Wakeys new owner speaks

4 minutes ago, Tre Cool said:

Ok fair enough i thought he was the offical new owner

From the story on the site, https://wakefieldtrinity.com/acquistion-update-a-message-from-john-minards-and-matt-ellis/ 

"Wakefield Trinity are excited to announce that an agreement has been reached, subject to legal completion, for the club to be acquired by Matt Ellis of DIY-Kitchens."

But no further story to confirm that completion has been made. Though the club site isn't great.

1 hour ago, RigbyLuger said:

From the story on the site, https://wakefieldtrinity.com/acquistion-update-a-message-from-john-minards-and-matt-ellis/ 

But no further story to confirm that completion has been made. Though the club site isn't great.

Would be good to have official announcement at the shareholders meeting scheduled for tomorrow night.  The proposed introductory fans forum mentioned by ME could then be given a date.

• Like 1

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

On 23/09/2023 at 21:50, Trojan Horse said:

It sounds like he’s wanting to do a Leigh centurions and run a successful full time outfit in the championship and improve other areas while building a winning culture.

Lets see which players come in and all that’s left is the Wakefield fans to back the new regime and turn up in numbers. 

Hi Trojan, as daft as it sounds building that winning near invincible team in the Championship can really have an adverse affect on crowd numbers, Leigh's average attendance was very poor under 3000, most games were a forgone conclusion and people seemingly prefer to see a contest not easy wins and didn't turn up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

Hi Trojan, as daft as it sounds building that winning near invincible team in the Championship can really have an adverse affect on crowd numbers, Leigh's average attendance was very poor under 3000, most games were a forgone conclusion and people seemingly prefer to see a contest not easy wins and didn't turn up.

Interesting point that, yes I bet the first few weeks are great and then it all gets 'old' a bit quickly 

• Like 1

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

On 23/09/2023 at 22:41, Damien said:

Hopefully he's got a bit of money to invest enough (millionaire is a bit vague) to take Wakefield up to the next level, especially with the stadium improvements making a big difference.

Because I'm an anorak I looked it up: DIY Kitchens (founded by his Dad) had revenues of £90m last year, and made profit after tax of £20m. They've cash reserves of £10m and in the prior 12 months had invested £5m in machinery etc. from within their own cash flow with no need for outside financing. 

Strikes me as the sort of owners who can more than afford to run a long-term £1.5m/year subsidy, which is probably what Wakefield would need to be a consistent Top 6 club. These are precisely the investors our sport needs to attract into the game, I'm delighted for the club - the more strong teams we have the better.   

• Like 4

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

1 minute ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Because I'm an anorak I looked it up: DIY Kitchens (founded by his Dad) had revenues of £90m last year, and made profit after tax of £20m. They've cash reserves of £10m and in the prior 12 months had invested £5m in machinery etc. from within their own cash flow with no need for outside financing. 

Strikes me as the sort of owners who can more than afford to run a long-term £1.5m/year subsidy, which is probably what Wakefield would need to be a consistent Top 6 club. These are precisely the investors our sport needs to attract into the game, I'm delighted for the club - the more strong teams we have the better.   

Great stuff. Never realised the kitchen business was so lucrative! Not short of a bob or two then.

4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Exactly so Bronco especially when the tables 'settle down' and clubs show their level.

Yes so you can spot the "meaningless" games a mile off. There's a load of sports marketing research on how the key driver of audience growth is "uncertainty"... winning close games is best, but then losing close games is a very close 2nd best when you look at what factors create great customer experience.

That said if it's just for one season maybe it can be a bit of a refreshing change, new teams to play etc, that's certainly what Rovers found. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Damien said:

Great stuff. Never realised the kitchen business was so lucrative! Not short of a bob or two then.

Me neither. It was a bit of a shock when I looked it up 🤣

1 hour ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

We've been to many games this year with them being a foregone conclusion, just in a negative manner. After this season, watching a team win comfortably, if that proved to be the case, wouldn't be such a put off. 

It would be thoroughly enjoyable for one season. If you could guarantee now that most games would be comfortable wins I'd snap your hand off after the season we've had!

• Like 2

Well the solicitors may have Ts to cross and Is to dot but ME's latest comments suggests he's already in the driving seat.

"I have been working hard behind the scenes and as you all will be aware I have agreed a deal with a new Head Coach. I can also confirm I have a new Recruitment / Salary Cap Manager ready to start working for the club once the takeover is complete. I also have a number of staff ready to take their place to run the off the field non rugby business. I will call a further shareholder meeting within days of the takeover being completed."

Edited by Wollo Wollo Wayoo

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

2 hours ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

We've been to many games this year with them being a foregone conclusion, just in a negative manner. After this season, watching a team win comfortably, if that proved to be the case, wouldn't be such a put off. 

37 minutes ago, north yorks trinity said:

It would be thoroughly enjoyable for one season. If you could guarantee now that most games would be comfortable wins I'd snap your hand off after the season we've had!

Honestly believe me lads, 20 mins into the game and as many points on the board does get boring after a while if you were as dominant as Leigh was in '22.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Honestly believe me lads, 20 mins into the game and as many points on the board does get boring after a while if you were as dominant as Leigh was in '22.

Harry old lad, nothing is more boring than watching you team remain scoreless for a multitude of games. I'll take one sided cricket score wins everyday of the week.

After all it will only be for a season, then move on to try a rattle the big boys.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

Harry old lad, nothing is more boring than watching you team remain scoreless for a multitude of games. I'll take one sided cricket score wins everyday of the week.

After all it will only be for a season, then move on to try a rattle the big boys.

For me the best bit was visiting a load of grounds I hadn't been to for over a decade. Not sure I'd have enjoyed it so much if there was a 2nd season!

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Interesting point that, yes I bet the first few weeks are great and then it all gets 'old' a bit quickly 

It is an interesting point

However after the year they have had maybe Wakey fans will enjoy a dozen or so games sitting in those shiney new seats where their team bash sides 

Edited by Bedfordshire Bronco

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

However after the year they have had maybe Wakey fans will enjoy a dozen or so games sitting in those shiney new seats where their team bash sides 

Not taking it for granted that that will happen but you are right, we'd love it. I won't be in the seats by the way but I'll enjoy the view of them from where I stand and hope they are full.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, north yorks trinity said:

Not taking it for granted that that will happen but you are right, we'd love it. I won't be in the seats by the way but I'll enjoy the view of them from where I stand and hope they are full.

Interesting point that I raised before 

All your fans are pretty much in that end.....who IS going to sit in the seats? As a Broncos fan I'll be in there next year rather than the opposite terrace 

4 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Yeah I reckon for a year it'll be fun. It was for us. 

For Leigh fans who were in the Championship every other year, or more, then maybe it got old more quickly. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Interesting point that I raised before 

All your fans are pretty much in that end.....who IS going to sit in the seats? As a Broncos fan I'll be in there next year rather than the opposite terrace 

You'd like to think it opens up a new audience? Having been to Trin's ground many times, let's be honest unless you were enjoying food & drink in the Benidorm End boxes then it wasn't exactly the most glamorous or high-end live sport experience! I love a terrace, a pie and a pint me, but there's plenty of customers out there who want to sit in a decent seat in a decent stand with a concourse, who might not have attended Wakey regularly with the old set up. 

Wakefield have a large catchment, rugby league is the highest-level sport in town, there's a lot of headroom for growth I think.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

You'd like to think it opens up a new audience? Having been to Trin's ground many times, let's be honest unless you were enjoying food & drink in the Benidorm End boxes then it wasn't exactly the most glamorous or high-end live sport experience! I love a terrace, a pie and a pint me, but there's plenty of customers out there who want to sit in a decent seat in a decent stand with a concourse, who might not have attended Wakey regularly with the old set up. 

Wakefield have a large catchment, rugby league is the highest-level sport in town, there's a lot of headroom for growth I think.

There have been big crowds at Wakefield at various times over the years in SL and that to me shows the latent support is there if the club can get their act together on and off the field.

The ground redevelopment will help increase crowds and provide greatly increased income streams and the new owner has set out his plans to improve things and vowed to put in money. This ticks the two big boxes that have held the club back and for the first time in decades they are in a position to fulfil their potential. Even being in the Championship may work well to galvanise fans and get them on board to a winning and successful team.

I think all the ingredients are there for a strong SL club, along the lines of Hull KR and averaging 8k+, if the owner follows up what he says. 

• Like 1

Talking to a mate who is a wakey fan, poor lad, he is extremely sceptical about this guy, his words were something along the lines of there's always a worry when people TALK about what they're going to do, what will happen rather than it actually happening.

I'm not saying this fella won't be true to his word, but there's an awful lot of talk about how much money he's got and what he's going to do and what Wakefield will do etc.

3 minutes ago, meast said:

Talking to a mate who is a wakey fan, poor lad, he is extremely sceptical about this guy, his words were something along the lines of there's always a worry when people TALK about what they're going to do, what will happen rather than it actually happening.

I'm not saying this fella won't be true to his word, but there's an awful lot of talk about how much money he's got and what he's going to do and what Wakefield will do etc.

He's been there 2 weeks so of course he has only talked to date about his plans. I'm not sure what else people expect in that time.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, meast said:

Under promise & over deliver then you won't upset anyone.

This new Wakefield bloke is promising the earth and if for any reason something doesn't happen, he's going to have people on his back.

Although if you've ever ordered a kitchen that's exactly what the salesmen are like so it's obviously in his nature.

• Like 2

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season