Newcastle Thunder

5 minutes ago, Catflap said:

The RFL are killing our great game. 

So what should they have done? Pumped unlimited amounts of (imaginary) money into Newcastle and any other failing club without end? People hurl blame around but rarely offer any solutions. 

Fact is, even when Kurdi was at the height of his investment, the club got nowhere near the crowd levels to approach sustainability. There's great community work being done in the North East, some of it by the Thunder, and I hope it can be sustained. But like we saw with Skolars, measuring success as having a semi pro club in each area isn't necessarily the right aim. The century old semi-pro system that the heartland clubs have been in isn't always the right goal for everywhere else, and the results as seen in Newcastle, and elsewhere over the decades seems to confirm that. .        

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Toby Chopra said:

So what should they have done? Pumped unlimited amounts of (imaginary) money into Newcastle and any other failing club without end? People hurl blame around but rarely offer any solutions. 

Fact is, even when Kurdi was at the height of his investment, the club got nowhere near the crowd levels to approach sustainability. There's great community work being done in the North East, some of it by the Thunder, and I hope it can be sustained. But like we saw with Skolars, measuring success as having a semi pro club in each area isn't necessarily the right aim. The century old semi-pro system that the heartland clubs have been in isn't always the right goal for everywhere else, and the results as seen in Newcastle, and elsewhere over the decades seems to confirm that. .        

As much as I agree with most of this, expansion is never planned and invested in, just building a team and hoping the owner can somehow build it up and be a star club is a fantasy tbh, Catalans are an amazing example of expansion but we got lucky as I don’t recall them getting much help tbh barring a safety net from relegation for a few years. 

• Like 4

We’re all devastated as Thunder fans. Big investment in the squad the last two seasons and talk of having the foundations laid out. Community game was thriving with funding in a local club setup on there own grounds. This is going to be a big impact locally and magic weekend seemingly trying to be pulled from st James’ when the stats showed high numbers of fans were from the north east. Greatly backed worldcup games at KP. Unfortunately it hasn’t made our own home crowds any bigger apart from the big tv games but the fact we appointment some poor coaches and went full time for some bizarre reason and bought players who were no good and unable to get rid of them this year as they were contracted. We went down. In the end we had some good home wins and we’re looking forward to more our level of league 1. Devastated as we have some very passionate fans and now looking at where to go and what to do next 

• Like 3
  • Sad 5

13 minutes ago, ThunderLeague said:

We’re all devastated as Thunder fans. Big investment in the squad the last two seasons and talk of having the foundations laid out. Community game was thriving with funding in a local club setup on there own grounds. This is going to be a big impact locally and magic weekend seemingly trying to be pulled from st James’ when the stats showed high numbers of fans were from the north east. Greatly backed worldcup games at KP. Unfortunately it hasn’t made our own home crowds any bigger apart from the big tv games but the fact we appointment some poor coaches and went full time for some bizarre reason and bought players who were no good and unable to get rid of them this year as they were contracted. We went down. In the end we had some good home wins and we’re looking forward to more our level of league 1. Devastated as we have some very passionate fans and now looking at where to go and what to do next 

Well I know it’s easier said than done but hopefully the fans can form a new club, even if it’s NCL level. 

• Like 2

I heard a rumour last week that Newcastle were going to give up their academy (and Leigh were set to take it over). I'm hoping that is what the statement is and Newcastle will be in L1 next year.

The work that's been done in the NE over recent years has been great and hopefully doesn't end here.

If the current owner does walk away, would there be scope for the club continuing/reforming like it did (as Gateshead) in 2000? Are there fans who would be willing to give it another shot?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Colin James said:

They possibly should have prevented them going full time two years ago? How much money did that decision cost the club?

Saving the backer's money two years ago wouldn't necessarily have made him any more willing to spend it now.

The underlying problem seems to be that the Rugby League team had been subsidising the Union team and now it isn't. Though I say that as an outsider with incomplete information.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

10 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

I heard a rumour last week that Newcastle were going to give up their academy (and Leigh were set to take it over). I'm hoping that is what the statement is and Newcastle will be in L1 next year.

The work that's been done in the NE over recent years has been great and hopefully doesn't end here.

If the current owner does walk away, would there be scope for the club continuing/reforming like it did (as Gateshead) in 2000? Are there fans who would be willing to give it another shot?

Academy was already announced mate month back 

16 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

https://www.thunderrugby.com/article/737/newcastle-thunder-academy-update-

1 minute ago, Mathius Hellwege said:

After the great attendance at the WC in Newcastle three Tonga games in the M62 corridor

how you limit your sport and deny any hope even in a near-by region

How many of those at the World Cup game were from Newcastle and how many were on a day out?

• Like 1

Damn, really sad news if true. I always thought there was great potential in Newcastle. Always got good attendances at Magic and internationals. Locals I talked to at these events always really enjoyed their experience and always said they'd keep up following the game. Hard if they don't have a local club. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

Not scientific, but apart from the people I went with, all the other accents I could hear were Geordies.

Where are these Geordies at Championship games?

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Griff said:

How many of those at the World Cup game were from Newcastle and how many were on a day out?

Most if not all around us in the lower Leazes were from the North East if accents are anything to go by.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gav Wilson said:

I'm absolutely gutted to hear about this. Magic Weekends, RLWC games, the NE academy pathways. All that hard work for nothing. Rugby League is in a tough spot, League 1 is surely not sustainable now.

All part of the grand plan for those who run this great game

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

Another nail in the coffin for the game as a whole. 

Its sad, i always hoped they could grow as a club up there. Had great trips up there every time we have played them.  Such a shame they have never managed to get decent numbers through the gates and bums on seats. You have to feel for the supporters that are there week in week out. 

I hope that they can rebuild in a similar way thay York have done but as we all know it comes down to cash. There is less and less of that in the sport as each new tv deal is signed.

How on earth does League 1 run with only 8  teams. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

What a silly question.

It nevertheless demonstrates that support for a national or international event doesn't necessarily mean that there will be huge queues for season tickets at your local Championship club.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

What a silly question.

It’s not really. Having lots of locals at one off events like internationals or Magic is great, but none of that pays Thunder’s bills. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

5 minutes ago, Ragingbull said:

Another nail in the coffin for the game as a whole. 

Its sad, i always hoped they could grow as a club up there. Had great trips up there every time we have played them.  Such a shame they have never managed to get decent numbers through the gates and bums on seats. You have to feel for the supporters that are there week in week out. 

I hope that they can rebuild in a similar way thay York have done but as we all know it comes down to cash. There is less and less of that in the sport as each new tv deal is signed.

How on earth does League 1 run with only 8  teams. 

This worries me too as can’t put 8 teams in champ as too many games, but can’t leave 8 teams with only 7 home games unless they play each other 4 times which would mean 28 games which wouldn’t be too much but would fans get fed up quickly seeing same teams all the time. 

• Like 2