Trinity owner has big plans

2 minutes ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

He's wrong anyway. Agbrigg is not just Asian, but also Polish, and still a good number of what I'll call Old English. There are a fair few Asian fans, mostly casual but they do show an interest, so that's one stereotype gone. However the new bypass (Fox way) will soon contain nearly 2,000 new homes that were not there ten years ago, bringing a whole new mixed demographic. Nearly all are in walking distance, and most will be the sort more likely to be attracted by an A grade stadium, rather than a B or C. That's where the rich pickings are, but nobody is likely to pick a losing team to start supporting, so we need to win our way back to SL. On second thoughts I started watching Trin as a losing team, but that's another story! 

Given the extraordinary size and proximity of this new development, I'd be straight onto the developers for some sponsorship within the club, in exchange for access to a mutual deal. I would be offering one free season ticket per new household, with additional match tickets available for £10 and £5, subject to availability. In Y2, I would offer similar, but only 50% off the season ticket, with the additional match prices staying the same.

1 minute ago, Northern Eel said:

Given the extraordinary size and proximity of this new development, I'd be straight onto the developers for some sponsorship within the club, in exchange for access to a mutual deal. I would be offering one free season ticket per new household, with additional match tickets available for £10 and £5, subject to availability. In Y2, I would offer similar, but only 50% off the season ticket, with the additional match prices staying the same.

Can't agree with that, freebies and offers like that devalue the club, game, product and annoy ST holders. So a big NO from me with one exception, offer family deals where kids under twelve go free, that one I would go for, so long as it's properly monitored. Give the parents something to do with the family, and get the kids when they are young. Even if only 25% stick with it long term it's a winner, and even those who don't will end up as casuals who will attend the big games.

Just now, Kirmonds pouch said:

Can't agree with that, freebies and offers like that devalue the club, game, product and annoy ST holders. So a big NO from me with one exception, offer family deals where kids under twelve go free, that one I would go for, so long as it's properly monitored. Give the parents something to do with the family, and get the kids when they are young. Even if only 25% stick with it long term it's a winner, and even those who don't will end up as casuals who will attend the big games.

I know where you are coming from, but this is an exceptional situation that the club could cash in on in the short term and prosper from in the long term. That development is akin to a brand new large village within minutes of the ground. That is not a frequent 'gift' that clubs receive. Would season ticket holders continue to be annoyed if from that the club generated long-term buy-in from 100 fans who would go on to pour £100s of quid into the club in subsequent years and bolster the playing budget. 

These boards are rammed with ridicule of the RFLs abilities to generate interest in the game and bring crowds to games. The problem with the kids go free idea is that it requires a parent to commit to taking them. If you offer 5,000 tickets to school kids in Wakefield on that basis, how many do you think will take them up? Look at Bradford; they gave tickets away like confetti and hardly anyone used them.

1 hour ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

He's wrong anyway. Agbrigg is not just Asian, but also Polish, and still a good number of what I'll call Old English. There are a fair few Asian fans, mostly casual but they do show an interest, so that's one stereotype gone. However the new bypass (Fox way) will soon contain nearly 2,000 new homes that were not there ten years ago, bringing a whole new mixed demographic. Nearly all are in walking distance, and most will be the sort more likely to be attracted by an A grade stadium, rather than a B or C. That's where the rich pickings are, but nobody is likely to pick a losing team to start supporting, so we need to win our way back to SL. On second thoughts I started watching Trin as a losing team, but that's another story! 

Agbrigg now is a world apart from the area that fed belle vue with thousands of fans years ago - its a fact 

• Sad 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

As a fan of 40 years, it’s been a tough watch at times & I’m still getting my head around what is happening to my club. Hopefully it’s not another false dawn, but the signs do look promising.

There’s been a hard core of followers these last few years but there is still a lot of latent support for the team around the city, it’s just being an object of derision for that long it will take time to win people over. The new stand is a good start! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, M j M said:

Do you mean walk out and not pay the players?

I hope and expect the new Wakey owner will be more serious than Beaumont.

You don’t think he’s serious? He’s spent millions of pounds of his own money and turned his local team into winners. He also does a lot of great charity work. 

5 minutes ago, Eddie said:

You don’t think he’s serious? He’s spent millions of pounds of his own money and turned his local team into winners. He also does a lot of great charity work. 

Personally I find owners who don't grandstand and proclaim how great they are to be somewhat preferable, especially if that owner has a history of dubious behaviour. Let the players and coaches do the talking.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

Im only half Joking, DB has done a great job at Leigh last season I’d argue that he hasn’t done anything of real note to SL though

Unfortunately, what DB and individuals at the vast majority of other clubs do for SL is finance a full time environment, given the reducing returns from TV deals. We're not far off being a franchise competition in all but name. 

16 hours ago, Northern Eel said:

I’d be wary of relying on a bunch of new houses to provide a crowd boost, although it’s potentially a good thing.

I’m reminded of an old mate who bought a pub in a quiet area, but he knew there was going to be a big housing development built there in the near future. He was thinking about hundreds of potential new customers…but all that happened was that the people who bought the houses were maxed out paying for mortgages etc etc and had very little spare cash. In fact, it ended up costing him money as he tried various things to get people in (2 for 1 drinks, free food etc) and they just used it as a free lunch! 

Edited by The Masked Poster

18 hours ago, Eddie said:

Good luck to him and them. If Wakey and Toulouse, or anyone else for that matter can step up, there’s a strong argument for a 14 team SL. 

A 14 club SL is nailed on. Why else do you think Bradford suddenly appeared in 14th position in the IMG ratings? 🤔

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Ovenden Grunt said:

A 14 club SL is nailed on. Why else do you think Bradford suddenly appeared in 14th position in the IMG ratings? 🤔

I really hope so, but I still don’t think the existing clubs will allow it as their TV revenue would drop. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

Agbrigg now is a world apart from the area that fed belle vue with thousands of fans years ago - its a fact 

Is it really. Clearly you've never been or know nothing about the city.

One. Agbrigg is the HUB of the Asian community in the area, that's true, but shock horror they don't all live there. I'd estimate they make up 10-20% of the areas actual population. So yes, the ethnic mix has changed a bit since the sixties, where hasn't, but it's hardly a ghetto, and is as open to RL as anywhere else.

Two. The clubs core support has never come from Agbrigg, certainly not in it's thousands, not even in the sixties, it's actually quite a small area. Lupset, Flanshaw, Alverthorpe, Portobello and Eastmoor (all the big old Council estates) are the real hotbeds, and they definitely haven't changed as much.

It's all there to be had, and I see no reason why you couldn't entice any of the ethnic groups (including whites) if we try hard and win games. It's not the changes in demographics that causes problems, it's a change in expectations. The glamour of the Premier League is what new people to any sport now expect, and that is incredibly difficult to compete with. Luckily there are no top flight soccer teams around Wakefield at present, so now is our big chance to win a few back. We couldn't do that with the old BV but we can now. Put it this way, I reckon that should this be a promotion year for the Trin, all the new fans will gravitate to the East stand. The North stand will remain steady, but it will be mainly existing fans or returnees. That's' how I see it.

15 hours ago, Eddie said:

I suspect he's spent way more than a million, don't you. How much of that is actually his who knows. But love him or loathe him, he rode the ridicule and got the results, god bless him for that. It's easy to be an armchair critic, but as someone who's been involved with the running of both Fev and Trinity in the past, it's an almost impossible task. Even if he does come a cropper, he's put a big smile on the face of a lot of Leigh fans, and anyway the clubs usually survive even if the owner don't, so who cares.

19 hours ago, Northern Eel said:

I know where you are coming from, but this is an exceptional situation that the club could cash in on in the short term and prosper from in the long term. That development is akin to a brand new large village within minutes of the ground. That is not a frequent 'gift' that clubs receive. Would season ticket holders continue to be annoyed if from that the club generated long-term buy-in from 100 fans who would go on to pour £100s of quid into the club in subsequent years and bolster the playing budget. 

These boards are rammed with ridicule of the RFLs abilities to generate interest in the game and bring crowds to games. The problem with the kids go free idea is that it requires a parent to commit to taking them. If you offer 5,000 tickets to school kids in Wakefield on that basis, how many do you think will take them up? Look at Bradford; they gave tickets away like confetti and hardly anyone used them.

Well it's his money, so it's up to him, but I'd advise against it if he ever asked me, and I doubt he will. At the end of the day most people in Wakefield are not new to RL as a sport, so this is not a London type scenario. I think the methods needed to get the fans back can be a bit more subtle. I'm not against incentives, but they need to be relative to the area IMHO.

39 minutes ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

Think they will, especially if Toulouse is one of them. Also, absolutely no pint hiring IMG if you don't do as they say.

They wouldn’t even pay their own travel to Toulouse in 2022, I don’t think many SL clubs want them in tbh, as parochial and sad as that is.  And they brought img in to boost their revenue, nothing more nothing less, if IMG want to take it away from them that’s a different story. 

8 minutes ago, Eddie said:

They wouldn’t even pay their own travel to Toulouse in 2022, I don’t think many SL clubs want them in tbh, as parochial and sad as that is.  And they brought img in to boost their revenue, nothing more nothing less, if IMG want to take it away from them that’s a different story. 

The point I was making was that they wouldn't get any SKY money, so that would please the greedy clubs. Nothing more than that really.

3 hours ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

Is it really. Clearly you've never been or know nothing about the city.

One. Agbrigg is the HUB of the Asian community in the area, that's true, but shock horror they don't all live there. I'd estimate they make up 10-20% of the areas actual population. So yes, the ethnic mix has changed a bit since the sixties, where hasn't, but it's hardly a ghetto, and is as open to RL as anywhere else.

Two. The clubs core support has never come from Agbrigg, certainly not in it's thousands, not even in the sixties, it's actually quite a small area. Lupset, Flanshaw, Alverthorpe, Portobello and Eastmoor (all the big old Council estates) are the real hotbeds, and they definitely haven't changed as much.

It's all there to be had, and I see no reason why you couldn't entice any of the ethnic groups (including whites) if we try hard and win games. It's not the changes in demographics that causes problems, it's a change in expectations. The glamour of the Premier League is what new people to any sport now expect, and that is incredibly difficult to compete with. Luckily there are no top flight soccer teams around Wakefield at present, so now is our big chance to win a few back. We couldn't do that with the old BV but we can now. Put it this way, I reckon that should this be a promotion year for the Trin, all the new fans will gravitate to the East stand. The North stand will remain steady, but it will be mainly existing fans or returnees. That's' how I see it.

i think thats just about exactly what  I said

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

52 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

i think thats just about exactly what  I said

I don’t think you did mate, this guy is suggesting that the majority of our fan base is located on the large council estates which are all based mainly on the western side of the city (bar Eastmoor), never mind Ossett, Horbury, Kirkhamgate, Wrenthorpe, Outwood, Stanley, Crofton, Sandal & not forgetting at least half of Normanton. Apologies to those Trinity supporting suburbs & villages I’ve missed off.