2024 Transfer Tracker

41 minutes ago, EagleEyePie said:

If there's a slight concern it's the fact that the squad is very prop heavy. We're not exactly blessed with depth anywhere else except perhaps hooker. Injuries in the backs or at second row could test us.

You’re right there’s barely an outside back spare. 

4 hours ago, MZH said:

He was heavily linked with Hull before we eventually signed Nu Brown. The general opinion was that he was very raw and a bit of a maverick but had a lot of pace and could thrive in the less structured environment of the SL.

Sailor is a decent player, a little raw (not very). He’s a step up on O’Brien although they will miss the kicking game. He’s a dynamic full back though and I’d expect him to go well 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Sailor is a decent player, a little raw (not very). He’s a step up on O’Brien although they will miss the kicking game. He’s a dynamic full back though and I’d expect him to go well 

He might be an upgrade individually on O’Brien, but O’Brien was very important to how we played last season, and played just as big a part in our long winning run as any of the players that made the Dream Team selection. 

I’d rather we use the quota spot to get a new right winger to be honest 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, phiggins said:

He might be an upgrade individually on O’Brien, but O’Brien was very important to how we played last season, and played just as big a part in our long winning run as any of the players that made the Dream Team selection. 

I’d rather we use the quota spot to get a new right winger to be honest 

Sailor can definitely play on the wing, and the switch to fullback when O’Brien is done.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NRLandSL said:

Sailor can definitely play on the wing, and the switch to fullback when O’Brien is done.

I didn't know to much about Sailor and so googled it, I was surprised as I thought he was a young lad only to learn that he is in fact 25years old and since making his NRL debut in '19 he has only made 9 appearances.

I have noticed that you are very enthusiastic about all players you mention, nothing wrong with that, so my question is why are you so confident he can do as you claim, is it just a feeling you have?

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

I didn't know to much about Sailor and so googled it, I was surprised as I thought he was a young lad only to learn that he is in fact 25years old and since making his NRL debut in '19 he has only made 9 appearances.

I have noticed that you are very enthusiastic about all players you mention, nothing wrong with that, so my question is why are you so confident he can do as you claim, is it just a feeling you have?

Firstly he was battiling a court case for the last few years so he hasn’t been able to play, but he was found not guilty at the start of the year and was signed by Brisbane. I agree I am very hyperbolic when I talk about players, but I am just trying to get my point across and praise some less reputable players. There are a lot of talented players around who never get a mention by fans or media, I just want to get those names floating around.

About Sailor he’s only played 4 games for Brisbane this year but when he has played he has looked right on par with the rest of the team every game and definitely looks at home in first grade. In the QLD cup he has been one of the best players in the comp. In 14 games he scored 6 tries got 20 try assists and averaged 200 run Metres. 

For me Tristan Sailor has all the ingredients to be a star fullback in the future and I truly mean that. I could be wrong but from my point of view he has been very impressive when he has gotten opportunities.

Also if he is anything like his dad he won’t be half bad.

Edited by NRLandSL
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Click said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/67687543

London have made another signing - Josh Rourke, former Salford and Whitehaven player. Can't say I know anything about him, mentions that he won a few end of season awards at Whitehaven which shows he is at least in form, but it is another signing from the Championship. 

He was absolutely superb for Whitehaven last year in what turned out to be a difficult season.

Was unsure about him at first, but when Freeman got injured at Barrow and he started getting a run of games, he just got better and better. Decent goal kicker too

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

7 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Sailor's absence has been due to fighting a legal case and he has been fully cleared.

I haven't seen much of him in action, but he certainly has talent. What he now needs is game time, and maybe the other side of the planet will be a psychologically less toxic environment.

Despite his age, the missed years means he's relatively early in his career and lacking the physical wear and tear you'd expect of a player who debuted nearly 5 years ago. Plus he should feel he has something to prove.

• Like 3

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

You very rarely hear, the once oft used words, Hello Sailor these days.

Edited by Wollo Wollo Wayoo

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

On 11/12/2023 at 22:31, Click said:

London have made another signing - Josh Rourke, former Salford and Whitehaven player. Can't say I know anything about him, mentions that he won a few end of season awards at Whitehaven which shows he is at least in form, but it is another signing from the Championship. 

That's after signing for Batley in October.

On 11/12/2023 at 22:31, Click said:

He was excellent in a very average team last year and deserves a go at SL. Whether he is ready is another matter but he works hard; has a high level of skill and can definitely kick goals.

All of his tries from last season will be on the Whitehaven social media pages. 

• Like 1

Salford sign Joe Mellor. Paul Rowley once again keeping his scouting to the WN postcodes. I'd love to see a comparison of how many appearances the current Salford squad have made collectively for Salford and Leigh, reckon those numbers would be pretty close with this seasons signings and outgoings.

1 hour ago, LeytherRob said:

Salford sign Joe Mellor. Paul Rowley once again keeping his scouting to the WN postcodes. I'd love to see a comparison of how many appearances the current Salford squad have made collectively for Salford and Leigh, reckon those numbers would be pretty close with this seasons signings and outgoings.

Maybe Joe after playing second fiddle to Ben last season thought he had the starting spot,the signing of Matty may have piffed him off. 

15 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Maybe Joe after playing second fiddle to Ben last season thought he had the starting spot,the signing of Matty may have piffed him off. 

Not sure Joe would have expected to be the starting standoff at 33. Salford have probably offered him a longer contract. He will be missed for the impact off the bench.

Edited by Andrewj
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Andrewj said:

Not sure Joe would have expected to be the starting standoff at 33. Salford have probably offered him a longer contract. He will be missed for the impact off the bench.

Ben McNamara has been signed to fill the bench hooker spot, so it's unlikely Mellor would've got much game time this year

• Like 1

Pretty shrewd signing by Salford I reckon. Always thought we looked a more composed team when he was on. Ipape got all the plaudits for the explosive plays, but Mellot’s passing off the floor was much better and he didn’t miss many tackles either. 
And he’s a better stand off than the player picked ahead of him, purely for goalkicking last season. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, phiggins said:

Pretty shrewd signing by Salford I reckon. Always thought we looked a more composed team when he was on. Ipape got all the plaudits for the explosive plays, but Mellot’s passing off the floor was much better and he didn’t miss many tackles either. 
And he’s a better stand off than the player picked ahead of him, purely for goalkicking last season. 

If Sailor is a done deal, then Mellor drops to 4th or 5th half back, assuming Sailor to FB with OB and Zak cover. Hooker we have Edwin, Smith and McNamara. Mellor was brilliant off the bench last year imo and I am glad he had the past 2 great years to compensate for 21 before leaving us. Wish him well at Salford

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LeytherRob said:

Ben McNamara has been signed to fill the bench hooker spot, so it's unlikely Mellor would've got much game time this year

Swaping a player that never let you down last year, for one thats tried to get establised as a SL half back  but couldnt quite crack it, is a backwards step which ever way u dress it up.

"Thanks for sticking with us Joe, but we cant afford to pay u again and keep under the cap. We are going to try and unproven kid, pay him less than you and hope it works out. Dont worry though ive had a word at salford, they will take you"

Edited by Ragingbull

1 hour ago, Ragingbull said:

Swaping a player that never let you down last year, for one thats tried to get establised as a SL half back  but couldnt quite crack it, is a backwards step which ever way u dress it up.

"Thanks for sticking with us Joe, but we cant afford to pay u again and keep under the cap. We are going to try and unproven kid, pay him less than you and hope it works out. Dont worry though ive had a word at salford, they will take you"

As heartless as it seems, isn't that kind of what most sports teams do across multiple different sports? It's kind of part of being employed in sport, especially professional sport.

1 hour ago, Ragingbull said:

He’s left a one year deal to take up a 2 year, and affording him is not a factor

2 hours ago, Ragingbull said:

He never let us down but was only getting 15 mins a game. He’ll have wanted more game time, and got himself a super league deal for 2025 at the same time. Leigh will miss him, but it’s a logical move for all parties 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Ragingbull said:

We're swapping a 33 year old back up half/hooker for a 22 year old back up half/hooker. If you can't see the long term logic in that I can't help you.

12 hours ago, Andrewj said:

Not so sure Joe has the body of a typical 33 year old, looks like one of those who can squeeze more years out than others, when coming on as a replacement last year his enthusiasm in defence lifted those around him for that he will be sorely missed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1