Pre Season Friendly Thread

Wakefield have bossed the majority of the first half

wigan started with a very big strong pack including Thompson, Mago Walter’s but they’ve been matched if not bettered by Wakefields starting six. Trinity have moved the ball around much better than Wigan, creating space on both wings time and again 

McGillvary with 2 try’s Atoni with the other while Douglas got the try for Wigan

pS. Belle Vue looks like a different place

Never seen anything like that. Thirteen times the commentators said they’d gone off! New stand looked good (when I could see it) but they shouldn’t have fit motion sensor lights. 

In terms of the game, Wakey looked really good. They were much the better side. 

• Like 1

It’s strange that they’ve failed so many times

Id say it’s teething problems with so many new elements having been added at Trinity such as the big screen, the stand and the floodlights themselves but I’m sure the Football team has used them without a problem.

Anyway, lucky it happened in a friendly, needs sorting quick.

The game was of pretty good quality with Trinity probably edging it as the better team overall

• Like 1

It became a bit farcical once the floodlights started cutting out but I was impressed with what I saw from Wakefield. It was very much a game between a team that looked up to speed and one that didn't. There was a period where Wigan just couldn't stop conceding penalties and compounded it with bad errors.

Wakefield were very fluid moving the ball across the field and Wigan got caught out a bit with our back rowers of Walters and Chan not really being able to follow the play.

The commentators on Wigan TV had been saying as soon as the floodlights started cutting out that it could be dangerous if it happened when players were going into contact and that's what happened to prompt Chris Kendall to finally call the game off.

Edited by EagleEyePie

13 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

Id say it’s teething problems with so many new elements having been added at Trinity such as the big screen, the stand and the floodlights themselves but I’m sure the Football team has used them without a problem.

The game was of pretty good quality with Trinity probably edging it as the better team overall

It was the groundsmans kettle that broke the camels back. 

• Haha 2

Yes it was right to abandon the game. The floodlights have been in a full season now without previous problems, it seemed they kept tripping out. I am sure it will get sorted quickly. I thought Wakey looked sharp and fit . I know Wigan had a lot of fringe players but their pack was mostly first teamers and they way Wakey matched them up was the high light for me.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

They went off whilst the football team was playing not long back as well. There's a bug in the system somewhere.

49 minutes ago, JonM said:

Warrington 46 Widnes 40 FT - entertaining game.

Warrington's youngsters on their first run-out against the Widnes first team who warmed up  against Whitehaven last week.

Watched the stream, and although the line defence faltered a little for the young Warrington team in the second half, there was some excellent rugby played.   The match is on YouTube, and if you go to the 1 h 30 min mark there is some absolutely champagne stuff between 3 excellent prospects that ends with a try.   Right out of the top draw, and very encouraging to see.

Edited by Fly-By-TheWire
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, OMEGA said:

Wakefield have bossed the majority of the first half

wigan started with a very big strong pack including Thompson, Mago Walter’s but they’ve been matched if not bettered by Wakefields starting six. Trinity have moved the ball around much better than Wigan, creating space on both wings time and again 

McGillvary with 2 try’s Atoni with the other while Douglas got the try for Wigan

pS. Belle Vue looks like a different place

I bet it does in the dark 😂

• Haha 1

Wakefield statement:

The club would like to apologise to fans, Wigan Warriors and especially to Matty Ashurst for the issues which saw the match tonight abandoned after just over an hour.

Prior to the game we identified an electrical issue with the new sub station which was installed by contractors. This resulted in the big screen, Brookey’s Bar and Street Kitchen being closed down and switched off in order to try and manage the problem.

Throughout extensive testing in weeks leading up to the game, the club have had multiple successful floodlight tests and have encountered no similar issues.

As the game went on, we realised the issue had not been solved and we continued to attempt to isolate the problem alongside our duty electrician within the ground.

Unfortunately we were unable to solve the problem which led to referee Chris Kendall abandoning the game due to a player safety issue.

The club will now be doing everything in their power to swiftly resolve the issue and guarantee that this issue will never happen again. Plans are already in motion to hire a new electrical team to source a backup generator.

We would like to thank everyone who attended the game tonight in support of Matty Ashurst.

https://wakefieldtrinity.com/floodlights-statement/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fly-By-TheWire said:

Warrington's youngsters on their first run-out against the Widnes first team who warmed up  against Whitehaven last week.

Watched the stream, and although the line defence faltered a little for the young Warrington team in the second half, there was some excellent rugby played.   The match is on YouTube, and if you go to the 1 h 30 min mark there is some absolutely champagne stuff between 3 excellent prospects that ends with a try.   Right out of the top draw, and very encouraging to see.

I was pretty impressed by the Warrington youngsters, some superb attacking play, lightning fast at times and presumably some combinations that have not played together too often.

.Far from being the Widnes first choice team though,  as a quick look at the squad numbers would tell you.

4 hours ago, Damien said:

Huge win for York. Obviously still just having a Newcastle team is a result in itself:

Is this a sneaky dig at the 1895 cup, posting this in the friendlies thread? 😂

• Haha 2

On 26/01/2024 at 22:02, Fly-By-TheWire said:

What names should we be looking out for mate?

7 hours ago, On the buses said:

What names should we be looking out for mate?

Tom Whitehead and Luke Thomas were outstanding (both forwards who made a couple of first team appearances last year, although Whitehead played stand off in this game) and Cai Taylor-Wray who was outstanding deputising for Thewlis at fullback.   There aren't many decent British backs coming through at the moment, but with Lindop looking the real deal at centre to partner Wrench, it's looking good for Warrington in the back line.   Burgess has been quick to identify 3-4 who should be tied down long-term.   Mostly local lads like Walker, who have passion for their home town team.

Max Wood who has just signed from Wigan was also very good.

Edited by Fly-By-TheWire
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Fly-By-TheWire said:

Tom Whitehead and Luke Thomas were outstanding (both forwards who made a couple of first team appearances last year, although Whitehead played stand off in this game) and Cai Taylor-Wray who was outstanding deputising for Thewlis at fullback.   There aren't many decent British backs coming through at the moment, but with Lindop looking the real deal at centre to partner Wrench, it's looking good for Warrington in the back line.   Burgess has been quick to identify 3-4 who should be tied down long-term.   Mostly local lads like Walker, who have passion for their home town team.

Max Wood who has just signed from Wigan was also very good.

Good stuff mate and I’ll keep an eye out for those mentioned.