Player fitness tests

Dunbar

I was browsing through this Fox sports article about the fittest and strongest players from each NRL team (those that shared anyway).

The one that stands out is Tom Gilbert's 4:12 for the 1.2km time trial (the Bronco test). That is outstanding for a forward. 

Some of the bench and squat stats are impressive as well.

Got me thinking...

1. Do UK clubs publish this stuff?

2. Who would you have as fittest (say the Bronco test) and strongest (bench or squats) in Super League?

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/nrl-2023-every-clubs-fastest-fittest-strongest-players-tom-dearden-cowboys-damien-cook-rabbitohs-maika-sivo-eels-zac-lomax-dragons-sharks/news-story/762acd33459dd6ed240852aaecdae3f3

[Edit: after watching a tictoc video, I think that the Dolphins one may have been a straight 1.2km time trial and not the Bronco test... although not 100% sure]

Edited by Dunbar
  • Thanks 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I was browsing through this Fox sports article about the fittest and strongest players from each NRL team (those that shared anyway).

The one that stands out is Tom Gilbert's 4:12 for the 1.2km time trial (the Bronco test). That is outstanding for a forward. 

Some of the bench and squat stats are impressive as well.

Got me thinking...

1. Do UK clubs publish this stuff?

2. Who would you have as fittest (say the Bronco test) and strongest (bench or squats) in Super League?

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/nrl-2023-every-clubs-fastest-fittest-strongest-players-tom-dearden-cowboys-damien-cook-rabbitohs-maika-sivo-eels-zac-lomax-dragons-sharks/news-story/762acd33459dd6ed240852aaecdae3f3

Surprised at Heilum Luki benching 170g....that must be on a Smith machine....way too tall and lean to be benching over 3 plates I'd say 

Saw this too and piqued my interest.  Looks like only some clubs gave some genuine input.
Always thought a RL version of the NFL Combine could be quite interesting. Testing strength, speed and fitness, with a competitive edge - as an event pre season. 
Doubt clubs wouldn’t get behind such a thing, but from a fans point of view i think it could be fun.

• Like 2

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

My guess for SL would be Matty Ashton undoubtedly for Pace, For Fitness I would say guys like Garcia, Yates, Danny Walker, Knowles, and Mustapha. 

And for the outright strongest/biggest players in SL, my top guys would be Walmsley, Kasiano, Pele, Sangare, and Amone. But for Strength Relative to size, I would think guys like Mustapha, Ryan Hall, Hurrell, and Charnley

Edited by NRLandSL

This thread reminds me of an Aussie player from a few years ago. Quickly established a formidable reputation in the weights room having bench pressed 240kg. His S & C coach at Norths said he'd back him to outlift any other NRL forward. 

One day it's announced that he is signing for Featherstone Rovers. As you can imagine, Fev fans got very giddy about the arrival of this behemoth, with the anticipation heightened when his visa took half the season to come through.

Eventually he arrived in the UK. His name was Ryan Verlinden, and I don't think there's a single Fev fan who thought he was any use whatsoever as a RL player.

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Surprised at Heilum Luki benching 170g....that must be on a Smith machine....way too tall and lean to be benching over 3 plates I'd say 

I've seen a fair few examples of players bench pressing that and more. I'd say amongst forwards particularly it certainly wouldn't be uncommon for a 1 rep max.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GeordieSaint said:

What do they mean by a shuttle run - is it the bleep test equivalent in Aus?

It is 20m and return, 40m and return and then 60m and return.

Repeat 5 times, no rest.

1.2km in total.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

It is 20m and return, 40m and return and then 60m and return.

Repeat 5 times, no rest.

1.2km in total.

Thanks. I was thinking the times weren’t actually that impressive if it was a straight 1.2km run. But they are good considering you have to turn 180 consistently.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

You've seen it or heard it? (Genuine question) 

I've seen amateur players do it, and not just 1 rep, admittedly not many of them, so I'd think it would be reasonably common for Superleague forwards.

On the broader question posed by the OP, we might be surprised by the results if they were ever published. A Whitehaven player I worked with once told me who the strongest and fittest players he had trained with in his time there. Some names mentioned were as you'd expect but one or two were really surprising. Also  a former Wigan junior I worked with told me Bateman wasn't the strongest in the gym but in training nobody could handle him.

• Like 1

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

18 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

You've seen it or heard it? (Genuine question) 

Both, seen it in articles like this and books over the years. In Wayne Bennett's book I always remember the stuff about Dave Taylor, him being able to just lift as much as he wanted, and Bennett actually stopping him doing weights, as he just got far too big and strong and it was detrimental to his game. Also heard stories about players too at a few clubs.

As we are talking about Bench Press here is an article from a few years aho showing Tommy Leuluai bench pressing 172kg despite weighing only 86kg and a forward like Hala Bench Pressing 200kg:

Thomas Leuluai is the strongest back at the club, bench pressing twice his body weight.

Leuluai tips the scales at 86 kilos which gives him a bench press of 172 kilos.

During pre-season, the spotlight was on forward David Hala in the weights room.

The former Bronco weighs in at 120kg and regularly bench presses 200 kilos.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/nrl-fittest-fastest-and-strongest-of-2016-revealed/6UB4WAIINMXGCD3V2KOU66Z3TU/#:~:text=Darius Boyd and Andrew McCullough,told foxsports.com.au.

Edited by Damien

1 hour ago, GeordieSaint said:

Thanks. I was thinking the times weren’t actually that impressive if it was a straight 1.2km run. But they are good considering you have to turn 180 consistently.

Edit

Edited by Dunbar

13 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Who would you have as fittest (say the Bronco test)

To answer my own question.  Without any data to go on, just watching teams play, I would suggest Ash Handley would be a good candidate for a strong 1.2km Bronco test time.

Fast and agile, he has a runners build and seems to have a decent engine.

1 hour ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

I've seen amateur players do it, and not just 1 rep, admittedly not many of them, so I'd think it would be reasonably common for Superleague forwards.

On the broader question posed by the OP, we might be surprised by the results if they were ever published. A Whitehaven player I worked with once told me who the strongest and fittest players he had trained with in his time there. Some names mentioned were as you'd expect but one or two were really surprising. Also  a former Wigan junior I worked with told me Bateman wasn't the strongest in the gym but in training nobody could handle him.

And that leads to another point, there is a huge difference between gym strength and RL specific functional strength.

Someone like Bateman, or George Williams who was someone always said to have great core strength at Wigan with doing judo as a kid, would be prime examples of this. I think we have all played with and watched players that physically look the part and are immense in the gym doing beach weights but are then surprisingly weak on a RL pitch.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

On his podcast James Graham admitted to not being one for the gym

18 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

I think you have to drop onto your stomach and back up at every turn too. Or at least that's what I have done when I've done the bronco in the past.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MZH said:

I think you have to drop onto your stomach and back up at every turn too. Or at least that's what I have done when I've done the bronco in the past.

There is that variation but from the club videos I have seen, they are not doing that.  But enough variations to make club and player comparisons difficult. 

On 01/01/2024 at 05:11, MZH said:

Now that would be mental. I know someone who can run 2km in 6mins flat but they had a running scholarship in the US. Turning and dropping onto your stomach would be that pace. 

On 01/01/2024 at 15:11, MZH said:

That's the Malcolms. Start on your stomach, forward 10, on your stomach, back 20, on your stomach and back to the start on your stomach.

They're both brutal.

new rise.jpg

On 01/01/2024 at 05:11, MZH said:

The ‘test’ is without dropping down and what is used mostly.

Of course, the addition of dropping down is a different option!  Character building 🤪

• 4 weeks later...

Saw this and was reminded of this thread. 175kg is obviously good but over 20 reps at over 100kg blows my mind even more:

We were informed that England starlet Tyler Dupree can bench press up to 175kg, and comfortably does over 20 reps at 100kg.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/inside-the-diet-of-wigan-warriors-powerhouse-patrick-mago-as-clubs-head-chef-talks-fuelling-super-league-champions

• Like 1