Sun 1st Oct: NRL Grand Final: Penrith Panthers v Brisbane Broncos KO 9.30am BST (Sky) Merged Threads

Who will win?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Penrith Panthers by 13 points or more
    • Penrith Panthers by 7 to 12 points
    • Penrith Panthers by 1 to 6 points
    • Brisbane Broncos by 1 to 6 points
    • Brisbane Broncos by 7 to 12 points
    • Brisbane Broncos by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/10/23 at 09:00

Though Brisbane lost still some great efforts, Farnworth was probably the best player on the field in the first half, some incredibly defence and ended up making 180 Metres only second to Dylan Edwards. Also Ezra Mam with a phenomenal performance, he single handedly scored 2 wonder tries and had a incredible running game. Haas and Walsh also had great performances as well. Brisbane so unlucky, one of the best performances  in a grand final without winning I’ve ever seen. 

Edited by NRLandSL
  • Like 1

I like the junior players being given the honour of handing out the rings.

Each player being introduced and called up is good at recognising and highlighting individuals - and indeed building recognition among viewers.

SL could look at doing something similar.

Edited by StandOffHalf
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

Haha, To'o's sunglasses going up to get his ring!!

A fun guy.

I think he deliberately wore them just so he could give them to that kid that presented him the Premiership ring...and to get up every non-Panthers fan that hate that stuff about the Panthers. lol.

30 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Clearly misses 3 tackles which result in 3 Mam tries, but then he comes good and wins the game,  what a player.

Yeah and then Mam had a terrible read which cost the Leota try. Both of them were incredible in attack but made some terrible decisions in defence. Kept the game entertaining though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Rocket said:

I think he deliberately wore them just so he could give them to that kid that presented him the Premiership ring...and to get up every non-Panthers fan that hate that stuff about the Panthers. lol.

I honestly just think he's a fun-loving, chill fella splashing his individuality out of happiness.

• Like 1

was either Johns or  Fittler who remarked near the end of the first half  of this mornings GF  " the referees stayed out of this " - "we havent seen the referee" then again full of praise for the referee for letting the game flow freely in the 2nd half - this was a major factor and contributor to what turned out to be a non stop - exiting - pulsating classic encounter - personally I didn't even know who the ref was till well in to the action - compare this with yesterdays "stop start" whistleathon  in the saints game where another stoppage and penalty was even blown with 4 secs to go! no comparison in the levels of entertainment between the 2 - if it comes down to spending money on an NRL  subscription or paying to watch stop start penaltyfests just like RU - then you can keep the latter- well done Adam Gee

• Like 3

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

3 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

was either Johns or  Fittler who remarked near the end of the first half  of this mornings GF  " the referees stayed out of this " - "we havent seen the referee" then again full of praise for the referee for letting the game flow freely in the 2nd half - this was a major factor and contributor to what turned out to be a non stop - exiting - pulsating classic encounter - personally I didn't even know who the ref was till well in to the action - compare this with yesterdays "stop start" whistleathon  in the saints game where another stoppage and penalty was even blown with 4 secs to go! no comparison in the levels of entertainment between the 2 - if it comes down to spending money on an NRL  subscription or paying to watch stop start penaltyfests just like RU - then you can keep the latter- well done Adam Gee

Yeah, only one nit-picky knock-on call I thought, where Walsh in the first half fumbled but the ball still appeared to go backwards to Arthurs, but apart from that pretty good.

8 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

There were only 5 penalties and 1 set restart.

it makes watching SL a chore in comparison - wish it didnt - any ideas why the huge difference? we are supposed to be playing the same sport and rules ?

Edited by graveyard johnny
  • Haha 1

I am very happy with the refereeing in today's game.

But there is no doubt that the referees in Australia apply a different standard in State of Origin and the Grand Final than they do for the rest of year when it comes to head contact and late contact and so on.

• Like 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

• John Drake changed the title to Sun 1st Oct: NRL Grand Final: Penrith Panthers v Brisbane Broncos KO 9.30am BST (Sky) Merged Threads
  • John Drake unpinned this topic
54 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I am very happy with the refereeing in today's game.

But there is no doubt that the referees in Australia apply a different standard in State of Origin and the Grand Final than they do for the rest of year when it comes to head contact and late contact and so on.

Yes they do and should extend it to all games, we are in the entertainment industry and officiating such as that which makes the game more appealing to watch can only be good, albeit I can never see it catching on over here our refs are just simply to pedantic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yes they do and should extend it to all games, we are in the entertainment industry and officiating such as that which makes the game more appealing to watch can only be good, albeit I can never see it catching on over here our refs are just simply to pedantic.

nail on the head HS- something has to be done or the turnstiles will stop clicking and the viewing figures will plummet - we have the product - that was evident today - why ruin it?

2 hours ago, CrushersForever said:

Yeah, that was the set when they gave momentum back to Penrith. The ball went to ground a couple of times, Farnsworth threw a loose pass, Crichton picked it up, and Penrith never looked back.

They'd found space and time and exploited it , there was no need to push to create it , they were playing like they were the team 16 down , all it needed was tie the Panthers down in the corner or force a drop out , win a penalty 

37 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Harry , the PTBs today we're very ' clean ' , but over here our players and obviously coaches try to slow everything down , some more than others 😉

• Like 2

Incredible comeback by the Panthers. Thought Mam had won it for the Broncos but Cleary single handedly changed the whole game in the last 15 minutes. Disappointed for the Broncos but what a game. Truly the best sport in the world but we in the NH have a long, long way to go to catch up. Good refereeing too, let the game flow and the players take centre stage. If it's Panthers v Saints again I don't really see anything except a big Panthers win. The whole NRL game seems to be on a different level to what we have over here unfortunately.

Edited by bromleybulldog

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

I think if the referee's are lenient all year the coaches and players will take advantage of it and we would see a lot of spoiling play.  We know teams push the laws to the breaking point already.

Being more lenient in one or two games a year is OK but the whole year would produce something else for us to complain about no doubt.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

40 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Harry , the PTBs today we're very ' clean ' , but over here our players and obviously coaches try to slow everything down , some more than others 😉

So correct Gubby, great isn't it to watch a couple of player's who have had nothing to do with the tackle come in and lie on top of two teammates already involved in the tackle, if numpties like us can see it why do the refs allow it, unless they wish the game to be slowed down so they can catch their breath.

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

I think if the referee's are lenient all year the coaches and players will take advantage of it and we would see a lot of spoiling play.  We know teams push the laws to the breaking point already.

Being more lenient in one or two games a year is OK but the whole year would produce something else for us to complain about no doubt.

Exactly this. There is too much opportunity to bend the rules in our sport, if refs reffed like that all the time everyone would be moaning about the excessive wrestling and slowness of games. Lay down the law in regular games so we can get games like that in showpieces.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

5 hours ago, Pulga said:

Also Haas could legitimately be the best forward the game has ever seen. He's up there with the best players in the game at the moment.

He certainly can.

Forget the fact that he averaged more running metres and made more tackle breaks and offloads than every other prop in the NRL this year... you expect that from him.

But he missed 5 tackles all year. 5!

Oh, and made just 3 errors.

The guy is just a machine.

Edited by Dunbar