Wakeys new owner speaks

36 minutes ago, meast said:

Talking to a mate who is a wakey fan, poor lad, he is extremely sceptical about this guy, his words were something along the lines of there's always a worry when people TALK about what they're going to do, what will happen rather than it actually happening.

I'm not saying this fella won't be true to his word, but there's an awful lot of talk about how much money he's got and what he's going to do and what Wakefield will do etc.

Do you want a new owner who says "things are alright, I'm planning on just making a few tweaks" after you've been relegated following many decades' of mediocrity both on and off the field? That's a proper rugby league fans response I reckon. 

I get the pessimism, I mean if they were one of life's optimists they'd have left Wakefield for better things years ago (🤣🤣🤣), but it seems the Ellis family are locals who have got far more money than is needed to do the things he's talking about. Their business hasn't become successful by talking about stuff and then not doing it. Exciting times ahead.   

• Like 9

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

26 minutes ago, meast said:

Talking to a mate who is a wakey fan, poor lad, he is extremely sceptical about this guy, his words were something along the lines of there's always a worry when people TALK about what they're going to do, what will happen rather than it actually happening.

I'm not saying this fella won't be true to his word, but there's an awful lot of talk about how much money he's got and what he's going to do and what Wakefield will do etc.

I think it’s just part of promoting the club, especially after relegation and being known for its shoestring budget for so long.  

Talk about what you’re wanting to do, encourage fans, sell season tickets, attract sponsors/players, retain players, promote the club and get people talking again. I don’t mind it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, Simon Hall said:

Under promise & over deliver then you won't upset anyone.

This new Wakefield bloke is promising the earth and if for any reason something doesn't happen, he's going to have people on his back.

Although if you've ever ordered a kitchen that's exactly what the salesmen are like so it's obviously in his nature.

Under promise and nobody will be interested or turn up to watch. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Curly perm said:

Under promise and nobody will be interested or turn up to watch. 

Precisely this. Looking at their accounts they make 10x what Neil Hudgell's business makes each year, and he's managed to fund Rovers into a top 4 club.

They can still mess things up even with money - look at Warrington! - but I don't think it's very likely they're doing this to then not follow through with their growth plans. It's not like they need the hassle otherwise eh. 

• Like 2

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

57 minutes ago, Simon Hall said:

This new Wakefield bloke is promising the earth and if for any reason something doesn't happen, he's going to have people on his back.

Although if you've ever ordered a kitchen that's exactly what the salesmen are like so it's obviously in his nature.

That's my pal's concerns, that he's talking about what he's going to deliver, talking about what he's going to do, he maybe naturally cynical mind, but I guess there's always an element of cynicism when people go around promising stuff?

30 minutes ago, Curly perm said:

I think it’s just part of promoting the club, especially after relegation and being known for its shoestring budget for so long.  

Talk about what you’re wanting to do, encourage fans, sell season tickets, attract sponsors/players, retain players, promote the club and get people talking again. I don’t mind it. 

I get all that, I agree with my mate though, maybe wait until you've actually taken over the club and out things into action before you brag about things?

It COULD end up very badly, something my mate is concerned about, but it's good for the sport right? Don't worry about what could be the end game, it's good for the game?

34 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Do you want a new owner who says "things are alright, I'm planning on just making a few tweaks" after you've been relegated following many decades' of mediocrity both on and off the field? That's a proper rugby league fans response I reckon. 

I get the pessimism, I mean if they were one of life's optimists they'd have left Wakefield for better things years ago (🤣🤣🤣), but it seems the Ellis family are locals who have got far more money than is needed to do the things he's talking about. Their business hasn't become successful by talking about stuff and then not doing it. Exciting times ahead.   

It doesn't affect me, it's not my club, he's not my new owner, I was relaying concerns of a friend who is a Wakefield fan.

Exciting times indeed, another new dawn?, another saviour for the sport, along with Koukash, Toronto Wolfpack, Newcastle Thunder etc? 

42 minutes ago, meast said:

It doesn't affect me, it's not my club, he's not my new owner, I was relaying concerns of a friend who is a Wakefield fan.

Exciting times indeed, another new dawn?, another saviour for the sport, along with Koukash, Toronto Wolfpack, Newcastle Thunder etc? 

Yeah I know

If all you ever remember are the failures, you'll never have the energy to be successful. It's all about what you do next. Rugby league fans love to wallow in what hasn't worked, and use it as a reason to be negative about the future, it's why rugby union is a global sport with millions attending its World Cup, whilst most of our league is made up of small town sides, in economically failing towns at that.

I'll pose the alternative hypothesis: What would Huddersfield be like without Ken Davy? With the size of your fan base probably in the bottom half of the Championship. I'm glad Wakefield now have a shot at competing.  

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Yeah I know

If all you ever remember are the failures, you'll never have the energy to be successful. It's all about what you do next. Rugby league fans love to wallow in what hasn't worked, and use it as a reason to be negative about the future, it's why rugby union is a global sport with millions attending its World Cup, whilst most of our league is made up of small town sides, in economically failing towns at that.

I'll pose the alternative hypothesis: What would Huddersfield be like without Ken Davy? With the size of your fan base probably in the bottom half of the Championship. I'm glad Wakefield now have a shot at competing. 

Another dig at Huddersfield's crowds in a thread that's nothing to do with Huddersfield 😴 standard.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, meast said:

I'm not saying this fella won't be true to his word, but there's an awful lot of talk about how much money he's got and what he's going to do and what Wakefield will  

Tell your mate not to worry 

Up the Trin 

Edited by WakefieldCityLoyal
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Simon Hall said:

I hope kitchen builders run rugby clubs better than a double glazing salesman did.

1 hour ago, meast said:

Another dig at Huddersfield's crowds in a thread that's nothing to do with Huddersfield 😴 standard.

Nope, that’s your projection. The point was a very specific one. Your club’s status is inorganic and rests solely on the the goodwill of one man, so you’ve experienced very directly how investment without any expectation of return does actually happen in rugby league, and does bring positive consequences.

Huddersfield is a case study for optimism for Wakefield’s similar future. 

1 hour ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Nope, that’s your projection. The point was a very specific one. Your club’s status is inorganic and rests solely on the the goodwill of one man, so you’ve experienced very directly how investment without any expectation of return does actually happen in rugby league, and does bring positive consequences.

Huddersfield is a case study for optimism for Wakefield’s similar future. 

What would you say is positive about the Huddersfield situation?

It's a dead man walking.

It's not a success, or a model for how a club should be run.

10 hours ago, Simon Hall said:

Maybe he is under promising and maybe he will over deliver. 😉

To me he doesn't appear to be promising the earth, just a very pragmatic set of plans, assuming his intentions and willingness to "invest" is genuine.

And don't assume all Wakey fans are getting carried away. Yes, there is a palpable sense of optimism and whilst I don't think many are as gloomy as Meast's friend (though maybe I'd be gloomy if Meast was my friend*) I think there is an undercurrent of cynicism until the takeover is actually official and things start actually happening.

*just kidding!!

Edited by north yorks trinity
Highlighting relevant part of quote
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Simon Hall said:

Let's say he achieves what he aims for and Wakey become a top six club and maybe some years are battling it out for top spot and some years battling it out for 6th. Surely no one would be on his back then. Just ask 6th place Warrington. It's been all smiles all year!

Of course he's going to have people on his back. It goes with the territory. I just hope and trust he's sensible enough to know this already.

2 hours ago, dboy said:

What would you say is positive about the Huddersfield situation?

It's a dead man walking.

It's not a success, or a model for how a club should be run.

It’s better than being Bramley, which is the likely alternative 

On 04/10/2023 at 16:31, Agbrigg said:

Harry old lad, nothing is more boring than watching you team remain scoreless for a multitude of games. I'll take one sided cricket score wins everyday of the week.

After all it will only be for a season, then move on to try a rattle the big boys.

I remember a Bradford supporting friend of mine saying that almost verbatim when they got relegated. 

On 06/10/2023 at 07:52, The Masked Poster said:

And yet you have a dig at Newcastle, who as far as I remember never promised the earth and actually are developing local players? Yeah seems reasonable. 

Point out where I've had a dig at Newcastle, or their crowds? Cheers.

What I have done in the past is take posters to task who  big up clubs like Newcastle believing them to be the saviours of the game, when there is little evidence to suggest that this ever going to be likely.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, meast said:

Point out where I've had a dig at Newcastle, or their crowds? Cheers.

What I have done in the past is take posters to task who  big up clubs like Newcastle believing them to be the saviours of the game, when there is little evidence to suggest that this ever going to be likely.

On 05/10/2023 at 13:42, meast said:

How about here? Not sure they ever claimed to be saviours of RL. 

3 hours ago, RigbyLuger said:

These i's to be dotted and t's crossed are taking some time...

That and moving a tree trunk off Hadrian's Wall do appear to be dragging on a bit.

• Like 1

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son