The lowest score that's never happened

13 minutes ago, ivans82 said:

Wild guess   1-1 .   

I think you might be right. NRL (actually NSWRL) had a 1-0 and a 0-0 but I'm not aware of a 1-1

This year's GF in the NSW Womens Comp was 1-0

• Like 2

Are we just talking about the top flight, professional, or all levels? I've seen a 1-0 in person in a SL academy game. I also know that 0-0 was reasonably common back when the sport was in its infancy.

I know that once upon a time in rugby a try wasn't actually worth any points at all. It was called a try because it allowed you to "try" to kick a goal. Although I believe that by the time of the Northern Union this had been dropped and tries were worth 3.

I'm going to go for 4-1, but it is purely a guess.

• Like 1

If we are talking modern scoring then I would suggest a scoreline like 5-3 would be very uncommon.

5 would either be 2 penalty goals and a drop or an unconverted try and a drop (yes, technically 5 or 3 drop goals but extremely unlikely).

While 3 is either a penalty and a drop or (more unlikely), 3 drop goals.

Edited by Dunbar

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

10 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

I think you might be right. NRL (actually NSWRL) had a 1-0 and a 0-0 but I'm not aware of a 1-1

This year's GF in the NSW Womens Comp was 1-0

Worth mentioning that the Mounties/Bulldogs women's GF was an enthralling high-quality game.

One of the best games I've ever seen live was 1-0 with 2 minutes to go. Whereupon the mighty Lions iced it with a converted (3-point) try.

Salford 0 Swinton 6. Glorious day, and we managed to dodge the yobs inside and outside the Willows. 

• Like 1

If it was an OZ game you can bet Ken Wilson was involved. Here are the scores from 5 consecutive Newtown games in 1974:

9 - 11,  0-5,  7-3, 5-9, 3-4

Ken also played in the 1-0 and the 0-0

33 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

If we are talking modern scoring then I would suggest a scoreline like 5-3 would be very uncommon.

5 would either be 2 penalty goals and a drop or an unconverted try and a drop (yes, technically 5 or 3 drop goals but extremely unlikely).

While 3 is either a penalty and a drop or (more unlikely), 3 drop goals.

I've found 5-0, 5-2, 5-3, 5-4, 5-5, 5-6, 5-7, 5-8, 5-9, 5-10,

No 5-1 yet. The 5-3 was in 1915: Newtown 5 Easts 3

Then another one in 1915 Wests beat Annandale 5-3 then Annandale beat Souths 3-2

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

If it was an OZ game you can bet Ken Wilson was involved. Here are the scores from 5 consecutive Newtown games in 1974:

Then another one in 1915 Wests beat Annandale 5-3 then Annandale beat Souths 3-2

Yes, much more likely when it was a 3 point try.  As I say, under modern scoring this would be less likely.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

17 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

I present to you... the NRL Scorigami chart!

Apparently there has never been at 2-1 down under...

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, sam4731 said:

Surely it's a scoreline with a 2 point margin with the drop goal being available.

Oddly enough, I looked through the earliest seasons of the NSWRL when there were some very low scores and fied goals were very rare. Some teams didn't kick any in a whole season.

4 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

I remember the game that came close. St George v Parra 2006. 0-0 at HT then 2-1 with only a couple of minutes left then in the midst of some confusion over a ref call, Matt Cooper scored for St George. FT: 8 - 1

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

I remember Halifax beating Hull KR 4 -3, I think, in the CC semi final. If my memory serves me correct Halifax scored a late try from a kick to win it

I reckon 4-3 would be a common score in the first few years of the game.   It was a low scoring brand of game - Manningham scored less than 9 points a game on average yet won the Championship.

2-0, 3-0, 4-0, 5-2, 5-3 would be similarly common.

Most likely candidates are 2-1, 3-1, 4-1 and the like, because 1 was impossible until 1974, by which time the game was more open.

• Like 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Just now, Griff said:

I reckon 4-3 would be a common score in the first few years of the game.   It was a low scoring brand of game - Manningham scored less than 9 points a game on average yet won the Championship.

2-0, 3-0, 4-0, 5-2, 5-3 would be similarly common.

Most likely candidates are 2-1, 3-1, 4-1 and the like, because 1 was impossible until 1974, by which time the game was more open.

This wasn’t in the first few years of the game, it was 1988 I think

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JM2010 said:

This wasn’t in the first few years of the game, it was 1988 I think

It was indeed.  After a 0-0 draw.   I was there.

But we're talking about a score that never happened.

Ever.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

Indeed -  only three teams have scored one in a game. 1-0, 1-8, 1-14.

But this is just NRL games.

1 hour ago, MZH said:

Are we just talking about the top flight, professional, or all levels? I've seen a 1-0 in person in a SL academy game. I also know that 0-0 was reasonably common back when the sport was in its infancy.

I know that once upon a time in rugby a try wasn't actually worth any points at all. It was called a try because it allowed you to "try" to kick a goal. Although I believe that by the time of the Northern Union this had been dropped and tries were worth 3.

I'm going to go for 4-1, but it is purely a guess.

I remember Hull playing Warrington in 1990 or 91 and winning 3-2