Newcastle Thunder

1 hour ago, Angelic Cynic said:

They have used a rugby union club stadium in the past.Forget which one.

I was interested to find this - https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/other-sport/rugby-league/gateshead-thunder-new-grounds-hope-1366011

Since then,that soccer club was taken over and improved on and off the field.Helped by the opportunity of promotion being available and attendances increasing.

https://www.stadiumsolutions.co.uk/news/stadium-solutions-constructing-cutting-edge-stand-at-south-shields-fc/

Nostalgia,history and heritage can be mentioned - to accompany a name change

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Shields_(rugby_league)#:~:text=South Shields were founded in,for the 1902–03 season.

Be good as the name Newcastle is now synonymous with Saudi and the despotic regime - South Shields known for the long history of the first Muslims in England,from The Yemen,the people snd country recently massacred by Saudi.

( Best not mention which country made the weapons of mass destruction )

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Shields#:~:text=South Shields has been home,in Hull%2C Liverpool and Cardiff.

South Shields Thunder.

The owner of the soccer club recently publicly stated he is selling the club due to illness.

Always thought Gypsy Green Recreation Stadium would be ideal for Rugby on the South Shields Coast ...reminds me of a mini Win Stadium.

Edited by EggFace

43 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

Largely confirmation of what some Newcastle fans have posted here, but good news nonetheless.

Hopefully they can make the progress they need to in the next month.

Less than that.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

7 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

They have used a rugby union club stadium in the past.Forget which one.

I was interested to find this - https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/other-sport/rugby-league/gateshead-thunder-new-grounds-hope-1366011

Since then,that soccer club was taken over and improved on and off the field.Helped by the opportunity of promotion being available and attendances increasing.

https://www.stadiumsolutions.co.uk/news/stadium-solutions-constructing-cutting-edge-stand-at-south-shields-fc/

Nostalgia,history and heritage can be mentioned - to accompany a name change

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Shields_(rugby_league)#:~:text=South Shields were founded in,for the 1902–03 season.

Be good as the name Newcastle is now synonymous with Saudi and the despotic regime - South Shields known for the long history of the first Muslims in England,from The Yemen,the people snd country recently massacred by Saudi.

( Best not mention which country made the weapons of mass destruction )

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Shields#:~:text=South Shields has been home,in Hull%2C Liverpool and Cardiff.

South Shields Thunder.

The owner of the soccer club recently publicly stated he is selling the club due to illness.

I watched that 2012 Gateshead-Barrow game at Filtrona Park, which, as you say, has been improved greatly since. Barrow won 40-18. The crowd was 398.

Edited by Hopping Mad
  • Like 1

On 25/10/2023 at 15:17, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

You might not, but I'd suggest that - like most things - it's better than death. 

Just because dual reg has been done badly in the past, does not mean a much more formal model where a side operates as the official 'farm team' of a Super League club might not. It does in many other sports, and many other countries. As with many things in rugby league, in the past it has been done in a half thought through, unstructured way without clearly defined roles, responsibilities and pathway goals. The 'junior' club has just seen it as a way to get a better player for a few weeks, and the 'senior' club has just seen it as better game time for them but making no real development commitment in return.

To be clear, I don't propose dual reg. I'd instead propose an ownership model, where the role of the 1st and 2nd teams in one single organisation was very clear. If that enables us to have a talent pathway in the North East, when that market cannot commercially support a professional team of its own, then I'd see that as a good thing. 

Ok i get where you're coming from. However it would take a lot of convincing by a lot of discarded talent to join again as they've probably been told "it won't be like that next season" by the Thunder management for the past 4 to 5 years. For some that is the time for their progression from academy to 1st team and this has been blocked at the last hurdle for the sake of some rank poor talent been foisted upon us from SL teams. Yes a club is better than none but would be happy with a team in the bottom half of NL1 made up of local players rather than be the offshoot of some SL club. I understand why the owner lost his patience as the complete abuse of his money and the self-entitlement of so many of the M62 lads particularly during the season when we were full time was there for all to see.

On 13/10/2023 at 16:30, SUPERSTUD said:

Dual reg is an awful awful system. IMHO it is often mates looking after mates. Like a coach at a champ or league one club might be a mate of a SL coach or they may be a retired player associated with a bigger club. Lower club takes a few on as favour resulting in local lads etc being booted out of the team. Long term has massive impact re the overall development and sustainability of a club. Word soon gets around and no local wants to touch the club. Also affects attendances when people get to know the distainfull way in which the lower club is operating. 

Could not agree more. The abuse of dual reg with SL players of rank poor quality has seen Thunder loose at least 3 years of academy talent as there is little point when your place gets taken week after week under the excuse " that they are in a full time environment". True but many lacking in basic skills and application as they can leave and return home next week. Cant believe that money hasn't changed hands for some of the players have been sent!

• Like 3

On 13/10/2023 at 14:25, Damien said:

No more than anyone else. That's the rules, unfortunately. What about their scholarship programme and u15s, did they block people through those too?

Not so sure what you mean by u15s as these are not first team ready. What I am referring to is local players either in academy or reserves. Some of these had repped their country at U16 and U18 and had been offered terms by SL clubs but Thunder chose to pick SL dual reg above them. These players were offered the role of match day mascot or water carrier and watched from the sideline as we slid to another defeat wondering what they had to do to get a place. I fear that Thunder have lost at least 3 years of their academy set up who have either been lost to the game or other clubs!

19 minutes ago, NETIGER said:

Ok i get where you're coming from. However it would take a lot of convincing by a lot of discarded talent to join again as they've probably been told "it won't be like that next season" by the Thunder management for the past 4 to 5 years. For some that is the time for their progression from academy to 1st team and this has been blocked at the last hurdle for the sake of some rank poor talent been foisted upon us from SL teams. Yes a club is better than none but would be happy with a team in the bottom half of NL1 made up of local players rather than be the offshoot of some SL club. I understand why the owner lost his patience as the complete abuse of his money and the self-entitlement of so many of the M62 lads particularly during the season when we were full time was there for all to see.

Yes I hear you, must have been very annoying. Either you're a development club, or you want to do whatever it takes to win in the short term. It's impossible to be the former if you act like the latter. In a proper partnership agreement, the 'senior' club would be annoyed if the 'junior' club prioritised winning games with some more experienced players over developing the next generation of talent, because they'd be the beneficiary of that talent down the track. 

I'm sure there's no time to do something like this in Thunder's case now, just think it's a shame because that sort of model might work. 

• Like 2

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

10 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Yes I hear you, must have been very annoying. Either you're a development club, or you want to do whatever it takes to win in the short term. It's impossible to be the former if you act like the latter. In a proper partnership agreement, the 'senior' club would be annoyed if the 'junior' club prioritised winning games with some more experienced players over developing the next generation of talent, because they'd be the beneficiary of that talent down the track. 

I'm sure there's no time to do something like this in Thunder's case now, just think it's a shame because that sort of model might work. 

I would say that the only dual reg player that made any sense was Mickey Lewis. He was obviously way above what we had coming through and his place was easy to justify. The rest were not and that's a long list. I just feel for the lads that Thunder have lost to the game and those coming through for which they see no point in continuing with RL. Like I said I think they grew sick of the same story year after year no matter who was in charge!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, NETIGER said:

Not so sure what you mean by u15s as these are not first team ready. What I am referring to is local players either in academy or reserves. Some of these had repped their country at U16 and U18 and had been offered terms by SL clubs but Thunder chose to pick SL dual reg above them. These players were offered the role of match day mascot or water carrier and watched from the sideline as we slid to another defeat wondering what they had to do to get a place. I fear that Thunder have lost at least 3 years of their academy set up who have either been lost to the game or other clubs!

Exactly why Academy coaches should be the best coaches.

The standard is slipping and no one appears interested except those allegedly wanting a great product for broadcast revenue of Super League games.

Lewis,and others,seem to make greater progression away from Super League Academy and Reserve sides.

Yet the 'elite ' clubs benefit by 'running' reserve and Academy sides.

• Like 1

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

16 minutes ago, Expatknight said:

looks like York have signed another Thunder player, that's two in two days, the way it's going Thunder won't have anyone left from this season if they are going to re-form for next season.

You can't expect players to wait to see if a club that might not trade next season will offer them a contract.

• Like 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

46 minutes ago, Expatknight said:

looks like York have signed another Thunder player, that's two in two days, the way it's going Thunder won't have anyone left from this season if they are going to re-form for next season.

In fairness these two deals were done long before Thunder announced their withdrawal. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is great news:

NEWCASTLE THUNDER General Manager Keith Christie has paid tribute to former Semore Kurdi as the League One club prepares to potentially re-enter the rugby league pyramid in the third tier.

The north east club shocked the rugby league fraternity when they announced that Thunder would be withdrawing from League One following financial issues.

However, with former owner Semore Kurdi taking all of Newcastle’s debt with him following his exit from the club, Newcastle have a more stable base to put forward a business model to the RFL.

https://www.totalrl.com/newcastle-thunder-completely-debt-free-following-ex-owners-gift-as-league-one-club-prepares-to-re-enter-rugby-league-under-new-ownership/

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Damien said:

This is great news:

NEWCASTLE THUNDER General Manager Keith Christie has paid tribute to former Semore Kurdi as the League One club prepares to potentially re-enter the rugby league pyramid in the third tier.

The north east club shocked the rugby league fraternity when they announced that Thunder would be withdrawing from League One following financial issues.

However, with former owner Semore Kurdi taking all of Newcastle’s debt with him following his exit from the club, Newcastle have a more stable base to put forward a business model to the RFL.

https://www.totalrl.com/newcastle-thunder-completely-debt-free-following-ex-owners-gift-as-league-one-club-prepares-to-re-enter-rugby-league-under-new-ownership/

Fair play to Kurdi. I was quite scathing of him earlier but it seems he's done the right thing in terms of seeking a buyer and handing over the club debt free. Good luck to them.

Interesting also that their preference is to play in L1, and think moving a single league holds risks for a number of clubs.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Toby Chopra said:

Fair play to Kurdi. I was quite scathing of him earlier but it seems he's done the right thing in terms of seeking a buyer and handing over the club debt free. Good luck to them.

Interesting also that their preference is to play in L1, and think moving a single league holds risks for a number of clubs.

To be fair, he's getting none of that debt back and never was. So great he is helping the club but hardly the big gesture suggested.

38 minutes ago, Leonard said:

To be fair, he's getting none of that debt back and never was. So great he is helping the club but hardly the big gesture suggested.

True, but if he's effectively handing back the club in the state he took it on - and is personally a few hundred thousand quid lighter - you can't ask much more than that.

• Like 4