Featherstone Rovers 2024 Squad

marklaspalmas

Latest rumour on the York forum

Heard at least 1 coming from Fev 

The one to York I heard would make sense as he has a good job outside RL and does not want to be FT.

I won't name any names but he broke his leg at York this season

Mr B! He'd do for me! 

2 minutes ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

It will be interesting to see what happens now with recruitment and retentions. Which players are realistic retentions within our reduced budgets.

I think 50% of the squad will be turned over 

players like Gale and hardy if he can return to fitness I can’t see leaving 

Wildie will Probaly take over as club captain 

I’d like to see springer, bussey, Davies, day, cozza all retained 

I’d also like lacans aswell he seems like the guy we could build a club around 

mid season signings of smith, Chizzy and longstaff are they all contracted for next year ?

3 minutes ago, Rovers fev said:

I think 50% of the squad will be turned over 

players like Gale and hardy if he can return to fitness I can’t see leaving 

Wildie will Probaly take over as club captain 

I’d like to see springer, bussey, Davies, day, cozza all retained 

I’d also like lacans aswell he seems like the guy we could build a club around 

mid season signings of smith, Chizzy and longstaff are they all contracted for next year ?

I agree with the above, but would probably let Day go, steady player, but didn’t do enough for me. 

I'd look at retaining the following (out of people that aren't already leaving / retiring) MK, Gale, , Leilua, Hankinson, Aekins, Lacans, Jones, Bussey, Day, Springer, Yei, Davies, Cozza, Hardcastle (if he can play). All obviously taking finances into account, there's no point breaking the bank. The rest can be shown the door for me.

Edited by Michael Bates

11 minutes ago, Michael Bates said:

I'd look at retaining the following (out of people that aren't already leaving / retiring) MK, Gale, , Leilua, Hankinson, Aekins, Lacans, Jones, Bussey, Day, Springer, Yei, Davies, Cozza, Hardcastle (if he can play). All obviously taking finances into account, there's no point breaking the bank. The rest can be shown the door for me.

Doubt we can afford either, but surely not much point in keeping Aekins and MK for next season?.  I’d have also thought that the likes of Leilua, Hankinson, MK, and Aekins might be a bit too expensive for us now.

• Like 1

Just now, Monkeymagic22 said:

Doubt we can afford either, but surely not much point in keeping Aekins and MK for next season?.  I’d have also thought that the likes of Leilua, Hankinson, MK, and Aekins might be a bit too expensive for us now.

Probably fair, but the players themselves will have to re-think their financial situations. If we're not paying them what they got this year, where else will they go? Not good enough for Super League and unlikely to get the same money anywhere else.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Michael Bates said:

Probably fair, but the players themselves will have to re-think their financial situations. If we're not paying them what they got this year, where else will they go? Not good enough for Super League and unlikely to get the same money anywhere else.

And except for the likely promoted team, there’s few other options open at this stage. 

Leilua for me is a no, paid big bucks for 1 bump off a game, hankinson and aekins I would love to keep but there luxury players who you can have in your team because  you afford them having them 2 on our books could be the difference between a 20 and a 25 man squad 

• Thanks 1

I did my budget on a 23 man squad.After next season (memberships already sold will help)total players budget is not likely to be more than £550k that works out at slightly short of £24k per player.So players on £50/£60k plus will be out of our budget.I don't think any team should pay more than 75% of their total income on players wages.So we would need an income of £700k which may be difficult due to cut in central funding and drop in paying supporters with nothing tangible to play for.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Michael Bates said:

Think both Wakefield and Cas will be looking on with interest (maybe even some of the more affluent current Championship teams), the likes of Aekins, Hankinson, Jones, Springer, Cozza would all not be out of place in their squads.

Depends on what we are in a position to offer. In financial terms there are so many unknowns - we don't know each player's salary, we don't have much idea of which players are contracted beyond this year, we don't know the club's current balance sheet, we don't know how we're looking in terms of sponsorship for next season, so it's guesswork at this stage to try and speculate who we might be able to hang on to.

Trying to put some sort of positive slant on things (and God knows it's hard at the moment)...I wouldn't mind if we managed to re-adopt our traditional underdog status in some way. The most enjoyable wins are the ones where you weren't expected to win, and going into nearly every game this season knowing it would be seen as a massive shock if we lost sucked some of the fun out of things for me, especially when the outcome of the season all comes down to 1 or 2 games in October.

• Like 2

This thread gave me the biggest laugh🤣

Starts off been linked to loads of current super players.. 

Then you get to sunday

And it's fear who's gonna be leaving 

Message to Campbell 

Clear out the high rollers, get in grafters for the shirt, and accept your never going to super league. 

And build a team and not try to buy one

And get rid of James Ford 🤔

8 minutes ago, coolie said:

Then you get to sunday

Message to Campbell 

Clear out the high rollers, get in grafters for the shirt, and accept your never going to super league. 

And get rid of James Ford 

Edited by lingaro

52 minutes ago, coolie said:

Then you get to sunday

Message to Campbell 

And get rid of James Ford 🤔

Not to buy one ? A bit like Leigh maybe ? What team hasn't tried to buy their way into SL ? How else do you do it?  A few questions for you to answer if yer not to busy lol,and iam not disagreeing with other bits you put.

21 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Confirmed by the club.

He's had a terrific career. Sad that injuries restricted his appearances with us but he still showed a fair amount of class when he did play.

Can't argue with that. Did have a kind of feel on Sunday that we were watching a player whose rugby brain was still sharp but his legs less so, probably a driver behind his decision.

I suspect we'll see a fair few retirements out of the squad of 2023. Best wishes to them all.

Edited by gazza77
Wrong day!

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

Just now, gazza77 said:

Duplicate post.

Edited by gazza77

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

I feel the squad must change considerably as the few top players we have eg hankinson will most likely depart and the home crowds next season may be far lower than this baring the likes of bradford and wakey matches following the failure of not reaching super league again.

For me super league for fev is dead and buried with any successful future dependent upon the success or failure of img the later most likely. Let’s face it the game is on it’s a…se and has been getting worse every year so progression looks null and void only way forward is backwards to the way things used to be.

If you still want to watch rugby mainly as a sport instead of a business then it’s amateur level you need to watch.