Wakeys new owner speaks

Well I will be the first to say jobs for the boys! Steve Mills background is as a analyst. Individual player match day stats etc. I will stand corrected but I do not believe he has any previous salary cap recruitment type credentials. Believe me DP will have the say on this. Four year contracts for both DP and SM are frightening. I would have allocated two years with a further two years in club favour. IMHO DP was not in a massive stronghold bargaining position after his Warrington debacle. He will baffle Ellis and get his own men in. Crowther physio on his way. Did not follow him to Wire because too far to travel from Kippax. I expect Sheridan and Shenton to be announced next. This new era is going to be very interesting.

4 minutes ago, SUPERSTUD said:

Well I will be the first to say jobs for the boys! Steve Mills background is as an analyst. Individual player match day stats etc. I will stand corrected but I do not believe he has any previous salary cap recruitment type credentials. Believe me DP will have the say on this. Four year contracts for both DP and SM are frightening. I would have allocated two years with a further two years in club favour. IMHO DP was not in a massive stronghold bargaining position after his Warrington debacle. He will baffle Ellis and get his own men in. Crowther physio on his way. Did not follow him to Wire because too far to travel from Kippax. I expect Sheridan and Shenton to be announced next. This new era is going to be very interesting.

C@s wildcats 😉🤣

1 hour ago, SUPERSTUD said:

Well I will be the first to say jobs for the boys! Steve Mills background is as a analyst. Individual player match day stats etc. I will stand corrected but I do not believe he has any previous salary cap recruitment type credentials. Believe me DP will have the say on this. Four year contracts for both DP and SM are frightening. I would have allocated two years with a further two years in club favour. IMHO DP was not in a massive stronghold bargaining position after his Warrington debacle. He will baffle Ellis and get his own men in. Crowther physio on his way. Did not follow him to Wire because too far to travel from Kippax. I expect Sheridan and Shenton to be announced next. This new era is going to be very interesting.

Yes we shall see. However from talking to a few people that know Ellis, he has not built his business from very little to where it is by being a pushover. He is obviously giving Powell a free hand to assemble his staff. He will also expect Powell to deliver as a result , I agree interesting times ahead.

Edited by Agbrigg
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

Yes we shall see. However from talking to a few people that know Ellis, he has not built his business from very little to where it is by being a pushover. He is obviously giving Powell a free hand to assemble his staff. He will also expect Powell to deliver as a result , I agree interesting times ahead.

Yeah as you say we shall see. I have no knowledge of Mr Ellis whatsoever so I can not comment. I have knowledge of Mr Powell and he is ok when he is controlling matters. Not so ok when challenged or people stand up to him. As you say we shall see.

On 04/10/2023 at 16:31, Agbrigg said:

After all it will only be for a season, then move on to try a rattle the big boys.

Morning Aggers, is what Trinity are doing in the transfer market still making you as confident as that statement you made, I know that on-field performance is not the telling factor (darn it), but your cross borough neighbours seem to be building much better with their squad, doesn't look like they have given up on promotion either.

In another post someone has said that all the clubs have now recieved their IMG speculated points for 2024 albeit no club is aware of any other clubs score, is this a telling factor?

On 04/10/2023 at 16:31, Agbrigg said:

After all it will only be for a season, then move on to try a rattle the big boys.

Perhaps I was being a little previous with my last post, I have scrolled down and seen the announcement and intentions of the new owner, will he be your very own version of Derek Beaumont by that I mean all the good things he has done for his club not including the little spats he can have from time to time.

Anyway good luck with it all.

14 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Morning Aggers, is what Trinity are doing in the transfer market still making you as confident as that statement you made, I know that on-field performance is not the telling factor (darn it), but your cross borough neighbours seem to be building much better with their squad, doesn't look like they have given up on promotion either.

In another post someone has said that all the clubs have now recieved their IMG speculated points for 2024 albeit no club is aware of any other clubs score, is this a telling factor?

I’m thinking that too Harry, I think we’ve a better score than we expected, as we’ve gone from going to cut budget to bringing in better players. If rumours are true about other players we’ve signed we’ve put together a right side. 

Edited by Rovers13

53 minutes ago, Rovers13 said:

I’m thinking that too Harry, I think we’ve a better score than we expected, as we’ve gone from going to cut budget to bringing in better players. If rumours are true about other players we’ve signed we’ve put together a right side. 

It's going to be interesting when all the clubs IMG speculative points are made known to everyone, including us who are going to pay to watch by whatever medium we choose to do.

I honestly feel the figures should have been published much earlier especially for the Championship clubs, they would know whether to give a big push to enable them to accumulate more points or just sit back and say "What's the point", which by the way that is what I think will become the norm after a couple or three season's when clubs realise that in this IMG system they will never ever have the opportunity to be promoted to SL.

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

It's going to be interesting when all the clubs IMG speculative points are made known to everyone, including us who are going to pay to watch by whatever medium we choose to do.

I honestly feel the figures should have been published much earlier especially for the Championship clubs, they would know whether to give a big push to enable them to accumulate more points or just sit back and say "What's the point", which by the way that is what I think will become the norm after a couple or three season's when clubs realise that in this IMG system they will never ever have the opportunity to be promoted to SL.

Think majority know that anyway Harry tbh, think only handful feel they have a chance even if a slim one. 

14 hours ago, Agbrigg said:

While he clearly has a few bob he doesn't 'own' the business but is one of three directors holding a minority (12%) of the non-voting shares. The ordinary shares are held by a separate company of which he is a director (since July 2023) but holds no shares (looks as though his parents hold 50% each).

Edited by Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rovers13 said:

Think majority know that anyway Harry tbh, think only handful feel they have a chance even if a slim one. 

I have been under that impression from day one of IMG's disclosure of Intent of how the game should be run in future and wondered why the clubs below SL would want to vote for it, then I came to the conclusion that the majority of clubs never have any intention or desire of ever making it to the top division.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I have been under that impression from day one of IMG's disclosure of Intent of how the game should be run in future and wondered why the clubs below SL would want to vote for it, then I came to the conclusion that the majority of clubs never have any intention or desire of ever making it to the top division.

I agree Harry this img thing is rubbish, luckily I didn’t buy a season ticket when they were cheap as I was tempted because I thought we was going up, but I’m done with game now, I’ve no interest in playing for nothing I’d rather go watch Leeds utd tbh. Not that I will mind, just find summat else to do with my money. 

Edited by Rovers13
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

While he clearly has a few bob he doesn't 'own' the business but is one of three directors holding a minority (12%) of the non-voting shares. The ordinary shares are held by a separate company of which he is a director (since July 2023) but holds no shares (looks as though his parents hold 50% each).

It’s a family business, majority owned by his parents with no other investors and no debt. He’s clearly the succession plan there. He’s been running their online operations, which is the growth engine. 

They made £20m profit last year alone, so can more than afford whatever is required to take Wakey into the Top 6. 

I know some will hate this, but this is a good sign of rugby league’s new, more medium-term structure attracting a higher quality investor into the sport. Our sport needs owner subsidies right now, so this is something to celebrate. 

• Like 4

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

Harry

Not worried in the slightest. As a club getting Matt Ellis on board has been a huge step forward.

As far as signings are concerned, we have a few already from last season and some good juniors on the fringe. Let's not forget the bloke has been balked and delayed in the takeover and whilst not owning the club he can only talk to players not sign them. He has owned it only 24 hrs. Let's see where we are in a month.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

What was the delay for?

More clicks.

• Haha 1

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

20 hours ago, SUPERSTUD said:

Well I will be the first to say jobs for the boys! Steve Mills background is as an analyst. Individual player match day stats etc. I will stand corrected but I do not believe he has any previous salary cap recruitment type credentials. Believe me DP will have the say on this. Four year contracts for both DP and SM are frightening. I would have allocated two years with a further two years in club favour. IMHO DP was not in a massive stronghold bargaining position after his Warrington debacle. He will baffle Ellis and get his own men in. Crowther physio on his way. Did not follow him to Wire because too far to travel from Kippax. I expect Sheridan and Shenton to be announced next. This new era is going to be very interesting.

Why would Shelton want to go from running Hulls academy to Wakefield?