SL Pass 2024

I had been hoping that some kind of online service would become available for streaming Sl games in 2024, especially given that all games are set to be broadcast and IMG are experts in this type of thing.

A season pass for viewers outside of SKY sports RL boundaries (more or less everywhere in the world bar UK & Ireland, Aust & NZ) to watch SL games on a streaming service would be grand. Indeed I paid for such a service from 2019 to 2021 before it fell apart and was abandoned.

So, it's amazing to read here

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/news/12196/13013679/super-league-2024-fixtures-every-match-for-the-regular-season-plus-play-off-and-grand-final-dates

that something will definitely, probably, possibly be announced maybe next year.

Meanwhile, my Christmas present this year is that I've signed up to Watch NRL, every single game live and on demand for €130 the season.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

I had been hoping that some kind of online service would become available for streaming Sl games in 2024, especially given that all games are set to be broadcast and IMG are experts in this type of thing.

A season pass for viewers outside of SKY sports RL boundaries (more or less everywhere in the world bar UK & Ireland, Aust & NZ) to watch SL games on a streaming service would be grand. Indeed I paid for such a service from 2019 to 2021 before it fell apart and was abandoned.

So, it's amazing to read here

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/news/12196/13013679/super-league-2024-fixtures-every-match-for-the-regular-season-plus-play-off-and-grand-final-dates

that something will definitely, probably, possibly be announced maybe next year.

Meanwhile, my Christmas present this year is that I've signed up to Watch NRL, every single game live and on demand for €130 the season.

I hope Kayo in Australia picks up every SL game too

11 hours ago, Midlands hobo said:

Plus all NRLW and origin games, playoffs and Pacific championshio games. The fox tv talk shows and often NSW or q cup games. It works out about 300 odd games or less than 50p each.

Amazing, innit? Let's see what SL come up with....

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

It really feels like there is no excuse to not be able to have an international offering now. Surely this is the kind of thing that our transformational broadcast deal is absolutely here to deliver?

There's been nothing to stop them doing it for years. In fact, as @marklaspalmasknows, they did do it for a time. Then sort of forgot about it and stopped. It should have been a massive warning sign that they really weren't bothered about fans they couldn't drive to within 90 minutes of head office.

Yours,

A Handballtv.fr (€4 a month, bargain, come on you lovely Dunkerque boys) subscriber

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, marklaspalmas said:

Think I will let others "Test" it before I commit after getting burned and no refund when the last effort got pulled without any explanation. Used the Watch NRL app for a few years now and its great value.

Edited by yanto
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

There's been nothing to stop them doing it for years. In fact, as @marklaspalmasknows, they did do it for a time. Then sort of forgot about it and stopped. It should have been a massive warning sign that they really weren't bothered about fans they couldn't drive to within 90 minutes of head office.

Yours,

A Handballtv.fr (€4 a month, bargain, come on you lovely Dunkerque boys) subscriber

Of course, but with a strategic partner in place, and full coverage of every match, there are no excuses whatsoever. Only broadcasting two games per week may have meant it was a tough sell (I don;t buy that necessarily) - but they don;t have anything to hide behind.

3 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

Problem is NRL stagger the games. So one Thursday/Friday then 3 sat and a few Sunday. One after another so you can watch all of them live. SL basically choose to play all games concurrently so even if they do the product would be diminished by having games you could already have seen the results too.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Midlands hobo said:

Problem is NRL stagger the games. So one Thursday/Friday then 3 sat and a few Sunday. One after another so you can watch all of them live. SL basically choose to play all games concurrently so even if they do the product would be diminished by having games you could already have seen the results too.

SL don't play all games concurrently. 

7 minutes ago, Dave T said:

SL don't play all games concurrently. 

And even if they did, I don't see how this is a major block to an international streaming platform.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

And even if they did, I don't see how this is a major block to an international streaming platform.

People love to highlight the NFL. They absolutely have clashes. Customer choice is a real positive imo. 

It does look like many weeks we will have 4 slots for live games in SL. 

36 minutes ago, Dave T said:

People love to highlight the NFL. They absolutely have clashes. Customer choice is a real positive imo. 

It does look like many weeks we will have 4 slots for live games in SL. 

Not sure of it's actual name, but I believe they have NFL Redzone where people watch multiple games at once.

Think that can work for the NFL when you have 30 + seconds between each play and can look at another game and not miss much, not as much for RL.

• Like 1

The old SLTV subscription gave live or delayed access to the two live SKY matches every week. For 100 quid a year I was happy with that.

Simultaneous fixtures would be no problem, neither in SL or NRL. Just choose your live game and catch up on the other whenever.

• Like 1

Yes- you'd hope SL will sell this package around the world 

If Sky will show the 4 non exclusive games online via app- that's great for Sky subscribers but financially bad for RL. The amount of people who will stream in UK but don't have Sky is miniscule. Most matches will have buys of under 100 

If the 4 non exclusive games are PPV- that could get RL over a million pounds if well marketed 

On 24/11/2023 at 13:09, Click said:

Not sure of it's actual name, but I believe they have NFL Redzone where people watch multiple games at once.

Think that can work for the NFL when you have 30 + seconds between each play and can look at another game and not miss much, not as much for RL.

NFL redzone is great.. show whoever is within 20m of the line (redzone), sometimes multibox, if there is  a big break in play they swap around.. it keeps you interested.. unless your team is actually on the other side at which point i'd switch over. 

The thing with so many other sports is they want to solve problems, all play at the same time, no issue how do we put something out that makes it work.. rather than "oh well we wont bother then". RL, to me, seems to have a real issue with problem solving, you can see it with big matches and things like streaming.. they dont like looking outside of the box

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rugbyleaguesupporter said:

The amount of people who will stream in UK but don't have Sky is miniscule.

I'd like to see some numbers on this point. I'm not sure it's true.

I think there are plenty who don't want to have or cannot afford an expensive Sky package but might want to stream specific games.

They need to get cute with this - with a mix of a season pass, "Any 6 games|", Weekend Pass and One-off games. These days you have to give people lots of flexibility. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rugbyleaguesupporter said:

@paulwalker71a Sky Sports sub is around £20 a month (if you have Sky basic TV or an offer via now tv) 

Likely that youll get 18 to 24 live SL matches and 12 NRL matches a month on Sky next year 

I'm not sure many will pay £5 to £10 for one match- some but not many! 

Be interesting to know how many watched at that rate when OurLeague was showing Championship matches. I followed quite a few at a fiver a time and would do again. Was that information ever divulged by the RFL?

But am far more interested in Championship & League 1 so if it is SL only then any streaming pass is likely to be a hard pass, if you will excuse the pun, from me.

1 hour ago, Rugbyleaguesupporter said:

@paulwalker71a Sky Sports sub is around £20 a month (if you have Sky basic TV or an offer via now tv) 

Likely that youll get 18 to 24 live SL matches and 12 NRL matches a month on Sky next year 

I'm not sure many will pay £5 to £10 for one match- some but not many! 

I think any PPV offering will be niche, and probably limited to fans of the participating teams only. Neutrals will stick to hand-picked games from Sky I expect. 

• Like 2