Championship Meeting

2 minutes ago, dkw said:

Sigh....

You know what they want that letter just about spells it out, let em all stay in league one then if they don’t want champ rugby easily solved. You have been saying champ clubs are full of self interest yet that letter smacks of it lol. 

Edited by Rovers13
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just to avoid any confusion about self interest - I do not support a League One club. The chairman of my own Championship club offered a suggestion of an interim solution which appeared to have some merit but I don't hold out much hopes of it ever seeing the light of day. Signing off.

Good to see the pretence that some Championship club were ever interested in whole game solutions has long gone.

• Like 8

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Good to see the pretence that some Championship club were ever interested in whole game solutions has long gone.

You seem to be misunderstanding not only do we have super greed we know also seem to have greed 1. It’s a wonder the Saints in the championship put up with us at all. 

Edited by bobbruce
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

It’s a wonder thoughs Saints in the championship put up with us at all. 

Saints in the Championship ?

Won't they be surprised .....

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

I know it doesn’t take much, but I am confused now re the Newcastle situation, what is actually happening :

a) have they folded,

b) just not entering a team this year in League 1 but hoping to return in season 2025 ( can’t see how you can do that)

c) or is it back to how it was on the last day of the season, ie they will be competing in League 1?

4 minutes ago, Expatknight said:

I know it doesn’t take much, but I am confused now re the Newcastle situation, what is actually happening :

a) have they folded,

b) just not entering a team this year in League 1 but hoping to return in season 2025 ( can’t see how you can do that)

c) or is it back to how it was on the last day of the season, ie they will be competing in League 1?

Isn't that what York did after the original club folded in 2002? The Knights couldn't get things ready in time (or were told they weren't ready) for the 2002 season but the newly formed Knights applied to join the league and were accepted starting in 2003? If I am remembering correctly they had a year out before the resurrected club joined so there would be precedent for it happening if Newcastle are able to organise something even if it was for 2025.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Expatknight said:

a) have they folded,

The original statement from Newcastle said that they wouldn't be able to compete in 2024.

It was largely seen as them pulling out completely, but semantically left the door open for a return (on the basis that they retain RFL membership and could therefore easily be readmitted to a competition if seen fit).

The second statement, last week, said that they were testing the water for interest from supporters and potential backers/administrators (with a public meeting organised) and still hoped to compete in 2024 if possible. I got the impression that the second statement didn't come from the existing club management, but perhaps a single current/former director or someone who is willing to take a lead on running the club.

The initial statement did very much seem like the current owner decided to pull the plug without seeing if anyone would take over from him.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, wiganermike said:

Isn't that what York did after the original club folded in 2002? The Knights couldn't get things ready in time (or were told they weren't ready) for the 2002 season but the newly formed Knights applied to join the league and were accepted starting in 2003? If I am remembering correctly they had a year out before the resurrected club joined so there would be precedent for it happening if Newcastle are able to organise something even if it was for 2025.

York folded midseason and had their record expunged.  Which left half the teams with 26 fixtures and the other half with 27.  They were going to decide the league on percentages until someone came up with five extra fixtures to bring the ten clubs with 26 fixtures up to 27.  It wasn't as easy as you might think coming up with five pairings that didn't repeat existing fixtures.  Six of the clubs only had one option and the other four had two possible pairings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Expatknight said:

a) have they folded,

Having a season out was what they did in 2000.  Dropping from SL to NFP, they would've had to recruit from scratch anyway so it wasn't any tougher to start in 2001 than it would've been to start in 2000.

This is different, though.

2 minutes ago, Griff said:

Having a season out was what they did in 2000.  Dropping from SL to NFP, they would've had to recruit from scratch anyway so it wasn't any tougher to start in 2001 than it would've been to start in 2000.

This is different, though.

Definitely different - Gateshead Thunder (1999) merged with Hull FC. There was therefore no club in Gateshead to continue and a brand new one had to be formed.

As I understand it, at present they are hoping to save the existing club and either continue playing next year or (if that isn't possible) miss a year and play again in 2025. 

1 minute ago, Barley Mow said:

As I understand it, at present they are hoping to save the existing club and either continue playing next year or (if that isn't possible) miss a year and play again in 2025. 

Mmmmm - depends on the state of the company as to whether that's the best plan.

1 minute ago, Griff said:

Mmmmm - depends on the state of the company as to whether that's the best plan.

Yes, or rather the terms on which the existing owner might be willing to give up control.

The current club being RFL members might in itself make it worth the effort of continuing rather than reforming.

Either way, I hope there is a club in some form in the future.

1 hour ago, Barley Mow said:

Yes, or rather the terms on which the existing owner might be willing to give up control.

The current club being RFL members might in itself make it worth the effort of continuing rather than reforming.

Either way, I hope there is a club in some form in the future.

I personally can’t see it if there isn’t a wealthy owner. £15,000 doesn’t make much of a dent in season long expenses, especially when you’re based in Newcastle.

21 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

I personally can’t see it if there isn’t a wealthy owner. £15,000 doesn’t make much of a dent in season long expenses, especially when you’re based in Newcastle.

Well, they could always sell season tickets and sponsorships, I suppose.