Sun 8th Oct: Ch S/F: Featherstone Rovers v London Broncos KO 18:30 (Viaplay)

Who will win?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Featherstone Rovers
    • London Broncos

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/10/23 at 18:00

1 minute ago, Smudger06 said:

Actually we've only had 18 chances out of 28. 

Is that all? I'll take your word for it as it doesnt change the point in the slightest.

It's all obviously everyone else's fault then that Fev have failed time and again then.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LeytherRob said:

Penny for Mark Campell's thoughts right now, took a big gamble putting James Ford in. Be interesting to see if he stands by him as coach. If he doesn't not really sure where Ford goes from here, left a comfortable position at York and between his stints at Wakefield and Fev he's done a fair bit of damage to his prospects of getting a decent gig

He may have plenty of time on his own soon pondering all of that 😜

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, NRLandSL said:

Feel bad for Featherstone, but it shows what happens when you just sign the best Australian free agents at the start of every season instead of slowly building a team over time through youth. They looked very disjointed, I think if Featherstone just stick with a few youngsters for a few years they could start to grow long-term. Cause splashing endless amounts of cash on whoever's available doesn't work.

Explain how a club in the lower tier can ' build a team over time ' when essentially every year their best will be picked off by the SL clubs ? 

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Explain how a club in the lower tier can ' build a team over time ' when essentially every year their best will be picked off by the SL clubs ? 

I don’t mean to fully develop youth over a long period of time, but to just stick with the same team for a few years and develop them together rather than just changing the team every year for ever which former first grader they can sign. Cohesion is a very important thing and we saw how much it helped London, there team is full of players have been there 5+ years and it showed.

And I’m not suprised players want to leave when they’ve lost in the playoffs 5 years in a row, it’s obvious they need a change in culture and giving some youngsters a run instead of just signing new players may be what they need, but maybe not.

1 minute ago, NRLandSL said:

I don’t mean to fully develop youth over a long period of time, but to just stick with the same team for a few years and develop them together rather than just changing the team every year for ever which former first grader they can sign. Cohesion is a very important thing and we saw how much it helped London, there team is full of players have been there 5+ years and it showed.

And I’m not suprised players want to leave when they’ve lost in the playoffs 5 years in a row, it’s obvious they need a change in culture and giving some youngsters a run instead of just signing new players may be what they need, but maybe not.

And as I pointed out , it isn't possible , every year your best players will be taken by SL clubs , you have to buy your way into SL , Toronto did it , Leigh did it , even London did it 

• Like 3

Championship clubs lose own-developed-players to SL clubs because they don't offer enough challenges, attractions  and opportunities. SL clubs lose players to the NRL for the same reasons.

Having said that, I'd like to see clubs pay realistic transfer fees.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Whatever the outcome of the final, London and Toulouse are in the final because of what happened on the pitch. This is something that many RL fans have been screaming out for as the only way to decide who gets promoted. 
Well now it’s happening….and yet many of those same people don’t seem to like it? I don’t mean that Fev lost, it’s obvious Fev fans wouldn’t like that, I mean that apparently it means RL is now screwed as proper teams aren’t being promoted. 

Come on guys, was it genuinely all about what happens on the pitch? Or was that just an excuse to try to keep those outsiders out? Because London won against a clear favourite, using a high percentage of southerners. Maybe they can play the game if given chance?

• Like 3

Question for Fev fans. 

When you would have gone down with 2 wins and regular pumpings, what was the plan then? Or was it just to get promoted at least once?

And yes I am aware the same is likely to happen to London or Toulouse. 

Not sure I see your nirvana of promotion. 

I think London were great and put everything into the performance. From a London perspective it was a Shame not to see both Leyland boys out there as they are proper home grown, considering London have made so much of that aspect of the club. believe that either Leyland or Railuwai would have done the job against Fev with Norman and Whare beside them, it was more about heart and cohesion. going forward London have got to be offering more both developmental and financially, despite the journey Mike has been on he is not a coach and hasn’t play the game so many of the decisions appear to be coming from Norman and just hope London get another Norman next year or keep this one but probably at the expense of other players as the money won’t stretch. Player development relies entirely on the other players around them so getting experienced key positions in is the only way young players will develop in the current set up. Bill Leyland is a force but has had Paratta as his mentor.  

good luck to both teams next year but if London go up the infrastructure needs some serious revenue to sustain it

Edited by watcherofRL

10 hours ago, Steven Grason said:

I do not know how London transformed from average team to the slick unit we saw tonight. Our indiscipline is what cost us. And our discipline has been excellent all year. We have now come top of the championship 5 times and not been promoted. For me, loyalties aside, there is something very wrong with that. IMG will be the death knell of the game as we know it in my opinion.

You know IMG have played no role whatsoever in those "topped table 5 times and not got promoted" thingy right?

If anything, a new model seems like the only way Featherstone might get promoted... you don't seem to be able to do it on playing merit alone 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

4 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

You know IMG have played no role whatsoever in those "topped table 5 times and not got promoted" thingy right?

If anything, a new model seems like the only way Featherstone might get promoted... you don't seem to be able to do it on playing merit alone 

The Fev side was bang average last night and half the pack looked fat and unfit to me. 

That's on them. 

2 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

I can’t actually see any mention of it on the main site either. The result is in the score section but no actual mention of the game. 

When you consider some of the s***e on there, that is a joke

Edited by OnStrike
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, OnStrike said:

I was genuinely shocked when I saw this result last night. Feel for Fev. Still no mention of it on the BBC Sport App that I can see. 

Nothing that I can see.

They had live radio coverage via BBC Leeds that you can still access but nothing else.

I'm wondering if there will even be radio coverage of the final by anyone.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Damien said:

Is that all? I'll take your word for it as it doesnt change the point in the slightest.

It's all obviously everyone else's fault then that Fev have failed time and again then.

Not at all, just been a little pedantic, that's all. 

8 hours ago, Rovers13 said:

I fear for the game I really do fev losing is a small minority in the context of things every SL club is in debt and I doubt every other club is in debt too. Can’t grow a sport with just chucking teams in SL and hope it works fev would have just brought as much as wakey did Toulouse  London will bring less grassroots for me to grow the game 

But whichever team gets into Super League next year will have earned it, by winning on the pitch? The fruits of London's grassroots work to build new talent pools were on the pitch last night, and are on the pitch in many other Super League and Championship games that don't feature London

Let's have some brutal home truths: Featherstone tried to get into Super League through financial doping, by spending far more on their squad than the other teams in the league could afford to. There's no justice or sporting fairness in that. Just because your local businessman was prepared to set fire to £1m, and another club's wasn't. Now, even having done that, you still didn't win on the pitch and so you're all salty about it.

I get you're disappointed, but please save us from the holier-than-thou "Featherstone are the true spirit of the game" nonsense, it doesn't wash. You were the Ben Johnson of rugby league this year, only this version tripped over his laces 5 metres from the finish line rather than failed a drugs test afterwards. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

I have to say, despite Fev winning the league game at Toulouse how shocked and saddened I was to see just how the form of Johnno Ford and to a certain extent Killer, has dropped since their TO13 days. Both have passed their peak. Hankins on and Davies too looked ordinary at this level imo. MOM in that game Thomas Lacans didn’t even get in the 17, seems crazy to me.

Edited by oiseau
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

Whatever the outcome of the final, London and Toulouse are in the final because of what happened on the pitch. This is something that many RL fans have been screaming out for as the only way to decide who gets promoted. 
Well now it’s happening….and yet many of those same people don’t seem to like it? I don’t mean that Fev lost, it’s obvious Fev fans wouldn’t like that, I mean that apparently it means RL is now screwed as proper teams aren’t being promoted. 

Come on guys, was it genuinely all about what happens on the pitch? Or was that just an excuse to try to keep those outsiders out? Because London won against a clear favourite, using a high percentage of southerners. Maybe they can play the game if given chance?

No it's the fact we are losing that again and won't see anymore straight forward fights for the promised land henceforth. 

2 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

No it's the fact we are losing that again and won't see anymore straight forward fights for the promised land henceforth. 

Gonna be tough with Wakey and TO13/London fighting for top spots. Bradford too impressed against Toulouse on Saturday. They looked much better than the 18 point difference limo.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Question for Fev fans. 

When you would have gone down with 2 wins and regular pumpings, what was the plan then? Or was it just to get promoted at least once?

And yes I am aware the same is likely to happen to London or Toulouse. 

Not sure I see your nirvana of promotion. 

For me, yes it was about achieving promotion against all the odds, to finally get some justice after losing top tier status from mid table when super league formed to the likes of PSG and yes, London.....after thar it didn't matter so much, if relegation had happened at least it would have been down to sport. 

41 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Championship clubs lose own-developed-players to SL clubs because they don't offer enough challenges, attractions  and opportunities. SL clubs lose players to the NRL for the same reasons.

Having said that, I'd like to see clubs pay realistic transfer fees.

You missed out ' money ' 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Smudger06 said:

Time may be playing tricks on my senile old brain so I stand to be corrected here….but I seem to remember around 2008-9 onwards, when there definitely was no automatic promotion, Fev seemed to make a real go of improving their lot. Stadium upgrades, winning on the pitch and increasing their crowds, that sort of thing. 

Why couldn’t they do that again? I understand you’re gutted right now but don’t forget, people were saying there will never be any new teams promoted to SL then as well. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, OnStrike said:

I was genuinely shocked when I saw this result last night. Feel for Fev. Still no mention of it on the BBC Sport App that I can see. 

I wasn't. I watched London last week,  They're a well-coached side who have recruited well during the season and are coming to a peak.

• Like 2

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

41 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

Completely agree , the rules are set at the start of the season