Page XIII: Has the magic gone from Magic Weekend after Elland Road move?

WILL 2024 be the year the Magic Weekend loses its magic? I really do fear it will be after the powers that be moved the...

View the full article

Rugby League World magazine is published every month, available on print subscription (worldwide) and online for desktop, tablet and smartphone
Follow us on Twitter/X @rlworld / Instagram @rlworld / Threads @rlworld
Like us on Facebook - facebook.com/rugbyleagueworld

Leeds is a great city for a weekend.

Elland Road though is barely acceptable to watch one game in. Making an event out of multiple games there is the action of a person or persons totally out of touch with the event, the sport and the fanbase.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

More evidence that those running the game are out of touch with the fans. Not that it matters among the suits making these decisions.

Do tell us more about the suits and their decisions. Who are these people? Which decisions?

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

This thread is about the decision by superleague to hold magic weekend at Elland Road. Does that help?

No. It does not explain anything other than your distain for the games governing body and your dislike of people who wear suits.

I won't be going, and much preferred Newcastle, but that does not mean I thinks the RFL and associates are wrong, nor do I use it as an opportunity to slag them off on here.

Edited by JohnM

As someone living outside the heartlands, i really can not see any positive point moving magic to Leeds. what was the reason for having magic weekend in the first place in cities such as  Cardiff and Newcastle ? new audiences ? show piece at a modern stadium ?. somewhere along the line the plot has been lost. yet another backward move for the sport imo.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Damien said:

Sorry for providing a handy link so that people can see what was already said over 18 pages rather than wasting time repeating it.

I'm not speaking for others but sometimes I like a new thread rather than trawling through dozens of pages of a previous thread.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JohnM said:

No. It does not explain anything other than your distain for the games governing body and your dislike of people who wear suits.

I won't be going, and much preferred Newcastle, but that does not mean I thinks the RFL and associates are wrong, nor do I use it as an opportunity to slag them off on here.

My apologies to all those folks reading this thread wearing a suit. I truly do not dislike them. I was using the term in its current popular meaning of senior members and decision makers in large organisations who draw substantial incomes from the organisation and who generally take decisions that affect those who pay to support the organisation.

My ‘distain’ relates to the lack of consultation with those who pay to watch. Of course I might have missed the consultations with fans that led the suits to take this decision. If so I would be pleased to be directed towards the evidence from those consultations showing that the majority of fans wanted the magic weekend moved to Leeds.

Seems like you “thinks” that the RFL are right to shift the event to Elland Road. Well it is always healthy to have differences of opinion…and since that is what we are discussing here, neither I nor you are wrong.

I have no complaint about it moving to Elland Road. It's just that I and my wife will not be going. It may well be that staging Magic Weekend turns out to be more successful than Newcastle if it attracts more people and more money than Newcastle.

The current  RFL Board are risk averse  ( maybe they have to be prudent at the moment ) and RL Commercial don't want it to happen.

SL clubs wanted it to continue. The answer - bring it in house ( heartlands ).

It may now not lose money ( just ) but the concept has been killed.....

Leaving IMG to recommend new initiatives ?

• Like 1