Sat 4th Nov: Pacific Championship - Final: New Zealand v Australia KO 4am UK Time (Sky)

Who will win?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• New Zealand by 13 points or more
    • New Zealand by 7 to 12 points
    • New Zealand by 1 to 6 points
    • Australia by 1 to 6 points
    • Australia by 7 to 12 points
    • Australia by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/11/23 at 04:30

1 minute ago, graveyard johnny said:

not a mention of the biggest defeat in the kangaroos history on the BBC website - not even recognition the match took place WTF?

Sky sports app doesn't even have the fixture listed and they are showing the game.

• Sad 3

4 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Sky sports app doesn't even have the fixture listed and they are showing the game.

Whatever service delivers the fixtures/results for the Pacific Championships, it doesn't seem to be one that the apps/data scrapers necessarily use.

Which is bizarre.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

38 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Sounds like a lot of people are complaining about the venue and subsequent poor crowd, which is obviously disappointing but if Mount Smart wasn’t available what can they do 🤷‍♂️ 

Ended up at over 13 000, pity they didn`t seat a few more of them opposite the cameras, because the grandstand behind them was pretty full.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I've said a few times on here that I thought this was a really strong NZ team and the strongest looking NZ team for quite some time. I thought they performed really well in the World Cup last year and so to see NZ win was no surprise. A huge win like that though is unbelievable. 

• Like 4

I bet the Aussies are going to be smarting over that, and they are going to have to wait 12 months for revenge, funny in a way, a loss like this casts a whole shadow over Origin because Oz is no longer number 1, no matter what the rankings say, so it ain`t the best playing the best, today they have been comprehensively beaten by the Kiwi`s and lost their last tournament.

Now if only the Kiwi`s can beat them again in their next encounter, because the Aussies will come hard, another loss could really dent the Aussies supreme international confidence, and that I believe is three quarters of the challenge to beating them.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

This Australian generation are so very bearable

That`s very kind of you Gordie, so many times we hear that the Aussie players are big-heads.😉

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Sounds like a lot of people are complaining about the venue and subsequent poor crowd, which is obviously disappointing but if Mount Smart wasn’t available what can they do 🤷‍♂️ 

I really think NZs love for rugby is over stated. They struggle with attendances for the national sides in both codes, always have. 

• Confused 1

Being reported in The Sydney Morning Herald:

"The only reason the NZRL moved the game to Hamilton was because the Test schedule was not locked in until the collective bargaining agreement was nailed down. October remains the best time to play Test football – it is foolish to suggest any other time during the year – and 12 months of promotion will help next year.

"Four nations taking part rather than three will also mean there is no rest weekend during the Pacific Championships, which helps the series maintain momentum.

"Australia, New Zealand, Tonga and potentially Fiji will make up the Pacific Championships next year, with international officials hopeful Samoa tour England, and Papua New Guinea, Cook Islands, Lebanon and potentially France round out the tier-two tournament."

Some interesting stuff in there.

Full article if you can open it.

International Rugby League: New Zealand send Australia crashing to their heaviest Test loss (smh.com.au)

• Thanks 3

46 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

not a mention of the biggest defeat in the kangaroos history on the BBC website - not even recognition the match took place WTF?

I appreciate not everyone is going to be crawling round the sports pages of the Guardian online but I’ve just read it covered there.

• Like 1

Amazing result.

Australia didn't actually play that badly which shows just how good New Zealand were.

As soon as they started beating a few tackles in the first half, the Kiwis confidence started to grow and they executed so well in attack.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

the Kiwis confidence started to grow and they executed so well in attack.

Yes was thinking that watching the Kiwi`s during the game, so much about beating the Australian`s is having that belief you are better than them, not getting that belief because you find yourself in front, which we so often see with the Kiwi`s, but going into the game with that belief, I suppose that only comes with winning.

16 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Being reported in The Sydney Morning Herald:

"The only reason the NZRL moved the game to Hamilton was because the Test schedule was not locked in until the collective bargaining agreement was nailed down. October remains the best time to play Test football – it is foolish to suggest any other time during the year – and 12 months of promotion will help next year.

"Four nations taking part rather than three will also mean there is no rest weekend during the Pacific Championships, which helps the series maintain momentum.

"Australia, New Zealand, Tonga and potentially Fiji will make up the Pacific Championships next year, with international officials hopeful Samoa tour England, and Papua New Guinea, Cook Islands, Lebanon and potentially France round out the tier-two tournament."

Some interesting stuff in there.

Full article if you can open it.

International Rugby League: New Zealand send Australia crashing to their heaviest Test loss (smh.com.au)

Foolish to suggest more than an end-of-season  tournament!! The bought-up media sycophants have to say that the disinterested, out-passioned Roos with one foot on the beach will be better next year after better advertising leading up to the 2024 iteration.

Put a mid-season window in there and that could be a super calendar.

20 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Amazing result.

Australia didn't actually play that badly which shows just how good New Zealand were.

As soon as they started beating a few tackles in the first half, the Kiwis confidence started to grow and they executed so well in attack.

I thought Australia were so flat and not up to the fight. Their forwards were dominated and the Kiwi halves executed to put the wingmen in.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

I thought Australia were so flat and not up to the fight. Their forwards were dominated and the Kiwi halves executed to put the wingmen in.

Looked to me like Australia were sent out with the instructions that if they got through their sets, defended well and won the initial arm wrestle then the Kiwis would fall away and the points would come.

When that didn't happen and the Kiwis started breaking tackles, making half breaks and breaks the Kangaroos just kept playing that same style and nothing happened for them while the Kiwis confidence grew and grew.

• Like 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris