 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Yeah, I didn't explain that particularly well. Let me break it down. 

What constitutes a drop kick? 

From the international laws of the game.

A drop kick is a kick whereby the ball is dropped from the hands (or hand) and is kicked immediately it rebounds from the ground.

54 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

It states for both the try and the drop kick.

Drop Goal Foul Play on Kicker 10. (a) If a player fouls an opponent who is attempting a drop goal, a penalty kick shall be awarded in front of the goal posts.

Laws of the Game (rugby-league.com)

It doesn’t specify whether you get the point or not as well there. It does make that clear in the try scoring one though.