Championship Meeting

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

I think you are being over optimistic Keith in your assumption that there could be more money coming out of Sky, I don't know and I assume unless one is employed by Sky who know if there is any profit for Sky with the RL contract, I would not be surprised if all those who subscribe to Sky soley for the RL content do return a profit, I would also be surprised if an increase to 14 SL teams would increase the number of subscribers.

Reportedly Sky told SL administrators that the audience is stagnant, which led them to offer only 17 million £ per year for a renewal.  Only the interest from other parties got that amount partway back up, to 21 million £.

Those who think two more teams from smallish, unfashionable places the public clearly doesn't rate would add significant value to the rights are deluding themselves.

7 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Those who think two more teams from smallish, unfashionable places the public clearly doesn't rate

Do you ever give it a rest? We know you don't like the places Rugby League is played and is strong, you've told us often enough.

Constantly bleating about it isn't going to change the reality, delusional posts about fictional teams in other places notwithstanding.

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Reportedly Sky told SL administrators that the audience is stagnant, which led them to offer only 17 million £ per year for a renewal.  Only the interest from other parties got that amount partway back up, to 21 million £.

Those who think two more teams from smallish, unfashionable places the public clearly doesn't rate would add significant value to the rights are deluding themselves.

Where was that reported?

42 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

I’m not having that, if Fev happen to get promoted out ratings on TV will be massive. The romance of the story. Definitely worth an extra £3m a year to Sky.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Big Picture said:

Now I think about it, it's interesting that IMG seem to favour city-based clubs - London, Newcastle, York, Sheffield - yet the criteria they've come up with seem to favour the status quo.

• Like 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

1 hour ago, M j M said:

Do you ever give it a rest? We know you don't like the places Rugby League is played and is strong, you've told us often enough.

Constantly bleating about it isn't going to change the reality, delusional posts about fictional teams in other places notwithstanding.

On the contrary I have nothing against those places, I simply recognize the truth of Sean McGuire's observations about them.

20 minutes ago, Griff said:

Now I think about it, it's interesting that IMG seem to favour city-based clubs - London, Newcastle, York, Sheffield - yet the criteria they've come up with seem to favour the status quo.

IMG's hands are tied by the need to placate the current clubs and get them to accept any plan.  If there's barely enough money for 12 top clubs, those cities can't be accommodated without excluding some of those clubs and they'll never vote for that.

8 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

On the contrary I have nothing against those places, I simply recognize the truth of Sean McGuire's observations about them.

And there it is 😄

Everything keeps coming back to the misunderstood ramblings of a failed Rugby League administrator.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

In a way this is tied to the thread about having the entire Tonga series in the M62.  How do you drive interest in new markets in the Super League, because right now every sport other than Football is suffering.  At least Union can get money via Internationals, but League has no income stream that keeps clubs full time outside of Sky Money.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

I’m not having that, if Fev happen to get promoted out ratings on TV will be massive. The romance of the story. Definitely worth an extra £3m a year to Sky.

Only if they are winning Monkey, Leigh on the first round of scheduled games on Sky was very infrequent in 2023 they were always going to get the first game v Salford for the novelty value, maybe as you say the romance and also the curiosity with the rebranding to the Leopards, but then later in the season after the second phase of the rescheduling they were on as much as anyone, all down to the success they had on the field, had they been struggling at the bottom I doubt very much they would have got the exposure they recieved, but either way I doubt that brought in more punters than those already subscribed.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Only if they are winning Monkey, Leigh on the first round of scheduled games on Sky was very infrequent in 2023 they were always going to get the first game v Salford for the novelty value, maybe as you say the romance and also the curiosity with the rebranding to the Leopards, but then later in the season after the second phase of the rescheduling they were on as much as anyone, all down to the success they had on the field, had they been struggling at the bottom I doubt very much they would have got the exposure they recieved, but either way I doubt that brought in more punters than those already subscribed.

You only had to look how many times Wakefield were on,not many.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Griff said:

IMG's primary aim is to get all 12 SL chairmen to agree to their plans.

How do you do that? 

Go with their plans.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

You'd get on well with them then! 😉

They have as much idea as you Tommy , or me for that matter , there is no answer other than each club works harder to build their own support bases , playing about with structures will achieve zilch 

29 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

They have as much idea as you Tommy , or me for that matter , there is no answer other than each club works harder to build their own support bases , playing about with structures will achieve zilch 

That's probably why they are doing very little around structures then, whilst many of the loudest voices in the game think they are the be all and end all.

• Like 1

Can't see plans for next year changing so soon. You can't restructure in an off season. Surely the interim solution is play 3x making a 24 game season, which is actually more games than last year?

"Going to Cornwall twice" isn't exactly the stumbling block it's being made out to be (only half the clubs would need to do that), considering they won't be traveling to London nor West Wales as in recent years.

• Like 4
Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

3 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

As an aside, for the conspiracy enthusiasts here, the large hole in the RFL budgets for next season mean the Grand Final and Tonga Series are more important than ever.

Cue Catalans not getting there...

TBH I think Saints will have too much for cats anyway. I cant see a cats win here (I can however see KR beating the Pies tomorrow.)

Think only Tolouse will be making a trip for a final to the UK

3 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

As an aside, for the conspiracy enthusiasts here, the large hole in the RFL budgets for next season mean the Grand Final and Tonga Series are more important than ever.

Cue Catalans not getting there...

A massive digression but it's worth saying that this is the problem with the set-up for the Tonga series - it's almost been designed to make it virtually impossible to make significant money from.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)