Super League 2024 Season Opener

I’d love to see the Hull Derby and Wigan vs Leigh on the opening weekend. Potential for two huge crowds and they have a loop fixture against each other, so get one done and dusted straight away, when you’ll likely get the biggest crowds possible. There should be plenty of optimism at Leeds and Wire as well, so I’d be looking to give them home ties. Try and start the season with a real bang. 

3 minutes ago, The 4 of Us said:

If the RFL are in charge of the decision , likely Saints V Wigan at Pilkington Recs.

If the RFL are involved, anything less than a quadruple header at Headingley is unlikely.

"Look no empty seats, that's gotta count for something right... RIGHT?!?!"

If anything the first 2 rounds should be made up of "unattractive" fixtures because they will be overcome by the first "proper game" of the season effect. First round games usually go well, but that is also because Rugby League has this inherent problem of being unable to market more than one/a few things at once, so marketing the second home game rarely starts before the first game's gates have opened.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Hopie said:

If anything the first 2 rounds should be made up of "unattractive" fixtures because they will be overcome by the first "proper game" of the season effect. First round games usually go well, but that is also because Rugby League has this inherent problem of being unable to market more than one/a few things at once, so marketing the second home game rarely starts before the first game's gates have opened.

That feels like a typical RFL strategy so I wouldn’t be surprised. It’s a huge risk that. I look at my suggestion of Wigan vs Leigh. I think it would get around 19,000-20,000 on. That same fixture in the middle of the season for us last year got around 13,000-14,000 from memory. Give Wigan Huddersfield at home this year for example and I think we’d get around that 13/14k mark again, so then you’re relying on circumstance at the time of the Leigh home game to get that 19/20k crowd you could’ve got. It would likely need to be a game between 1st and 2nd (along those lines) to get towards that 20k mark and I’d say that’s extremely unlikely. 

Wigan vs Leigh and the Hull derby are loop fixtures btw, so there are still 2 more to go at regardless. You have a possibility to use the loop fixtures for a positive purpose but I won’t hold my breath. I think your way of looking at it is likely how they’ll go. 

I think that that first Thursday or Friday has got to be Wigan v Leigh. Champions v CC winners. Local rivalry. Both sides made some good high profile signings, albeit maybe after the fixtures have been planned. For me it is an absolute given if we want to start the season with a bang. The Hull Derby is another good option for an opening week fixture.

2 hours ago, WN83 said:

That feels like a typical RFL strategy so I wouldn’t be surprised. It’s a huge risk that. I look at my suggestion of Wigan vs Leigh. I think it would get around 19,000-20,000 on. That same fixture in the middle of the season for us last year got around 13,000-14,000 from memory. Give Wigan Huddersfield at home this year for example and I think we’d get around that 13/14k mark again, so then you’re relying on circumstance at the time of the Leigh home game to get that 19/20k crowd you could’ve got. It would likely need to be a game between 1st and 2nd (along those lines) to get towards that 20k mark and I’d say that’s extremely unlikely. 

Wigan vs Leigh and the Hull derby are loop fixtures btw, so there are still 2 more to go at regardless. You have a possibility to use the loop fixtures for a positive purpose but I won’t hold my breath. I think your way of looking at it is likely how they’ll go. 

Wigan v Leigh has been Wigans second biggest gate when in SL, last season despite an early kick off on TV and Leigh being a bit busted after the semi still drew over 15000. First game would draw 20k plus and add in the Hull derby, Leeds Wire and Saints at home and we could be getting a 15k average gate for R1 - start off with a bang imo

Rd 1

Thursday Night - FC v KR 

Friday Night - Wigan v Leigh

Saturday Arvo - Catalans v London

Saturday Evening - Leeds v Castleford

Sunday Early - Saints v Warrington

Sunday Arvo - Hudds v Salford

Its imperative matches are spread over the course of the full weekend to keep a steady stream of newsworthy stories from Thursday to Monday.

19 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Rd 1

Thursday Night - FC v KR 

Its imperative matches are spread over the course of the full weekend to keep a steady stream of newsworthy stories from Thursday to Monday.

I agree about the spread. Some weekends it's all done by Friday night at 10pm, and that feels like a missed opportunity for SL.

I'm not convinced we are going to be as well scheduled as the NRL in this respect though, I think it will mirror the English RU approach tbh.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Rd 1

Thursday Night - FC v KR 

I don't think Leeds would appreciate the biggest gate of the season being wasted (for want of a better word) on an opener which would have elevated attendance by default - unless it was the season opener (but Leeds vs Cas is of more local interest than the other derbys).

Edited by M j M

Wigan should be aiming for 20k for a season opener against Leigh. Outside Saints matches they are rare but we have shown in the past with the Big One concept against Warrington that they are achievable and we should be going all out to achieve it. It wod be a pretty good way to start the season.

Edited by Damien

4 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

Wigan v Leigh has been Wigans second biggest gate when in SL, last season despite an early kick off on TV and Leigh being a bit busted after the semi still drew over 15000. First game would draw 20k plus and add in the Hull derby, Leeds Wire and Saints at home and we could be getting a 15k average gate for R1 - start off with a bang imo

Hadn't realised it was that high. Leigh's following was understandably impacted by the cup final but in a season opener they'd go close to filling the North Stand. It feels a no brainer that fixture to me, especially with it being a loop fixture, so there is still another home and away fixture each after this one. The buzz is there for both clubs and as pointed it, we'd have cup winners verses league champions (we must have an old charity shield lying around they could play for) and that gives it another dimension. It seems an open goal to me but Matthew Shaw seemed to hint we'd get Catalans. You're probably talking a 5/6k drop off in crowd in that one. Catalans seem to have a crowd that is about as steady as anybody's in the league, around that 8k+ mark whoever they play and whenever in the season they play, so a home tie for them against anybody will get draw a good attendance but also one that isn't likely to be much higher/lower part way through the year. 

6 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Broncos are away to Saints 😞

Paul

What are saturdays winning lottery numbers..😉

• Haha 1

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both