England vs Samoa Series

2 hours ago, sam4731 said:

I've said this for years now but if you sold tickets for a tenner at any London ground you are guaranteed at least 40,000. You can't do much in London for a tenner. Advertise it on the tube as a day out for the kids and Bob's your uncle.

15,477 at Headingley last year x£25 (average I'm guessing) =£386,925

Tenner a ticket and you'd only need 38,000 which I think would be extremely achievable.

I think any London ground that holds 38k is going to cost way more than Headingley.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sam4731 said:

I've said this for years now but if you sold tickets for a tenner at any London ground you are guaranteed at least 40,000. You can't do much in London for a tenner. Advertise it on the tube as a day out for the kids and Bob's your uncle.

Tenner a ticket and you'd only need 38,000 which I think would be extremely achievable.

25 minutes ago, Damien said:

I think any London ground that holds 38k is going to cost way more than Headingley.

Yes, I think the suggestion of a tenner is a little basic, but it may be a principle that could work at a different level. 

Looking at England football, for a ticket versus Iceland, they start at £45, and go to £110. 

England RU Autumn internationals start at £99 for the All Blacks, and £45 for Japan. 

I think if RL was going to get in there and aggressively offer themselves as a value alternative to those sports the level could probably be around £25 and still be seen as outstanding value. Maybe even £20. Offer some Premium seats too, but make it dead easy for anyone to get those budget tickets, and don't Micro manage ticket sales to prevent people being able to get seats etc.

And when you do get people in, you have to make it a great event, and that doesn't mean just a good game of Rugby. People expect more. If you are giving people a value sample, you need to wow them so that you convert them into regular fans.

Thebannoyibg thing is that we did adopt this strategy, back in the 90s those games at Wembley were great value and we made a big effort. But we've now wasted that and we're starting again. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yes, I think the suggestion of a tenner is a little basic, but it may be a principle that could work at a different level. 

Looking at England football, for a ticket versus Iceland, they start at £45, and go to £110. 

England RU Autumn internationals start at £99 for the All Blacks, and £45 for Japan. 

I think if RL was going to get in there and aggressively offer themselves as a value alternative to those sports the level could probably be around £25 and still be seen as outstanding value. Maybe even £20. Offer some Premium seats too, but make it dead easy for anyone to get those budget tickets, and don't Micro manage ticket sales to prevent people being able to get seats etc.

And when you do get people in, you have to make it a great event, and that doesn't mean just a good game of Rugby. People expect more. If you are giving people a value sample, you need to wow them so that you convert them into regular fans.

Thebannoyibg thing is that we did adopt this strategy, back in the 90s those games at Wembley were great value and we made a big effort. But we've now wasted that and we're starting again. 

One of the key takeaways I got from the last two London internationals I attended at the Olympic Stadium, which seems an age ago now, is that the southern fans thought it was exceedingly good value and cheap. The prices weren't what we would call cheap or discounted by any stretch, just typical RL event pricing.

I don't think price is the issue for Londoners used to paying Football and RU prices. A lack of games and a lack of awareness, when we do have games, is.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 6

On 26/04/2024 at 23:16, JM2010 said:

It would be easier to include Lebanon in the Pacific Bowl with Fiji, PNG and Cook Islands

The tournament would need a name change first 😉 

22 hours ago, BristolDevonCharlie said:

The Australian government is funding Pacific Champs and that was the reason Troy Grant gave why England couldn't guest in it, so that explains why Lebanon have been excluded. 

Fully understand they are 2/3's a semi-pro team but they are also ranked 9th in the world and are the highest other team available, so if you need a third game they are next cab off the rank. 

As good an opponent they would be, I don’t think the RFL could afford the logistics and player/staff payments required to have Lebanon tour. Lebanon RL certainly can’t.

11 hours ago, Gomersall said:

I’m not sure if I’m reading this wrongly but the GF has often been played on the same weekend as the Manchester marathon.

Utd can’t play on that weekend because they can’t guarantee that they only play on the Saturday. But the local area is basically on lockdown from the Friday so they’d do well if they played at home that weekend unless they weed in exceptional circumstances. 

On 26/04/2024 at 08:13, sam4731 said:

I'd honestly take one to the Emirates.

What is people's obsession with that ****ing dusty hellhole dump?

All sporting events thier have appalling atmosphere and they are never going to have any RL scene or playing there

Their human rights record is disgusting 

Short of millions being offered to just do it regardless of the fact it'd be a ***" watch/spectacle i'd avoid it like the plague

Edited by Bedfordshire Bronco
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

What is people's obsession with that ****ing dusty hellhole dump?

All sporting events thier have appalling atmosphere and they are never going to have any RL scene or playing there

Their human rights record is disgusting 

Short of millions being offered to just do it regardless of the fact it'd be a ***" watch/spectacle i'd avoid it like the plague

Cos Spurs have already surrendered most of there free weeks

2 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Cos Spurs have already surrendered most of there free weeks

Huh? Are you saying go to the Emirates because we want it at Spurs but can't? 

I wouldn't want it at Spurs....it'd be quarter full. As my last post a predicted 15k bouncing crowd at Brentford would be lovely 

Edited by Bedfordshire Bronco

8 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Utd can’t play on that weekend because they can’t guarantee that they only play on the Saturday. But the local area is basically on lockdown from the Friday so they’d do well if they played at home that weekend unless they weed in exceptional circumstances. 

I think it’s already been established earlier in the thread that it’s the half marathon I was getting confused with the full marathon.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Damien said:

One of the key takeaways I got from the last two London internationals I attended at the Olympic Stadium, which seems an age ago now, is that the southern fans thought it was exceedingly good value and cheap. The prices weren't what we would call cheap or discounted by any stretch, just typical RL event pricing.

I don't think price is the issue for Londoners used to paying Football and RU prices. A lack of games and a lack of awareness, when we do have games, is.

I don't disagree, however one of the big issues we have is that we usually start at around £25, which is very reasonable as you say, but it can sometimes be difficult to get those tickets. We mess about so much with them it's a joke. 

But the point is probably linked to your last line, and in another post I make the point that we start from scratch every time, meaning we have to go back to the drawing board like this. 

Whilst paying decent money for tickets in London may not be a massive issue, they aren't stupid, and we can't charge premium prices for a less than premium product - we saw that in the world cup - the public basically ignored the tournament and stuck two finger sup to the arrogant organisers. 

So, I agree, we don't need to give them away, but getting that price point right is important.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I don't disagree, however one of the big issues we have is that we usually start at around £25, which is very reasonable as you say, but it can sometimes be difficult to get those tickets. We mess about so much with them it's a joke. 

Equally, it can sometimes be difficult to buy the premium seats. I wanted to be at the top of the lower tier at Emirates - or in the middle tier - but those were sold out. In the end I bought the cheapest seats in the top tier. Imagine my (feigned) surprise when the seats I originally wanted were empty on the day. Not just at Emirates but across the RLWC, it really was an absolute fiasco.

But RLC seem to be doing precisely the same thing for the CCF. Either that or we are on for a massive crowd.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

But the point is probably linked to your last line, and in another post I make the point that we start from scratch every time, meaning we have to go back to the drawing board like this. 

Whilst paying decent money for tickets in London may not be a massive issue, they aren't stupid, and we can't charge premium prices for a less than premium product - we saw that in the world cup - the public basically ignored the tournament and stuck two finger sup to the arrogant organisers. 

So, I agree, we don't need to give them away, but getting that price point right is important.

Ha....£80 tickets in the north stand central for the NZ Vs Ireland game....I bought the cheapest ticket elsewhere and just moved there.....what a ****show the pricing was

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Yes the public did the WC pricing was a disaster of the highest order.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sam4731 said:

Have you factored in the cost of hiring headingley compared to hiring Emirates or spurs stadium. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

I just can’t get my head around the strategy they use time and time again of holding back seats that they would otherwise quite easily sell because they want to micromanage the event. They do this every year for the GF and it frustrates the Hell out of me. I’m now at the stage where if I expect a good attendance and I can’t get the seats I’d like because they are being held back I may not bother.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, sam4731 said:

Are you charging £10 for the kids too? 

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

2 hours ago, Gomersall said:

I just can’t get my head around the strategy they use time and time again of holding back seats that they would otherwise quite easily sell because they want to micromanage the event. They do this every year for the GF and it frustrates the Hell out of me. I’m now at the stage where if I expect a good attendance and I can’t get the seats I’d like because they are being held back I may not bother.

The crazy thing is that for the Grand Final in particular there is no need and the fact the RFL still does this shows a shocking a lack of confidence in their own abilities to sell the event.

The Grand Final consistently gets at least 60k in a 73k capacity stadium for RL. We know the top tier North Stand holds about 5k, which no one picks out of choice and which is nicely unseen on camera, which can be held back if demand allows. That therefore leaves us with about 68k to shift. The vast majority of our crowds are within 90% of this figure, with several exceeding it.

There is simply no need for this level of micromanagement. 

Edited by Damien
  • Like 5