New Zealand coach wants more games

10 hours ago, fighting irish said:

Yes, you're right. You've got to start somewhere.

I wish the Welsh RL would set up a dialogue with the USA. A special relationship, including annual fixtures, for mutual developmental benefit.

Here's the key. If games can be arranged at financial break even or above, then the sky's the limit.

I watched the recent Wales A v England Lions under 23 in my home town and the pride felt by our lads and our spectators, was palpable.

There was a healthy crowd and even though we got beaten, the game was incredibly intense, great entertainment and our lads deserved a lot of credit. What we need, to be more competitive is more players to choose from. 

More games of this nature, against similar fledgling nations (USA in particular) would I'm sure, help to stabilise and grow the games in both Nations.

It would I'm certain, increase the number of Welsh clubs in our national competition quite quickly, if the potential of a Welsh cap for representing Wales against prestigious International teams was on offer.  

If the likes of the Dutch, Serbs, Norwegians and Greeks et al can do this, Wales, the US and Canada et al can do it too. Wales and France need to get out of England’s shadow; stop waiting for the RFL to do things for them and organise their affairs themselves. Genuinely want both nations (and the others) to do well. Grasp the chance… 

• Like 7

• 3 months later...

1 minute ago, Mathius Hellwege said:

to be fair "with NRL players" and "especially at the same time than SOO"

To be fair? It's the same difference.

They don't want internationals taking place in season full stop and have removed the break for them. Without NRL players NZ can't play full internationals, nor can any other Pacific side. The likes of James Fisher Harris who is pleading for games certainly can't play.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Damien said:

To be fair? It's the same difference.

They don't want internationals taking place in season full stop and have removed the break for them. Without NRL players NZ can't play full internationals, nor can any other Pacific side. The likes of James Fisher Harris who is pleading for games certainly can't play.

I don’t know why they can’t play internationals on Origin weekends. 

17 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I don’t know why they can’t play internationals on Origin weekends. 

I thought they got rid of origin weekends and play them all midweek now.

It was suggested that this was in part to ensure that NRL clubs continue to play the weekends before and after origin and there is no space in the calendar for mid-season internationals for other countries.

Edited by Barley Mow

20 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

I thought they got rid of origin weekends and play them all midweek now.

It was suggested that this was in part to ensure that NRL clubs continue to play the weekends before and after origin and there is no space in the calendar for mid-season internationals for other countries.

Good point, I forgot about that 🤦‍♂️

Edited by Eddie

If the IRL had a backbone or any power whatsoever they'd create a mandated mid season international break (personally I'd prefer 2) and tell clubs they cannot prevent their players playing for their countries and that if they try, they're association i.e. ARL, RFL etc would get heavily fined.

Alas we don't so I guess I'm wasting valuable forum space.

Edited by sam4731

1 hour ago, sam4731 said:

If the IRL had a backbone or any power whatsoever they'd create a mandated mid season international break (personally I'd prefer 2) and tell clubs they cannot prevent their players playing for their countries and that if they try, they're association i.e. ARL, RFL etc would get heavily fined.

Alas we don't so I guess I'm wasting valuable forum space.

It’s not a matter of backbone. The IRL have a pair of twos and the NRL holds a Royal Flush. 

• Like 4

I am really bored of Origin. It takes too long and is too disruptive of the NRL season. I am very much in the minority here.

Unfortunately there is no real answer to satisfy all stakeholders. Certainly not one to satisfy the NRL it seems and this is understandable.

The closest I could conceive to be adequate for the NRL would be to shut down the club game for a fortnight and host consecutive international weekends immediately after three back to back mid week Origins. The Origin becomes a Kangaroo selection, who will play the winner of a match between the top two ranked international sides from the weekend immediately after SOO III.

The problem with this format would mean the NRL is without much of its top 20% of players for four weeks and then the season shuts down for another two weekends. Six weeks of NRL with either many of their best players missing or not playing games at all.

There is no obvious solution.

• Like 2

We do need 2 international windows, because that means England can have meaningful fixtures every year here, and every year in the Southern hemisphere.

That everyone else can't do that while the Aussies have Origin is clearly deliberate, and one of the reasons many like me feel the NRL/Australians are deliberately suppressing the international game so that they can pretend Origin is "the pinnacle" of the game. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sports Prophet said:

I am really bored of Origin. It takes too long and is too disruptive of the NRL season. I am very much in the minority here.

Unfortunately there is no real answer to satisfy all stakeholders. Certainly not one to satisfy the NRL it seems and this is understandable.

The closest I could conceive to be adequate for the NRL would be to shut down the club game for a fortnight and host consecutive international weekends immediately after three back to back mid week Origins. The Origin becomes a Kangaroo selection, who will play the winner of a match between the top two ranked international sides from the weekend immediately after SOO III.

The problem with this format would mean the NRL is without much of its top 20% of players for four weeks and then the season shuts down for another two weekends. Six weeks of NRL with either many of their best players missing or not playing games at all.

I'd be happy with this. I'm not even particularly fussed on if the Aussies want a game and it's just a case of 3 internationals over the SOO weeks. This is what the previous NRL administration was after moving towards and makes so much sense. It benefits everyone, Australia keeps SOO, the other countries get games and RL gets far more internationals. The NRL even suffers anyway during SOO and plenty moan about how it affects the competition.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, Damien said:

I'd be happy with this. I'm not even particularly fussed on if the Aussies want a game and it's just a case of 3 internationals over the SOO weeks. This is what the previous NRL administration was after moving towards and makes so much sense. It benefits everyone, Australia keeps SOO, the other countries get games and RL gets far more internationals. The NRL even suffers anyway during SOO and plenty moan about how it affects the competition.

This... 

3 breaks, if aussies want to do SOO rather than internationals then go for your life.. but at the moment they are stopping other countries from having any opportunity to do this with their actions.. they can still make sure all eyes are on SOO by having it on a weekday before the "break weekend" as well if they wish I am sure other countries don't want to battle SOO for viewers but it does seem as though its a selfish act from the aussies that its ok for players to play those extra games as long as it benefits them (and before anyone says it i do understand its their comp etc etc) but there is a whole "benefits all will benefit them" argument to this too. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

The problem with that suggestion is origin becomes a selection series and this goes against the NRL agenda to make the NRL the pinnacle.

18 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Solution is:

• Origin to 3 consecutive weekends
  • 3 week mid season international schedule
  • Mid season 9's tournament for NRL/SL teams in their own hemisphere to provide revenue stream and game time for players not involved

Clubs and TV broadcasters get content and revenue still, everyone is happy (except for Phil Gould)

Edited by DoubleD
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Solution is:

• Origin to 3 consecutive weekends
  • 3 week mid season international schedule
  • Mid season 9's tournament for NRL/SL teams in their own hemisphere to provide revenue stream and game time for players not involved

Clubs and TV broadcasters get content and revenue still, everyone is happy (except for Phil Gould)

As has been claimed by others, 9s just doesn’t cut it for me.

It is Mickey Mouse and the fans see right through it.

22 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

As has been claimed by others, 9s just doesn’t cut it for me.

It is Mickey Mouse and the fans see right through it.

It’s a content filler for the international break and provides clubs with revenue streams for the 3 weekly period. Fans absolutely won’t want to see weakened teams put out for league games during this period

• Like 1