Magic Weekend

1 minute ago, redjonn said:

Personally I would scrap Magic, but then again I've always thought that...

I guess I'm more a pragmatist... Newcastle isn't available and apart from my personal choice of scrapping it I have not heard a alternative location suggestion... well some have and its been rubbished...

As to toeing a party line in general... I'm a scouser that would cut off his nose to spit his face...

I certainly agree with scrapping it.

Commiserations for being a scouser. At least you are one of the very few enlightened RL fan ones!

• Like 1

Well I'm soon going to take the 25 minute bus ride Into town have coffee and bite in Trinity hear all the different regional accents commenting about how much safer they feel than in those other cities to the west and how they are so glad they moved to this fine city . 

• Confused 1

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

9 minutes ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

Well I'm soon going to take the 25 minute bus ride Into town have coffee and bite in Trinity hear all the different regional accents commenting about how much safer they feel than in those other cities to the west and how they are so glad they moved to this fine city . 

• Haha 4

15 hours ago, eal said:

I'm not sure these events really increase awareness nearly as much as we think. Just because a comic book convention is in town doesn't mean I'm going to start being interested in comic books.

Comic book convention is a good comparison. I've always looked at Magic Weekend and the Summer Bash as being something where RL fans of all clubs can all get together and have a good time in and around the host ground.

If these events aren't held somewhere conducive to such a purpose, they're a waste of time tbh.

• Like 1

It's been said a various points throughout this thread, and many times over recent years - the biggest problem with these multi-game one-stadium events is nobody understands the purpose. Originally it was definitely linked to expansion - taking the game out of the heartlands to new audiences and hopefully creating a wider pool of interest. I've never seen any evidence that had any impact. So what we've then ended up doing is trying to come up with venues that the existing fans will be willing to attend. Ultimately the crux of it comes down to does the given stadium have enough bars and food outlets nearby which means people can dip in and out of the stadium throughout the day? It's really no deeper than that. The fixtures will have an impact for some, but that's true of all weekly-round games. I last went to Newcastle in 2022 and find it interesting some are pining for another year there - the stadium and city centre in large parts was, by 5pm on the Saturday, an anti-social p*ss up with tokenistic 'entertainment' dotted about, which some are lauding as being a festival of rugby league. Really? Elland Road isn't the answer either but where is? Or do we just accept this is the end of the road for this format of fixtures because....what's the point? 

Edited by hunsletgreenandgold
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Damien said:

I certainly agree with scrapping it.

Commiserations for being a scouser. At least you are one of the very few enlightened RL fan ones!

chuckle...

on a side note your comment of toeing party line had me (strange as it may seem) think of a character in TV...

Brass.... one of the characters George Fairchilds.....

It was a Boss family (Hardacre) v workers family (Fairchilds) type comedy with fore-lock tugging George

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dave W said:

If these events aren't held somewhere conducive to such a purpose, they're a waste of time tbh.

Quite right, this is why the RFL should put the MW out to tender to the local authorities. The amount of money the weekend puts into the local community hotels, restaurants, street vendors, pubs and clubs, local transport etc etc it is worth considering. Forget about the 'fanciful' idea re spreading the game that simply does not happen so just go to the highest bidder. The jamboree in the main attracts fans from the heartlands those with enough money to finance the trip along with a few curios locals, so the RFL should just concentrate on making some money out of it.

That in itself makes it very strange to hold the MW in Leeds alone, if the policy is to just sell out the stadiums do as I suggested earlier and have two venues over the same weekend either side of the pennines accommodating the regional teams, Westside - Wigan, Saints, Warrington, Salford, Leigh and Catalan, Eastside - Leeds, Hull FC, Cas, Hull KR, Huddersfield and London. 3 games each day all televised.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Dave W said:

Comic book convention is a good comparison. I've always looked at Magic Weekend and the Summer Bash as being something where RL fans of all clubs can all get together and have a good time in and around the host ground.

Exactly. Elland Road and Leeds just ticks no boxes. Whilst there have been other poor choices like Anfield at least you could use the expansion angle, no matter how tenuous and if you ignore the lack of work to build on it in Liverpool. At least the Etihad was a marquee, modern stadium and Manchester is not really the heartlands.

This year's version just has nothing going for it and seems to be doing it just for the sake of it because the clubs didn't want to go along with IMG's recommendation.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

I love the Leigh folk since 1971 and I know your comment was tongue in cheek, but  leigh is closer to everything in the town .I think Bramley station is closer to ER 

I'm not making a point in favour (or against) Elland Road - this is just a barely relevant tangent seeing as the subject of Leigh and railways has come up!

Elland Road is closer to six railway stations that the LSV is.

The closest to Elland Road is Cottingley, about a mile away. It is due to be closed when the new White Rose Centre station opens next year - that will be an extra quarter of a mile.

The main Leeds City station is a one and three quarter mile walk/drive from Elland Road and the second closest of the six.

Edited by Barley Mow
  • Like 2

Some of the aspects of what people want from Magic should be filled by internationals, not the club game. Internationals attract neutrals or help expansion clubs more than the club game ever will. An England v Tonga game at Newcastle or in London is a much easier sell than Magic if we are looking for expansion tools. If we are to have a big event in the heartlands at Elland Road then that absolutely should have been the England v Tonga game that was played at Headingley. Ditto if we are talking about Magic at the Etihad.

All of the supposed benefits of Magic can be got in greater ways by doing other things better. Magic is a jack of all trades and master of none solution.

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

I'm not making a point in favour (or against) Elland Road - this is just a barely relevant tangent seeing as the subject of Leigh and railways has come up!

The closest to Elland Road is Cottingley, about a mile away. It is due to be closed when the new White Rose Centre station opens next year - that will be an extra quarter of a mile.

The main Leeds City station is a one and three quarter mile walk/drive from Elland Road and the second closest of the six.

In my opinion, the location of train stations is the least of rugby leagues challenges.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ragingbull said:

If people need something to do in between games they can alway nip out for a wander round Beeston.

Theres also delights such at Burmantofts, Gipton, Chapeltown and Harehills for anyone that wants to see other parts if the city.

Why would they go on a tour of Leeds' suburbs? Makes no sense. Were RL fans taking tours of Gorton, Longsight or Moss side when in Manchester? Or the likes of Walton, Croxteth, Norris Green when in Liverpool? There's a point you're trying to make in there somewhere - i'm just not sure what. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

The main Leeds City station is a one and three quarter mile walk/drive from Elland Road.

Thanks for the information Barley, but really does it effect many people that the nearest 2 stations to the LSV are 3 miles away, it has become more of a 'music hall joke' on this site and I would say the perpetrator's are of about the same age🤔, I have been following my club away firstly with my dad even before the railway closed and still do so 60 years on, and never ever used a rail network to do so save for a few Wembley trips over the years, it is really not a problem.

33 minutes ago, Damien said:

Some of the aspects of what people want from Magic should be filled by internationals, not the club game. Internationals attract neutrals or help expansion clubs more than the club game ever will. An England v Tonga game at Newcastle or in London is a much easier sell than Magic if we are looking for expansion tools. If we are to have a big event in the heartlands at Elland Road then that absolutely should have been the England v Tonga game that was played at Headingley. Ditto if we are talking about Magic at the Etihad.

All of the supposed benefits of Magic can be got in greater ways by doing other things better. Magic is a jack of all trades and master of none solution.

Question Damien, would you expect more than 15,000 to have turned up to ER for the England v Tonga game than did so at Headingley for the 3rd test, does taking it to a football ground in the same city give it a 'Big event' status? 

16 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Why would they go on a tour of Leeds' suburbs? Makes no sense. Were RL fans taking tours of Gorton, Longsight or Moss side when in Manchester? Or the likes of Walton, Croxteth, Norris Green when in Liverpool? There's a point you're trying to make in there somewhere - i'm just not sure what. 

He doesn't like Leeds is his point.

Which is a bit rich coming from Bradford (and I live in Bradford)

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Thanks for the information Barley, but really does it effect many people that the nearest 2 stations to the LSV are 3 miles away, it has become more of a 'music hall joke' on this site and I would say the perpetrator's are of about the same age🤔, I have been following my club away firstly with my dad even before the railway closed and still do so 60 years on, and never ever used a rail network to do so save for a few Wembley trips over the years, it is really not a problem.

I'd don't think I have never raised the Leigh/railways thing on here myself, even as a joke - In fact I recall pointing out that there are stations closer to the LSV than to Hull KR (for example).

In this case, a Leigh fan - @phiggins - responded to someone suggesting Magic Weekend might be held in Leigh by saying "It’s closer to a train station than Elland Road to be fair". A post which you responded to with a "haha" emoji, so you evidently didn't mind it being mentioned.

I agree the proximity of the LSV to a railway station matters very little. The proximity of Elland Road to railway stations, maybe matters a little in the context of this thread. All my post was doing was just pointing out that what phiggins posted isn't correct - but you will note that I began by saying it is a barely relevant tangent seeing as the subject of Leigh and railways has come up.

Edited by Barley Mow

7 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

I'd don't think I have never raised the Leigh/railways thing on here myself, even as a joke - In fact I recall pointing out that there are stations closer to the LSV than to Hull KR (for example).

In this case, a Leigh fan - @phiggins - responded to someone suggesting Magic Weekend might be held in Leigh by saying "It’s closer to a train station than Elland Road to be fair". A post which you responded to with a "haha" emoji, so you evidently didn't mind it being mentioned.

I agree the proximity of the LSV to a railway station matters very little. The proximity of Elland Road to railway stations, maybe matters a little in the context of this thread. All my post was doing was just pointing out that what phiggins posted isn't correct - but you will note that I began by saying it is a barely relevant tangent seeing as the subject of Leigh and railways has come up.

To be fair, my post wasn't remotely close to something to be taken seriously. 

16 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Question Damien, would you expect more than 15,000 to have turned up to ER for the England v Tonga game than did so at Headingley for the 3rd test, does taking it to a football ground in the same city give it a 'Big event' status? 

If I may add my 2 pence. Yes, because it's far easier to get to for people travelling into the city than Headingley. I'd hazard a guess 15k at Headingley was mainly people from Leeds, considering everybody to the South, East and West of Leeds would proably have found it easier to go to Hudds. ER is right next to the main motorway links from those directions. 

Edited by hunsletgreenandgold

17 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yes I would and I would have only had 1 West Yorkshire venue too. It wouldn't be a case of doing that and also having Huddersfield. It would be the match to go to in West Yorkshire at the biggest venue in West Yorkshire. 

Edited by Damien

Couldn't the MW at Elland Road be a way of generating new fans from Yorkshire?

There are thousands of people in Yorkshire that will have never been to a RL Match. If we can target these and they like it, they will aso have a local team to support in the future.

Maybe not was intended originally for the MW but could work out well.

• Haha 1